Attn: Game devs.

deluges

Dec 28, 2018
Hi. I hate to break it to you, but 98.9% of you are terrible at utilizing the English language. (Hopefully) Most of you are non-native speakers, which is fine, but what's not fine is that you don't seem to be using editors. The thing is, though, plenty of people, myself included, would be willing to help you out! I don't even think you'd actually need to pay anyone to do it, too. Please, please ask your patrons, or the simple folk on your game threads, if they'd like to help clean up any grammatical issues. It's not really that hard, just copy your dialogue into a text document, email it to someone, have it be corrected, and insert the corrections into the game. So easy even a caveman can do it. I know it's weird complaining about grammar when we're mainly supposed to just be getting of to them but, for fuck's sake, I feel dumb playing some of these, when I should merely feel like a pervert. Think about the grammar nazis aficionados, won't you?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Not to sound rude but you'd be more helpful writing in those games' threads rather than making a whole new thread without even mentioning a single game.
If all it took to write good English was somebody saying "Pls write better english" then everyone would be Shakespeare.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Nothing attracts patrons faster than bad grammar. Some people will actually pay you monthly for the opportunity to demonstrate their superior spelling and grammar ability. Be polite, take their money, and let them feel special.

What made the hearse horse hoarse?
˙uıɟɟoɔ ǝɥʇ

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Nothing attracts patrons faster than bad grammar. Some people will actually pay you monthly for the opportunity to demonstrate their superior spelling and grammar ability. Be polite, take their money, and let them feel special.

What made the hearse horse hoarse?
˙uıɟɟoɔ ǝɥʇ
If only they did that with bad 2D art... :(

deluges

Dec 28, 2018
Not to sound rude but you'd be more helpful writing in those games' threads rather than making a whole new thread without even mentioning a single game.
If all it took to write good English was somebody saying "Pls write better english" then everyone would be Shakespeare.
The fact that I said 98.9% should clue you in on the fact that this would be an arduous fucking task. Every dev should have an editor was my main point. That they're also not hard to find would be my second one.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
The fact that I said 98.9% should clue you in on the fact that this would be an arduous fucking task. Every dev should have an editor was my main point. That they're also not hard to find would be my second one.
You got editor money? No? Take a seat.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
...did you even read what I wrote?
Ironically, again, if you'd like to be more productive here, you could offer those services to the games you like that you feel need it most. Can't really say I need one, as a native speaker, granted, I'm not perfect, but my language is usually fine. Threads like this are negative, they invite negativity. Go directly to the ones you want most, and offer to help, that's productive.

deluges

Dec 28, 2018
Ironically, again, if you'd like to be more productive here, you could offer those services to the games you like that you feel need it most. Can't really say I need one, as a native speaker, granted, I'm not perfect, but my language is usually fine. Threads like this are negative, they invite negativity. Go directly to the ones you want most, and offer to help, that's productive.
Again, it's far more efficient to address a significant problem at once than to go to nearly every single game I've ever played and be like, "btw, you should ask for editing help."

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
You got editor money? No? Take a seat.
He said they would be willing to do it for free.

Taking aside the veracity of that, I would personally feel super bad about asking for someone to be an editor for free, hence why I also suggested to simply write in their games' threads and offer his help.

Reactions: DarthSeduction

deluges

Dec 28, 2018
He said they would be willing to do it for free.

Taking aside the veracity of that, I would personally feel super bad about asking for someone to be an editor for free, hence why I also suggested to simply write in their games' threads and offer his help.
It's not just me, I've seen other people ask to do the same thing. Some people who really enjoy certain games would like to see them be the best that they can be. I also see these requests neglected. Also, not every dev goes to their game threads, which is why I suggested Patreon as well. I think you'd be surprised by the willingness of supporters, what I'm surprised by is that I don't see anyone asking for help even though in reviews for games you can often see people addressing a game's grammar in their review. Hell, I've even seen people so turned off by the English in the game's overview that they've flat out refused to even play it.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
It's not just me, I've seen other people ask to do the same thing. Some people who really enjoy certain games would like to see them be the best that they can be. I also see these requests neglected. Also, not every dev goes to their game threads, which is why I suggested Patreon as well. I think you'd be surprised by the willingness of supporters, what I'm surprised by is that I don't see anyone asking for help even though in reviews for games you can often see people addressing a game's grammar in their review. Hell, I've even seen people so turned off by the English in the game's overview that they've flat out refused to even play it.
I am sure they have their reasons, VNs contain A LOT of text, as far as you are pointing out a few mistakes then you can facepalm yourself, thank them and fix those few lines but if the whole game is a grammatical mess, an editor becomes an actual job and should be paid imho.

It could be a morality-type of thing, they do not want them to work for free but neither can they afford one... Or they simply do not care.
Regardless of the reason, I do not think threads such as these will magically open their eyes and make them seek for an editor.

deluges

Dec 28, 2018
I am sure they have their reasons, VNs contain A LOT of text, as far as you are pointing out a few mistakes then you can facepalm yourself, thank them and fix those few lines but if the whole game is a grammatical mess, an editor becomes an actual job and should be paid imho.

It could be a morality-type of thing, they do not want them to work for free but neither can they afford one... Or they simply do not care.
Regardless of the reason, I do not think threads such as these will magically open their eyes and make them seek for an editor.
Of course not, but I don't see how it could hurt. If it truly is apathy, that's unfortunate since they're charging money for something they know is faulty, but hey, no one's forcing anyone to pay for it and most people here are playing shit for free anyway. Moot point, I guess.

Reactions: Winterfire

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
I have about 1100 Japanese games that aren't allowed here, because they need translation. Where do you want to start?

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
I have about 1100 Japanese games that aren't allowed here, because they need translation. Where do you want to start?

It shouldn't be a question, we need bunny black 3 in english pls.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Oh, I wasn't aware that translating was the same as editing English.
Many of these games are made in other languages. The errors you see are where machine translate fails.
It's not because the game developer is a third grader.