Avoiding Patreon strikes by not using links

Nyctelios

Aug 12, 2018
I've been browsing forums relating to patreon's policy against incest for a while, and it seems the best method to not have your account striked is to simply not include any actual links to the game on your page. However, I'm not sure if this means no direct download links or no links whatsoever to any website featuring the game with download links on it. If someone here can clear this up that would be very helpful, and if anyone has any alternatives feel free to suggest. All ears here.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Your Artist page on Patreon should not mention the game at all. Your pictures of old women and their young boy toy does not depict incest, unless you say it does. Someone else is using your pics to make games, and that has nothing to do with you.

• Love
Reactions: Winterfire

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I've been browsing forums relating to patreon's policy against incest for a while, and it seems the best method to not have your account striked is to simply not include any actual links to the game on your page. However, I'm not sure if this means no direct download links or no links whatsoever to any website featuring the game with download links on it. If someone here can clear this up that would be very helpful, and if anyone has any alternatives feel free to suggest. All ears here.
Well, when the ban started, Mr Dots (Dating My Daughter's dev) created his website, and moved all the download links there. It wasn't enough and Patreon hit him because of this, forcing him to start a second game.
The problem is that Patreon do not ban this or that content from their site, but forbid you to fund a game having such content. Therefore, the only possibility is to have no link to the game, not talk about it, and to have another game, without banned content, to justify the pledges.

But it's not a really good idea. Mr Dots had a little more than when he was stroke, against less than 3000 when he finished his "excuse game", Melody, few months ago. And we are talking here about an established dev that had a solid base of patrons when all this started, and at this time was in the top 10 of the creators ; therefore someone that Patreon had no intent to let go, what led to the "excuse game" compromise.
How a newcomer could make understand, without a single word, that pledging to him via patron would fund a game he never talk about on his Patreon page ? How could he explain that the download links can be found on a website he never talk about ? And how the players would know where to go for the pledge, and where to go for the download ?
There the "excuse game", but with dev's names being a pseudonym, how to be sure that you'll effectively give your money to the right guy, and not to some imposter using the same pseudonym ? You can't, so in doubt you'll not do it.

Reactions: Rich

NerVreN

Apr 2, 2019
I'm interested in this topic, particularly on incest patches and how they work on patreon. Incest patches seem to be a nice alternative to patreon strikes, the other alternative is giving the option to the player to name the characters and relationships using the non-incest as a default. Still I have no clear idea of how the patches work, are they provided by the game developer or they are created by the fan base? Are they safe to be used on patreon as long as you don't post any link or eventually patreon will track the patch and strike you? So many doubts x.x

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I'm interested in this topic, particularly on incest patches and how they work on patreon. Incest patches seem to be a nice alternative to patreon strikes, the other alternative is giving the option to the player to name the characters and relationships using the non-incest as a default.
Lately, Patreon has been cracking down on that. If, for example, you game asks you to put in a relationship and you can put in a relationship that would be incestuous, they'll suspend you if somebody reports it to them.

Still I have no clear idea of how the patches work, are they provided by the game developer or they are created by the fan base?
There is a mix. In some cases, there are patches that are produced without the help of the developer, particularly in Ren'py games, where it's possible to create an add-on that overrides some of the original code. (I won't go into technical detail.) You can usually identify patches of this type because they tend to be large, since they usually bring in replacement text and sometimes additional images.

However, many many games are coded to include both "forbidden" and "sanctioned" content, and then flip from one to the other with a very tiny patch that just changes a variable value in the game. Basically, the default game has something like:
Code:
define incest_patch = False
and then the patch has a single file, designed to load after the above, that instead says
Code:
define incest_patch = True
If the second file loads after the first (and their are ways to guarantee that in Ren'py), then when the patch is present, the variable will have True for a value.

Then throughout the game, there's a bunch of built-in code that goes:
Code:
if incest_patch:
    mc "Hey, Mom..."
else:
    mc "Hey, Mrs. Landlady..."
There are other variants such as
Code:
if renpy.loadable("patch.py"):
    mc "Hey, Mom..."
else:
    mc "Hey, Mrs. Landlady..."
that simply test for the presence or absence of an add-on file. The essential fact is that the game carries both sets of content, and switches between them. In my experience, this is the more common way of doing such things (at least in Ren'py). I suppose that if Patreon really went to the point of decompiling your code and looking at it (which, afaik, they never do), they'd suspend you for this. So, theoretically, the "serious add-on content" approach is more deniable, but it's also technically more difficult.

Are they safe to be used on patreon as long as you don't post any link or eventually patreon will track the patch and strike you? So many doubts x.x
For the most part, even if the developer himself makes the patch, if it's provided through a route that can't be traced back to the developer, Patreon will probably let it go. However, if the developer himself makes the patch available (and if it's reported), Patreon will suspend you. (Personal experience.) That's one reason that many patches are provided through places like LewdPatcher - because you can't tell who posted it.

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Just seeing it in a game I test remembered me of something...

However, many many games are coded to include both "forbidden" and "sanctioned" content, and then flip from one to the other with a very tiny patch that just changes a variable value in the game. [...] I suppose that if Patreon really went to the point of decompiling your code and looking at it (which, afaik, they never do), they'd suspend you for this.
This also apply for those who carefully goes for the long way, creating an independent patch that change everything that need to be changed... but still names their variables "monLove", "sisLust" and other "auntFucked".

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
There's a difference between laws, and rules. Our respective states, territories, republics, countries, etc. have different laws for a reason. Mostly because of the beliefs, morals... of the people that live there. Make no mistake, globalist don't care about your rights, or the will of the people... they want to impose international rules on everyone. They have had this agenda for a long time.

Changing laws is not easy. It costs a lot of money to buy a politician. Ask my friend Jack Abramoff, he'll tell you politicians cost a fortune, and there's no guarantee on your investment. Globalist have spent billions of dollars lobbying politicians to disarm the American people for decades, unsuccessfully.

images.jpg

Globalist still bribe politicians, despite the futility... but they have gotten wiser over the years. When you buy controlling interest in a corporation, you make the rules for that corporation's policy. We're all familiar with Verizon's purchase of tumblr, and how they changed tumblr policy to not allow content that is completely legal in most parts of the world.
This is just one example of how dangerous this is to people's rights, and the trampling thereof by these global terrorists.
It only cost Verizon $1.1 B to impose sharia on all of the tumblr infidels. They couldn't be happier with themselves, the cost of their actions didn't cost them anything, their shareholders suffered the loss.

The group that bought control of Patreon, may be the same people, it certainly follows their M.O. buy control, change the rules, even if it destroys the company, it's cheaper, and more effective than bribing politicians.

I quit using Patreon almost 2 years ago, because it is directly funding terrorism. I can't in good conscience give these assholes money. If your morals, and values are not in alignment with what these scumbags are doing, you should avoid Patreon as well.

Reactions: A1249

Nyctelios

Aug 12, 2018
Well, when the ban started, Mr Dots (Dating My Daughter's dev) created his website, and moved all the download links there. It wasn't enough and Patreon hit him because of this, forcing him to start a second game.
The problem is that Patreon do not ban this or that content from their site, but forbid you to fund a game having such content. Therefore, the only possibility is to have no link to the game, not talk about it, and to have another game, without banned content, to justify the pledges.

But it's not a really good idea. Mr Dots had a little more than when he was stroke, against less than 3000 when he finished his "excuse game", Melody, few months ago. And we are talking here about an established dev that had a solid base of patrons when all this started, and at this time was in the top 10 of the creators ; therefore someone that Patreon had no intent to let go, what led to the "excuse game" compromise.
How a newcomer could make understand, without a single word, that pledging to him via patron would fund a game he never talk about on his Patreon page ? How could he explain that the download links can be found on a website he never talk about ? And how the players would know where to go for the pledge, and where to go for the download ?
There the "excuse game", but with dev's names being a pseudonym, how to be sure that you'll effectively give your money to the right guy, and not to some imposter using the same pseudonym ? You can't, so in doubt you'll not do it.
Probably best not to start with the incest game then lol. Still, I imagine he was still able to talk about the game on other websites and still promote his Patreon, no?

anne O'nymous

Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Still, I imagine he was still able to talk about the game on other websites and still promote his Patreon, no?
Not really. You can not directly talk about your game if you know that it shouldn't exist.
Whatever the pseudonym under which the game is made, and if it's me or not who say that you can support the dev on "this Patreon page", then the said patreon page is used to fund a banned game. If someone say to Patreon, "hey, look at this URL, someone is making a game that have banned content and use your site to fund it", you'll be in trouble.

Nyctelios

Aug 12, 2018
Not really. You can not directly talk about your game if you know that it shouldn't exist.
Whatever the pseudonym under which the game is made, and if it's me or not who say that you can support the dev on "this Patreon page", then the said patreon page is used to fund a banned game. If someone say to Patreon, "hey, look at this URL, someone is making a game that have banned content and use your site to fund it", you'll be in trouble.
Jfc that alternative platform can't come soon enough

JR81

Feb 28, 2017
I noticed over the last few days, that it seems Patreons puritan holier-than-thou disease has now spread, at least in some respects, to C4S, ManyVids and the like, which now only allows "step" content descriptions :poop: