Best way to truly clean an old hard disk?

Sep 1, 2020
Gonna be passing on my old PC to my brother's kids.
Of course I've deleted all my old games and collections, but can anyone recommend a good trustworthy application to shred/over-write all the empty space on my hard disk to make absolutely certain that my naughty games and images are unrecoverable by any adolescent computer geniuses?

Sep 1, 2020
P.S. - I actually am intelligent enough to Google this info, but I wanted to hear what actual, trusted users on f95zone recommended. (I should have specified that in my original post)
Thanks to everyone who replied!

morphnet

Aug 3, 2017
Another route to take or add to the others is to do a low level format followed by using glary utilities or wipe the free space after.

good luck

CaptainBipto

Sep 20, 2018
P.S. - I actually am intelligent enough to Google this info, but I wanted to hear what actual, trusted users on f95zone recommended. (I should have specified that in my original post)
Thanks to everyone who replied!
At the last job I had, we used an open source program called Dban to wipe drives, we usually used a 3 pass, pseudo random write on the drives and then chucked them on the recycle pile. You can create a bootable drive with Dban on it and it ensures that there are no open files on the drive to block your drive wipe.
You can go all the way up to a 37 pass wipe with random encrypted data with Dban, but if you are doing that many passes, you are probably better off just ripping the drive apart and physically destroying the platters. Unless someone has a serious data recovery setup, 3 to 5 passes should be fine.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
To add what others write, you only will get 99+% secure that your data are destroyed with any of the methods that let your drive intact.
Other, more permanent solution, would be to shredder it or heat the platter over their curie temperature. Last method will guarantee you a 100% save behond repair method with the downside of that you demolish your device and you would need to heat them up over 1000 °C depending on the material.
So although a very save method it is not practical one.

Last edited:

n00bi

Nov 24, 2022
What OS?
on linux you can do:
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=4M status=progress
This will wipe your disk and put random data on it.
/dev/sdX should ofcource be replaced with the actual device name of the hard drive you want to wipe

oldboggy

Aug 2, 2019
If you actually have spinning platters, you could be nice to the kids and pull out the old hard drive(s) and replace them with an SSD and reinstall the system and drivers. Note that many of the suggestions given above are for software that will completely erase the drive (and only work with HDD's), so completely wiping the disk is safer than just trying to clean the empty space.

If you don't want any issues at all, replacing the drive(s) is definitely the safest move.