AVN in Short Story form, or Anthology of Short Stories

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
Would anyone be interested in an AVN that is basically just a short story, that is focused on a single fetish as a one off? Or perhaps an anthology of short stories VN? By short story VN I mean perhaps between 30 minutes and an hour of content per story. Something that presents a scenario and plays that scene out to completion. This kind of story would be almost kinetic or have minimal choices throughout. I'm just curious because I'm not sure if I've seen anyone try something like it other than the "This is my first game, just learning" kind of thing occasionally.

Last edited:

VMiller

Mar 7, 2023
This is a very good idea. I was thinking about making a game about a company office. Lots of employees in the office having relationships or just one-time sex, cheating on their spouses, and so on. That way you can make a game whose scenario isn't limited to one fetish and doesn't go to a dead end.
Lots of little stories instead of one big one.

tanstaafl

Oct 29, 2018
This is a very good idea. I was thinking about making a game about a company office. Lots of employees in the office having relationships or just one-time sex, cheating on their spouses, and so on. That way you can make a game whose scenario isn't limited to one fetish and doesn't go to a dead end.
Lots of little stories instead of one big one.
It hadn't even occurred to me about the anthology bit having a common base, IE the office with different scenarios per instance. That's a great addition to the idea, lol.

Jaike

Aug 24, 2020
Would anyone be interested in an AVN that is basically just a short story, that is focused on a single fetish as a one off? Or perhaps an anthology of short stories VN? By short story VN I mean perhaps between 30 minutes and an hour of content per story. Something that presents a scenario and plays that scene out to completion. This kind of story would be almost kinetic or have minimal choices throughout. I'm just curious because I'm not sure if I've seen anyone try something like it other than the "This is my first game, just learning" kind of thing occasionally.
Probably? Dumb Koala's VNs are pretty short and almost kinetic with a focus on loli and a handful other fetishes. The anthology idea is similar to MET 3500, where there's an overlapping cat cast and themes in different scenarios.

Last edited:

ShamanLab

[Industry News] Weird behavior (c)
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Hi, there! :)

I'm dev of 'MET 3500' and 'Nick Marlowe Noir' (Nick Marlowe in fact is mostly set of loosely connected short stories).

As a developer, I find it very comfortable to work in the short story anthology format. This gives a lot of freedom. But on the other hand, I find that only a fraction of the potential audience is receptive to this format. I do not know why. :( It seems to me that some people simply ignore my novel when they find out that this is an anthology of short stories. Again, I still don’t see an explanation for this fact, but it seems that way. Perhaps this is just the momentum of the thinking of some users who are used to that all the games here are in a different format.

But I can say that Dumb Koala novels are very successful commercially and in terms of ratings. Koala's selling point is mainly in high-quality and recognizable 3D art...

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I've thought about it many times and I think it's a good idea.

it's super labor intensive though, as you need to come up with new characters and assets every time. it's like the only good thing about a big project, you only have to create the world and sets once and then just reuse everything forever.

but as far as story goes, the restricted scope would prevent a lot of the failures these games tend to have. like losing focus, rambling, not going anywhere, not having an ending etc...

Reactions: ShamanLab

Nobody Cares

Game Developer
Oct 8, 2017
My personal tastes tend to focus on romance. I tend to prefer games with few well developed characters. Still, an anthologic format could work really well. I would certainly give it a download.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
I find that only a fraction of the potential audience is receptive to this format. I do not know why.
never clicked on your stories despite having seen them, so I'll make a guess on why we who don't click on them do what we do.

first thing I spot is 'marlowe' which makes me associate detective story, then I spot 'noir' and it's confirmed. at this point I'm already mentally skipping it because I'm not looking for detective stories (even though I like them). I don't think anyone here is looking for detective stories when they go through a million new games, they're looking for some fetish complexes. and nothing in your game communicates a fetish that might hook me in.

that's one of the problems with 'original stories'. nobody (here) cares about those stories, no matter how they claim they do. so it doesn't trigger the response of stopping browsing and checking out what it is. when you're browsing for big milf tits you skip 'detective story', 'mafia story' etc. because it's not the grain of sand your brain is trying to filter out from a pile of sand.

just like while googling we jump over ANYTHING that doesn't directly associate with what we're searching for.

but now that I look at nick marlowe previews, I instantly love how much storytelling you have in the images alone. that already tells me you're probably a good storyteller and the shorts are probably very good.

it's just that a gay cliche like an unshaven macho dude in pilot glasses doesn't pull me in when I'm looking for thicc milfs. (not that the dude isn't a great character, hejust isn't what might make me stop browsing for milfs. and I think that applies to 99% of fetishes people look for).

and I don't mean the first image I see should be tits in my face, it just needs to associate with the fetish I'm looking for. a picture of a suburban home with the title "soccer mom" would pull me in instantly because it connects to what I'm looking for, no women in preview required. where as 'suburban mystery' would not pull me in even if it were the same exact game and preview. one triggers me to check it out, the other makes me skip.

ShamanLab

[Industry News] Weird behavior (c)
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Also need to keep in mind that the anthology format does not work well with such popular topics here as incest, family simulator, long romance and even harem. Might work with NTR or futa... but that's not my thing. :)