Mod Ren'Py Being a DIK Walkthrough+Cheat Mod [v0.10.1][scrappy]

4.70 star(s) 31 Votes

test7777

Jun 6, 2017
So it looks like scrappy's mod will have to deal with that bit of code.
As for DPC. You're right it's damn sad. But he's never been above manipulating his players to achieve some perceived gain. I wonder WHY he objects to mods that make his game more popular.

Maybe, he'll learn a lesson here. Once any game draws a big enough following, there will be many who scrutinize everything and reveal things like exploits, shortcuts, easter eggs, or anything else of interest. No game developer, even those the size of Blizzard, have the resources to compete with unpaid droves who take things apart because of personal interest.

BaDik has reached that level of popularity. Welcome to the microscope DPC...
I just don't get DPC, you can't really prevent mods in a renpy game and all his little efforts are just annoying, take 5 seconds to workaround (after unren), and probably only negatively impact those that just want to play the game a bit easier.

Definitely worth the few minutes DPC spent on looking up the mod file name :)

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
I just don't get DPC, you can't really prevent mods in a renpy game and all his little efforts are just annoying, take 5 seconds to workaround (after unren), and probably only negatively impact those that just want to play the game a bit easier.

Definitely worth the few minutes DPC spent on looking up the mod file name :)
Yes Definitely! LOL!!!

Reactions: johndoe19

Wolfbeckett

Jul 25, 2020
In update8.rpy

Python:
if renpy.loadable("1NewCheatMod.rpyc"):
    $ persistent._clear(progress=True)
    $ renpy.save_persistent()
    $ renpy.quit()
Dr PinkCake is one of the few developers that are actually worth subscribing too, with consistent updates and good content, but come on, thats just sad...
I'm not here to badmouth anyone, so I'll just say I'm not surprised and leave it at that.

Maduck187

Feb 19, 2020
Scrappy, God bless you, man. Thank you for your hard work.
View attachment 1508681

P.S. It's funny how people are all shocked and surprised DPC is so against mods and stuff. Have you talked to the fella? His ego dwarfs empire state building. Heaven forbid someone changes something in his perfect creation.
I mean there were the people who kept bugging him about bugs when using modded game files which were causing the bugs but aside from that, yeah the guy's ego is pretty up there. I do give him props for being consistent on his updates and actually finishing his projects though, unlike someone like "cough Icstor cough"...

BoomDaBoom

Apr 29, 2017
So after finishing the update, I’m wondering what’s going to be done about certain branching paths and the like. At the moment it seems like scrappy will be able to do what he usually does and give the ability to just take all of them. However, now it’s a bit hazy if these paths are going to be like earlier choices where it only has some minor callbacks from time to time that really just add different flavors; or will it be full on dedicated stories that don’t connect the way earlier choices did. Personally I’m a bit spoiled and prefer to be on all branches and scenes if it doesn’t break the game. But whatever happens, I’m sure the mod will continue to be great.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

list101

Mar 18, 2019
It is remarkable that scrappy is able to do mods in such a hostile environment. DPC is being a real dick yet he makes the best games - his ego is backed by his products.

Last edited:

Arthoneceron

Jul 5, 2017
So after finishing the update, I’m wondering what’s going to be done about certain branching paths and the like. At the moment it seems like scrappy will be able to do what he usually does and give the ability to just take all of them. However, now it’s a bit hazy if these paths are going to be like earlier choices where it only has some minor callbacks from time to time that really just add different flavors; or will it be full on dedicated stories that don’t connect the way earlier choices did. Personally I’m a bit spoiled and prefer to be on all branches and scenes if it doesn’t break the game. But whatever happens, I’m sure the mod will continue to be great.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Jade scene on episode 4 seems to be really meaningful for the story, in an extent that it was impossible for being coded without one path conflicting the other. There's a solution for that, which is using the variables label on the cheat menu and activating both paths.

Wolfbeckett

Jul 25, 2020
It is remarkable that scrappy is able to do mods in such a hostile environment. DPC is being a real dick yet he makes the best games - his ego is backed by his products.
Eh some might disagree about "best games". Acting Lessons was a pretty good mostly kinetic novel thatt had beautiful renders and a great supporting bro character but the story railroaded you into having an MC that had to care about both Missy and NotMissy and if it wasn't for the one infamous scene would be considered a pretty standard generic story all told. It did some things very right but still had a lot of room for improvement.

BaDIK is similar in the "doing things right but having a lot of room for improvement" sense, only even more so. What it does right, such as the characters and the artwork, it does VERY right. But it's also got a story that's so far an extremely generic, almost paint by numbers college coming of age story, and it's got an enormous amount of bloat. If DPC didn't bother with all these minigames and uninteresting but very VERY long DnG sessions with the nerds and things like that he'd be probably be releasing episode 10 this week instead of episode 8 and the game would probably be a lot smaller than 20 GB at this point. There's a LOT of filler here. It was always going to be a much bigger game than AL since it has actually different routes instead of railroading you into the MC having to like certain characters, and that's fine, as long as you keep the narrative focused on those routes, but there's a lot of other stuff here not related to that that doesn't need to be here. A good editor could probably chop 40% of this game out without messing with the main narratives at all.

Filler for the sake of padding out the game length may work for triple A game studios with hundreds of people working on a title but it just bogs down development when you're one dude who absolutely refuses to hire anyone to do ANY of the workload for you.

Not to say that I don't enjoy BaDIK, because I do, but I don't think it's the best. I've got probably half a dozen VNs on my hard drive right now that I like more and several others that I just haven't gotten around to redownloading since my last hard drive took a shit.

Nov 6, 2021
Scrappy, God bless you, man. Thank you for your hard work.
View attachment 1508681

P.S. It's funny how people are all shocked and surprised DPC is so against mods and stuff. Have you talked to the fella? His ego dwarfs empire state building. Heaven forbid someone changes something in his perfect creation.
Is the DPC really aganist this mod? Why is he added this mod to the "Extras" section on his game's page then? If the DPC is really aganist this mod, I don't know what to say really. This mod is a gem. Without this mod, I wouldn't have enjoyed the game this much.

SSJGOD

Nov 7, 2018
I mean there were the people who kept bugging him about bugs when using modded game files which were causing the bugs but aside from that, yeah the guy's ego is pretty up there. I do give him props for being consistent on his updates and actually finishing his projects though, unlike someone like "cough Icstor cough"...

Best mod for me, I've never gotten any bugs

Wolfbeckett

Jul 25, 2020
Is the DPC really aganist this mod? Why is he added this mod to the "Extras" section on his game's page then?
Because DPC isn't the one who added his game here on this site in the first place. Considering I got dropped as a patron of his for downloading the game from here a few days before my tier should have had it I'm pretty sure he'd much rather his game not be on this site at all if there was any realistic thing he could do about it.

4.70 star(s) 31 Votes