Best time to launch a project

xxx3me

Jun 19, 2020
Dear developers, could you share some thoughts on when is the best time to launch a project?

I've been working on my VN for a few months and it's getting close to an "alpha" release - where the player will be able to understand the story and experience a little of the first chapter, meet some characters, etc. There is a lot of things that will probably change/be added, but it's becoming "playable".

Is it a good idea to launch it now so people can get in touch, give ideas and feedback, maybe get supporters on Patreon, etc? Or it would make people think it's too raw and should I keep it until it's like 50% ready? I know many developers launch their projects in very early alpha stages, but is it a good strategy?

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
A first release should give a good indication af what the game will be about and its quality. Introduction to the story, the different characters, and a sex scene to show of the quality of those. If you are looking to get support for your game you want to peek interest with your first release.

If your game is ready highly depends on what you would call an alpha release. A lot of games released way to early, with barely any content and most of them died out soon after.

A good example of a good sized first release would be Radiant. While I can't say the game really appeals to me, its first version had everything you want in a first release. Good introduction to the story, a sex scene to show the quality of those, and just enough content to get the main characters to know a bit.

Reactions: Back

xxx3me

Jun 19, 2020
A lot of games released way to early, with barely any content and most of them died out soon after.
Yeah, to be honest I rarely touch things tagged as "alpha" because so many will die soon as developer's enthusiasm fades. That's why I'm reticent about an alpha release (even being the best way to show more of what I'm doing).

Reactions: Back

STWAdev

Game Developer
Jan 14, 2020
I'd say the longer before release the better. I can tell you firsthand that rushing or pushing a release out too early can absolutely murder you. A bad first release is a really great way to burn bridges, it makes what is already an uphill battle even harder because even if you learn from that first flub you have to work extra hard to recapture fans you may have lost. Extra polish never hurts.

Adabelitoo

Jun 24, 2018
I'd say don't do release an alpha, release a beta at least. You'll only have one first impression so make it count.

Also, use your initial version as a test for the things you need to check. If you want to know if your plot is good enough, develop enough of it to give players something to talk and criticize. If you want to know how good your sex scenes are, do at least one so players can comment and critizice. Once you can check all your boxes, your beta will be done.

Reactions: xxx3me

Domiek

In a Scent
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 19, 2018
You will never be able to make more than one first impression. Don't release an alpha when it's just "playable". Release the first version when you are proud of it and ready to blow people away.

I know its exciting to finally show people what you've been working on for months but it will bite you in the ass if you do it prematurely. It was an uphill battle with Personal Trainer that took half a year just to build any traction because I was too excited to show what I've been working on. If it's feedback that you're craving, I'm sure you can ask some of the more active/trustworthy forum users here to play your game and share their brutally honest criticism.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
I released a fully functioning first chapter more or less. These things take time, I actually re-did 100 renders beforehand as I wasn't happy. On the first page or so of my release thread, you will see the normal complaints, but not one of them relates to the amount of content.

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
I agree with Domiek and mickydoo, make sure your first release has plenty of content and that you're happy with it.
Also, be prepared for complaints; it could be the best game in the world, but this is the internet; someone will find something to complain about.

For my first game, I don't intend on releasing my game until at least the first 3 episodes are completed, that way I can have a buffer to work with in terms of further releases. (I don't care if no-one likes it (all lies), I'll be releasing the whole thing anyway.) The first episode includes background on the characters, the setting and the game itself and then the actual episode itself, so the first release is probably twice the size of the future ones.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Alpha and Beta builds have a real purpose; get a *close* community to test and give you feedback. Don't release a public release until you're proud of it. Yes, that pushes things back... it doesn't matter; it's better to launch late and well than early and broken. If you don't have a Beta community, try to recruit one on Discord (places like have an amazing and supportive community), or try to post a "In development" thread here.