Mod Ren'Py Bare Witness [Ch. 5] Multi-Mod [Sancho1969]

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes
Sep 13, 2020
That would be if I didn't already fix whatever bug is noted already (I always fix things I notice while in the porting process). So, what specifically does this update fix? What bug have you found? Regards.
Nothing man just wanted to tell u it was updated and I trust u I played ur other mods for other vns. It said bugfixes but doesn't say what bugs in changelog.

Last edited:

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Nothing man just wanted to tell u it was updated and I trust u I played ur other mods for other vns. It said bugfixes but doesn't say what bugs in changelog.
Indeed, that's why I asked. I don't know what bug there is either tbh so I asked on the VN's thread. We'll see what's what soon I reckon.

Reactions: Crazy_Chicken87

babaex

May 28, 2022
Indeed. Neither the devs nor I actually know what the "bug fix" is :ROFLMAO: See posts in VN here to check it out.
I suppose that means that there is no point in updating the mod especially if there is no bugs reported with the mod applied. So with other words no point in waiting an update before Chapter 5 comes out? By the way "ch4busa82" bug should still be present in version 0.4b and not only in the mod.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I suppose that means that there is no point in updating the mod especially if there is no bugs reported with the mod applied. So with other words no point in waiting an update before Chapter 5 comes out? By the way "ch4busa82" bug should still be present in version 0.4b and not only in the mod.
Whatever bug 4b was supposed to fix I might have already done in the mod when updated a couple months back. I always try to temp fix any coding bugs I notice which leads us to the next: The missing image " ch4busa82 ". I did not resolve that one since the mod does not alter the image files. In other words if that image file name was later added in a future dev bug fix then the mod would still function since it's calling for that image name still and would then find it.

There have been major image file name fuck ups in VNs that I did temporarily fix such as in an older version of "Summer with Mia 2" that I renamed a ton of image coding names since so many were missing, just so it wasn't a gamebreaker until it could later be resolved by the dev. In this case having just one missing image is no real big deal since the error can just be ignored (or skipped) and no harm truly done.

Regards.

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
By the way "ch4busa82" bug should still be present in version 0.4b and not only in the mod.
Apparently this was "intentionally?" left in the pirate version, but fixed on patreon? Anyway, I remember one of the devs posted that you could fix it yourself by removing the "2" in the rpy file (chap 4 I guess ...).

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
Apparently this was "intentionally?" left in the pirate version, but fixed on patreon? Anyway, I remember one of the devs posted that you could fix it yourself by removing the "2" in the rpy file (chap 4 I guess ...).
Good morning E. Indeed that would work. It seems more to me that it should have never been "82" to begin with. Looks like a typo to me but who knows. Anyway, yeah bud, it's a quick-easy fix to deal with regardless.

Lurker Luke

May 12, 2020
Im a little embarrassed to ask but is it possible to unlock all scenes in the gallery without unlocking them in game? Im trying to find an "unlock all" button and I cant find it.

Of course, immediately after I post the question, I figure it out on my own. I am not super smart.

• Haha
Reactions: Envoye

somedude321

Oct 28, 2019
You don't have to end it bud. I'll be happy to help. Let's just get on the same sheet of music so we can narrow down the real issue. I'm not upset or discouraged... I've got your back to the best of my ability (I'm not perfect, I'm not the best, but we can figure this out).
I had the same issue with a clean install of 4.0b hadn't even played the game before and immediately installed the SanchoMod, however issue was resolved (though not cleanly) by just deleting the TL folder. Only issue I've had so far is that it threw an error on inputting the MCs name (it skips the input) however that was easy to solve through the mod.

Will update if I run into any other issues.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I had the same issue with a clean install of 4.0b hadn't even played the game before and immediately installed the SanchoMod, however issue was resolved (though not cleanly) by just deleting the TL folder. Only issue I've had so far is that it threw an error on inputting the MCs name (it skips the input) however that was easy to solve through the mod.

Will update if I run into any other issues.
Then your installation is all borked. There should be no script files inside the "game/tl" folder. The other user with the issue had this:
ScriptError: Name (u'game/Chapter2.rpy', 1623126233, 0) is defined twice, at game/Chapter2.rpy:4 and game/tl/Chapter2.rpyc:4

See? There's two copies of "Chapter2.rpy" being read inside the "game" folder... this is NOT correct. The installation is fucked up. I highly suggest you remove the installation and start over doing it from scratch. There's just two steps:
  1. Install the VN unadulterated (unhacked/ren'd/cracked/etc).
  2. Install the contents of the mod zip inside the VN's "game" folder.
My guess is that your extraction software is not placing the mod files where you think. To insure it is correct make a temporary folder (directory) on you desktop. Copy the mod's zip inside that new temp directory. Extract (right-click and select "extract here" NOT "extract to..."). Copy those contents and paste them directly inside the VN's "game" folder. This dummy-proofs the extraction process.

Try that and report back.

somedude321

Oct 28, 2019
Then your installation is all borked. There should be no script files inside the "game/tl" folder. The other user with the issue had this:
ScriptError: Name (u'game/Chapter2.rpy', 1623126233, 0) is defined twice, at game/Chapter2.rpy:4 and game/tl/Chapter2.rpyc:4

See? There's two copies of "Chapter2.rpy" being read inside the "game" folder... this is NOT correct. The installation is fucked up. I highly suggest you remove the installation and start over doing it from scratch. There's just two steps:
  1. Install the VN unadulterated (unhacked/ren'd/cracked/etc).
  2. Install the contents of the mod zip inside the VN's "game" folder.
My guess is that your extraction software is not placing the mod files where you think. To insure it is correct make a temporary folder (directory) on you desktop. Copy the mod's zip inside that new temp directory. Extract (right-click and select "extract here" NOT "extract to..."). Copy those contents and paste them directly inside the VN's "game" folder. This dummy-proofs the extraction process.

Try that and report back.
I'm on 4.0b, and it's in the archive. It's not 7-zip borking it up.

There are two files under `game\tl\None\`, `common.rpym` and `common.rpymc`. At least in the mega DL posted here.

Anyway, I initially assumed it was the mod install and that it was caused by the mod, but the only error that was caused by that seems to have been the name.

It didn't throw an error on the name selection, however it did throw that on the second choice with Zenda (if I got her name right).

Maybe the Mega archive in the game thread is borked, but it runs fine with the mod after the initial issue.

Currently up to the plat split where Zenda(?) wants to go exclusive. So not sure how far in that is. No other issues up to that point in any case.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'm on 4.0b, and it's in the archive. It's not 7-zip borking it up.

There are two files under `game\tl\None\`, `common.rpym` and `common.rpymc`. At least in the mega DL posted here.

Anyway, I initially assumed it was the mod install and that it was caused by the mod, but the only error that was caused by that seems to have been the name.

It didn't throw an error on the name selection, however it did throw that on the second choice with Zenda (if I got her name right).

Maybe the Mega archive in the game thread is borked, but it runs fine with the mod after the initial issue.

Currently up to the plat split where Zenda(?) wants to go exclusive. So not sure how far in that is. No other issues up to that point in any case.
Good evening. I'm aware there's a common file inside the tl folder, but you said you had "the same issue" as that other user who's problem was the actual chapter scripts were inside the tl folder and the game folder, which they should never be in the tl folder. So, whatever issue you were/are having is different in this case. Without your traceback there's no way for me to know, so I don't have anything else to add at this point.

somedude321

Oct 28, 2019
Good evening. I'm aware there's a common file inside the tl folder, but you said you had "the same issue" as that other user who's problem was the actual chapter scripts were inside the tl folder and the game folder, which they should never be in the tl folder. So, whatever issue you were/are having is different in this case. Without your traceback there's no way for me to know, so I don't have anything else to add at this point.
Just looked back at what the issue was and you're right, I read this post:
Which made me assume he had the same issue.

The actual error thrown was actually:
Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 40, in script
    $ mcname = renpy.input("What's my name?")
  File "game/script.rpy", line 40, in <module>
NameError: global name 'name' is not defined

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "game/script.rpy", line 40, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 922, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2218, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/script.rpy", line 40, in <module>
  File "renpy/exports.py", line 913, in input
    rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='prompt', type="input", roll_forward=roll_forward)
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 298, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3101, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3897, in interact_core
    renpy.display.behavior.skipping(ev)
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 272, in skipping
    if map_keyup(ev, "skip") or map_event(ev, "stop_skipping"):
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 242, in map_keyup
    if (name in ev.eventnames) and ev.up:
NameError: global name 'name' is not defined

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.3.1414
Bare Witness 0.4
Mon Dec 26 21:48:43 2022
Should've read better/further.

Reactions: Jack_Raf

Jack_Raf

Sep 28, 2020
I do get another type of error

Code:

While running game code:
ScriptError: Name (u'game/Chapter2.rpy', 1623126233, 0) is defined twice, at game/BareWitness-0.4 - SanchoMod/Chapter2.rpyc:4 and game/Chapter2.rpy:4.

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "renpy/main.py", line 447, in main
    renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
  File "renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
    self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 779, in load_appropriate_file
    self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 468, in finish_load
    check_name(node)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 451, in check_name
    bad_node.filename, bad_node.linenumber))
ScriptError: Name (u'game/Chapter2.rpy', 1623126233, 0) is defined twice, at game/BareWitness-0.4 - SanchoMod/Chapter2.rpyc:4 and game/Chapter2.rpy:4.

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.3.1414

Wed Dec 28 17:45:57 2022

BadWolf71

Jan 1, 2019
I do not know if this is an Exception error from the game or the mod for the game:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It happened right after canceling the date with Zenda to watch a movie with Hedi & 'Thena. I just happened to do a save a couple of minutes before the error, which was good, because after the error popped up the game CTD & N++ opened with the error (I'm glad it did because with the game crashing, I didn't have time to copy the error with the game running).

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I do not know if this is an Exception error from the game or the mod for the game:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

It happened right after canceling the date with Zenda to watch a movie with Hedi & 'Thena. I just happened to do a save a couple of minutes before the error, which was good, because after the error popped up the game CTD & N++ opened with the error (I'm glad it did because with the game crashing, I didn't have time to copy the error with the game running).
I've run that exact scene on 4 different bench units and I can't replicate (this is the scene at and after your traceback detail):
1675872964822.png 1675873012774.png
With that said it looks like RenPy is throwing it just before the MC dialogue and it looks like you were in skip mode (via tab or ctrl key). Load the save prior to the exception, go into SanchoCheats, rename the MC (do this twice, once simply add a single letter to the end of your current name then again to remove that letter so the name is back to what it was originally), then go through that scene normally (non-skip mode) and report back your findings.

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I do get another type of error

Code:

While running game code:

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/bootstrap.py", line 326, in bootstrap
    renpy.main.main()
  File "renpy/main.py", line 447, in main
    renpy.game.script.load_script() # sets renpy.game.script.
  File "renpy/script.py", line 283, in load_script
    self.load_appropriate_file(".rpyc", ".rpy", dir, fn, initcode)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 779, in load_appropriate_file
    self.finish_load(stmts, initcode, filename=lastfn)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 468, in finish_load
    check_name(node)
  File "renpy/script.py", line 451, in check_name
    bad_node.filename, bad_node.linenumber))

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.3.1414

Wed Dec 28 17:45:57 2022
You installed the mod all fucked up. Your traceback shows you have scripts in both "/game" and "game/BareWitness-0.4 - SanchoMod"... that is completely wrong.

Two simple steps for proper installation:
1) install the VN as normal
2) Unzip and copy all the contents of the mod's zip inside that VN's installation "/game" folder

Nothing else, that's it. It's likely because you didn't use your zip utility properly (using the right-click context menu must be done properly). It's easiest to simply create a temp directory, copy the zip to that temp dir, unzip it there, then cut/paste all those contents inside the VN's "/game" directory. That way you know that it's done exactly correct. The other fullproof way is to copy the mod's zip directly inside the VN's "/game" folder, right-click, and choose "Extract here" (NOT "Extract to", etc).

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
You installed the mod all fucked up. Your traceback shows you have scripts in both "/game" and "game/BareWitness-0.4 - SanchoMod"... that is completely wrong.

Two simple steps for proper installation:
1) install the VN as normal
2) Unzip and copy all the contents of the mod's zip inside that VN's installation "/game" folder

Nothing else, that's it. It's likely because you didn't use your zip utility properly (using the right-click context menu must be done properly). It's easiest to simply create a temp directory, copy the zip to that temp dir, unzip it there, then cut/paste all those contents inside the VN's "/game" directory. That way you know that it's done exactly correct. The other fullproof way is to copy the mod's zip directly inside the VN's "/game" folder, right-click, and choose "Extract here" (NOT "Extract to", etc).
Was about to respond about that myself. Dude's been around for a bit so probably realizes now that he fucked up on installation. Was probably drunk. ;) :ROFLMAO:

BadWolf71

Jan 1, 2019
I've run that exact scene on 4 different bench units and I can't replicate (this is the scene at and after your traceback detail):
View attachment 2375409 View attachment 2375419
With that said it looks like RenPy is throwing it just before the MC dialogue and it looks like you were in skip mode (via tab or ctrl key). Load the save prior to the exception, go into SanchoCheats, rename the MC (do this twice, once simply add a single letter to the end of your current name then again to remove that letter so the name is back to what it was originally), then go through that scene normally (non-skip mode) and report back your findings.
I don't remember ever doing skip mode, or is it the same if I rolled back to save before this event? Either way, I'll give that a try.

4.50 star(s) 8 Votes