Mod Ren'Py Bad Memories [v0.8.5] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Okay, that porting was rather painless (thank goodness). I have a few things in the mod's Core to tweak due to the dev using similar fixes as my previous ones and I need to insure they don't override one-another. We've got this.

Note: I'll make this mod update a "pure" v0.8.1 VN update. This means that if you find you are having the gender issue during Rachel's final update scene that Meushi hotfixed, then grab his fix... it'll be fully compatible with the mod. I know his fix is correct but me knowing this dev he might resolve it slightly different in the next VN update and I don't want to miss staying on point. Meushi and I have worked together in the past (especially sorting the mess that was AOA) so know that his code and mine are generally always compatible with one-another.

Anyway, let me get back to it, I've clients coming in again today so my time is a bit limited this morning. Regards.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
SanchoMod Update (v0.8.1)
1682434497180.png
Go get you some.

Links in OP are updated accordingly.

A very special thank you to Night Hacker for the assist, this wouldn't have been possible without you.

Meushi's hotfix is included in the mod update code... I had to do it since the dev's code was simply borked and his hotfix is mandatory if playing the Male protagonist. All credits to Meushi for this particular fix.

Enjoy and regards.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
I just tried my original saved game which I tried when i first encountered the save error and got the same one. My NEWER saves worked okay, but that one does not. It was my last save before 8.0. It loads with 8.1 unmodded.

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 463, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 35, in script
    $ ui.interact()
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1131, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 1061, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_load_save.rpym", line 35, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 299, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3377, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 4258, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 1175, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "renpy/display/transition.py", line 53, in event
    return self.new_widget.event(ev, x, y, st) # E1101
  File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 743, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 1399, in event
    rv = super(Window, self).event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 279, in event
    rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 1073, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 1008, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 322, in run
    new_rv = run(i, *args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 329, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
    renpy.load(fn)
  File "renpy/loadsave.py", line 769, in load
    log.unfreeze(roots, label="_after_load")
  File "renpy/rollback.py", line 1078, in unfreeze
    self.rollback(0, force=True, label=label, greedy=greedy, on_load=True)
  File "renpy/rollback.py", line 889, in rollback
    self.load_failed()
  File "renpy/rollback.py", line 807, in load_failed
    raise Exception("Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?")
Exception: Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?

Windows-10-10.0.19041 AMD64
Ren'Py 7.5.3.22090809
Bad Memories 0.8.1
Tue Apr 25 17:22:30 2023
I finally located the saved games folder... so attaching my saved game that causes this...
View attachment 6-3-LT1.save

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I just tried my original saved game which I tried when i first encountered the save error and got the same one. My NEWER saves worked okay, but that one does not. It was my last save before 8.0. It loads with 8.1 unmodded.

Code:

While running game code:
    renpy.load(fn)

Full traceback:
    $ ui.interact()
    $ ui.interact()
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, pause_modal=pause_modal, **kwargs) # type: ignore
    rv = run(action)
    renpy.load(fn)
    self.load_failed()
    raise Exception("Couldn't find a place to stop rolling back. Perhaps the script changed in an incompatible way?")

Ren'Py 7.5.3.22090809
Bad Memories 0.8.1
I finally located the saved games folder... so attaching my saved game that causes this...
View attachment 2573503
Apologies, I wasn't tagged so didn't see you had an issue.

In this particular case there's only one solution since the dev changed so much code. With the description you describe of being able to load the save unmodded but not with the mod installed, do the following in the exact order... it's a bit technical but I believe you can handle it and should allow that particular save file to load:
  1. Like you've done a few times - install the VN (do not run the VN yet)
  2. Install the mod as normal (again do not run the VN yet)
  3. From the original VN zip from step 1 copy/extract the 17 files ending in .rpyc (NOT the .rpy but the .rpyc, this is very important) from the VN's original zip and paste/extract just those particular files overwriting the mod's .rpyc files
  4. Now you can finally start the VN. It should take it a bit longer than normal to boot up since it's recreating all the .rpyc files but now that original save file you had should load. I have not tried it but in theory that should get you done.
Let me know if that this works for ya. Again, I didn't test your file (I'm away from the studio at the moment) but that should work. If it does work then any saves you made AFTER installing the mod previously will likely have some issues loading (the exact vice-versa of your current situation). This is due to the dev swapping all the .rpyc's in v0.8.1 versus what was in v0.8.0... it's a bit of a mess tbh... all rooted to the dev's original decision to change the MC's naming variable. That's the root of all these save file loading issues at the very core.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Apologies, I wasn't tagged so didn't see you had an issue.

In this particular case there's only one solution since the dev changed so much code. With the description you describe of being able to load the save unmodded but not with the mod installed, do the following in the exact order... it's a bit technical but I believe you can handle it and should allow that particular save file to load:
  1. Like you've done a few times - install the VN (do not run the VN yet)
  2. Install the mod as normal (again do not run the VN yet)
  3. From the original VN zip from step 1 copy/extract the 17 files ending in .rpyc (NOT the .rpy but the .rpyc, this is very important) from the VN's original zip and paste/extract just those particular files overwriting the mod's .rpyc files
  4. Now you can finally start the VN. It should take it a bit longer than normal to boot up since it's recreating all the .rpyc files but now that original save file you had should load. I have not tried it but in theory that should get you done.
Let me know if that this works for ya. Again, I didn't test your file (I'm away from the studio at the moment) but that should work. If it does work then any saves you made AFTER installing the mod previously will likely have some issues loading (the exact vice-versa of your current situation). This is due to the dev swapping all the .rpyc's in v0.8.1 versus what was in v0.8.0... it's a bit of a mess tbh... all rooted to the dev's original decision to change the MC's naming variable. That's the root of all these save file loading issues at the very core.
Wouldn't simply deleting the RPYC's work once the mod is installed? I mean, the game will recreate them if they're not there anymore.

I'll try that tomorrow anyhow, it's not a huge issue with me, but I am curious about resolving this.

Mar 27, 2018
Please, help. I extracted the base game and copied the mod into the game folder in the base game. When i try to launch the game i get this error and the game won't launch.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Wouldn't simply deleting the RPYC's work once the mod is installed? I mean, the game will recreate them if they're not there anymore.
No, that's why I wrote the instructions for you... RenPy doesn't just rewrite the rpyc, it reads them first... the read portion is imperative.

Please, help. I extracted the base game and copied the mod into the game folder in the base game. When i try to launch the game i get this error and the game won't launch.
You've installed the mod incorrectly. Note this line in your traceback:
Exception: Line with id dateTime_3e0aad91 appeared twice, at:
game/Bad-Memories-0.8.1 - SanchoMod/conditions.rpyc:2447 and
game/conditions.rpy:2437.

The contents of the mod's zip go inside the "/game" folder but you have created a new subfolder under "/game" called "Bad-Memories-0.8.1 - SanchoMod"... do you see? Delete that folder. Copy/paste or extract the zip contents only inside the "/game" folder, don't create a new directory and put the contents in that new directory which is what you've done.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
No, that's why I wrote the instructions for you... RenPy doesn't just rewrite the rpyc, it reads them first... the read portion is imperative.

You've installed the mod incorrectly. Note this line in your traceback:
Exception: Line with id dateTime_3e0aad91 appeared twice, at:
game/Bad-Memories-0.8.1 - SanchoMod/conditions.rpyc:2447 and
game/conditions.rpy:2437.

The contents of the mod's zip go inside the "/game" folder but you have created a new subfolder under "/game" called "Bad-Memories-0.8.1 - SanchoMod"... do you see? Delete that folder. Copy/paste or extract the zip contents only inside the "/game" folder, don't create a new directory and put the contents in that new directory which is what you've done.
I'll try that but... sorry, that makes no sense to me. RenPY would read the RPY file, recompile it as it is a scripting language, the RPYC file is simply the compiled version of it. The RPYC should simply be overwritten by the newly compiled RPY file. The RPYC is read in... once the RPY is compiled (hence the "C" on the end of the RPY), but if the RPY has changed and needs to be recompiled, the RPYC will never be read in until it had recompiled the RPY into a new RPYC file.

I DO understand how compiling etc works after programming in C for decades which is why those instructions make no sense (no insult intended, perhaps you misunderstand how it works). ALL copying in old RPYC files will do will be to force the game to recompile the newer RPY source files... it's the same effect as deleting the RPYC files, if they're older than the source, or non-existent, the game won't run or load in the RPYC (compiled) versions until the newer source (RPY) is compiled. The old ones WILL be overwritten before they are ever used.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'll try that but... sorry, that makes no sense to me. RenPY would read the RPY file, recompile it as it is a scripting language, the RPYC file is simply the compiled version of it. The RPYC should simply be overwritten by the newly compiled RPY file. The RPYC is read in... once the RPY is compiled (hence the "C" on the end of the RPY), but if the RPY has changed and needs to be recompiled, the RPYC will never be read in until it had recompiled the RPY into a new RPYC file.

I DO understand how compiling etc works after programming in C for decades which is why those instructions make no sense (no insult intended, perhaps you misunderstand how it works). ALL copying in old RPYC files will do will be to force the game to recompile the newer RPY source files... it's the same effect as deleting the RPYC files, if they're older than the source, or non-existent, the game won't run or load in the RPYC (compiled) versions until the newer source (RPY) is compiled. The old ones WILL be overwritten before they are ever used.
Sorry but wrong, that's not how rpy/rpyc works specifically. rpyc is NOT simply compiled rpy, and if they exist they are read then the rpy is read, then the rpyc's are re-compiled as necessary. Read order is (and has always been) in this order: rpa, rpyc, then rpy. The important issue is where the save points occur and recalled (the pointer), this is a part of the rpyc. There's more to it than your perception from reading your post. By performing as I've instructed you are getting the original pointers... this is imperative if your old save is based off those original pointers.

Last edited:

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Sorry but wrong, that's not how rpy/rpyc works specifically. rpyc is NOT simply compiled rpy, and if they exist they are read then the rpy is read, then the rpyc's are re-compiled as necessary. Read order is (and has always been) in this order: rpa, rpyc, then rpy. The important issue is where the save points occur and recalled (the pointer), this is a part of the rpyc. There's more to it than your perception from reading your post. By performing as I've instructed you are getting the original pointers... this is imperative if your old save is based off those original pointers.
Just extracting all that now and trying that out. I'm replaying from the start anyhow, but I still want to try this per your instructions to verify it. If you're right and it works, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience... but I honestly still have my doubts. But one never knows...

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Just extracting all that now and trying that out. I'm replaying from the start anyhow, but I still want to try this per your instructions to verify it. If you're right and it works, I'll chalk it up to a learning experience... but I honestly still have my doubts. But one never knows...
The way it works is correct... if it will allow your save to load is still 5% failure rate. I have 2 personal saves out of ~60 that won't rollback far enough to load regardless of resolve. The dev changing the MC' naming variable really made a mess TBH.

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
The way it works is correct... if it will allow your save to load is still 5% failure rate. I have 2 personal saves out of ~60 that won't rollback far enough to load regardless of resolve. The dev changing the MC' naming variable really made a mess TBH.
You were right, I was wrong, it worked. Hmph... I'll have to read up on these more I guess. So I am guessing more goes into the RPYC than I figured... as you said, pointers. Interesting... I understand pointers in C, and I think I get what these are used for now. Ah well, love learning. Sorry about the doubt. ;)

I didn't really NEED this fix as my saved games from the unmodded version worked (though the pointers were off slightly, but not enough to matter), but... it's the sort of thing that nags at me. heheheh nice work anyhow. Still got more to learn about how RenPY handles these things I guess, I need to keep a more open mind. (y)

Night Hacker

Forum Fanatic
Jul 3, 2021
Let me get this straight (yeah, now this is on my brain, hehehe)... RenPY loads in the RPYC, reads in the pointers as well, THEN if needed, recompiles the RPC into a new RPYC with the correct pointers intact? (the programmer part of my brain is bothered by how this works, LOL) :cool:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Let me get this straight (yeah, now this is on my brain, hehehe)... RenPY loads in the RPYC, reads in the pointers as well, THEN if needed, recompiles the RPC into a new RPYC with the correct pointers intact? (the programmer part of my brain is bothered by how this works, LOL) :cool:
I'll keep this as concise as I can to prevent wall of text. First, let me point out that on the next release these rollback issues might be a problem again... the dev will likely use the rpyc's from the current v0.8.1 to build from (makes sense in his point of view) and not the v0.8.0 rpyc's (which the mod is using to increase the success of old saves loading). But that's a problem for another day.

Regarding rpy/rpyc/rpa... I guess the simplest way I can explain it is this: when using the SDK to build a RenPy project, one usually ends up with rpa... which contain the rpyc OR rpyc and rpy. The rpy's are NOT needed at all TBH, it's the rpyc that's everything. The save/load system uses raw data from the rpyc, not any rpy (as do a few other processes). Here's a scenario that fucks up some new devs.... they'll build via the SDK with only the rpy files which the SDK will create fresh rpyc's to use. If that dev on the next update does that exact same thing (only uses the rpy for the build) then the SDK doesn't have the old raw data to go off of and creates new rpyc's due to no choice. Now if the Player tries to load an old save, RenPy works it's ass off rollingback to find a stable pointer... with high odds of failure.

I could go deep into the weeds but that perspective will hopefully make sense to you bud.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Night Hacker

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020

Code:

While running game code:
    renpy.load(fn)

Full traceback:
    $ ui.interact()
    $ ui.interact()
    rv = run(action)
    renpy.load(fn)
    self.load_failed()

Ren'Py 7.5.3.22090809
Bad Memories 0.8.1
View attachment 2573503
same here my save wont' works

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
same here my save wont' works
Are we talking about a save that was previously made with or without the mod? If it was made without the mod can you load it inside the unmodded new VN? These two question are important as to the answer for you.

indio68

Engaged Member
Sep 26, 2020
Are we talking about a save that was previously made with or without the mod? If it was made without the mod can you load it inside the unmodded new VN? These two question are important as to the answer for you.
uhmmm it passed so many times i don't really remember if the save i got from june 2022 were modded or not...any chanmce i can see somewhere? i can copy the ererro message if it helps... i'm really pissed , alreadys tarted this game 3 times...
btw i tried to put that file from your savefix and it doesn't worked. i mean the sanchomodremoved-savefilefix.rpyc

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
uhmmm it passed so many times i don't really remember if the save i got from june 2022 were modded or not...any chanmce i can see somewhere? i can copy the ererro message if it helps... i'm really pissed , alreadys tarted this game 3 times...
btw i tried to put that file from your savefix and it doesn't worked. i mean the sanchomodremoved-savefilefix.rpyc
The "SaveFixer" is simply for loading saves that were known to be made previously with the mod installed inside a new VN install that is unmodded. That's all it does, nothing else.

Otherwise the dev made a massive variable change to the MC's name and the result is many hundreds of lines of code changes (compared to pre-v0.8.0) that are the result. The current mod will solve around 80-90% of the loading issues but there's no way to solve all of them, it's just impossible due the the VN's changes. These issues are regardless of if the player used the mod or not... in other words it's affecting folks that have never played modded ans still don't.

With that said I have no idea if you used the mod before or not if it's a "rollback" error. You can attach the traceback file (not copy/paste into a post but physically attach the file) via the button:
1682538135121.png

5.00 star(s) 2 Votes