• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Daz Bloom's unusual effect

xKalin

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2023
I wonder how such a beautiful effect is obtained from any round light source? I suspect it's bloom + depth of field. But no matter how much I experiment, I can't get such an effect. Perhaps Photoshop is needed here?
Снимок экрана 2023-08-11 193625.png

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I imagine, if it's done in Daz at all, it's certainly Bloom + DoF. Perhaps try turning your bloom filter radius down a bit and turn up the bloom filter threshold. Might take a little toying with the brightness scale to get it right.

That being said? Something like this would be far, far easier done in Photoshop/post. Either with a soft, low-opacity brush or with an orange solid color layer + an inverted layer mask with a white + low opacity brush to bring out the oranges.

Reactions: Vollezar

xKalin

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2023
I imagine, if it's done in Daz at all, it's certainly Bloom + DoF. Perhaps try turning your bloom filter radius down a bit and turn up the bloom filter threshold. Might take a little toying with the brightness scale to get it right.

That being said? Something like this would be far, far easier done in Photoshop/post. Either with a soft, low-opacity brush or with an orange solid color layer + an inverted layer mask with a white + low opacity brush to bring out the oranges.
Thanks for the information. After searching the internet, I found out that these are the so-called bokeh circles. They can be made both in Photoshop and in daz.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks for the information. After searching the internet, I found out that these are the so-called bokeh circles. They can be made both in Photoshop and in daz.
Oh, you're talking about bokeh? I thought you were talking about the subtle glow around them.

Then, yeah. It's definitely a lot easier to do in Daz in this case. Just turn down your F/Stop in the camera settings. Just a very quick (and shitty) example from the scene I have open:

bokeh.png

If your F/Stop is low enough, and you have the right lights/details, they'll usually always naturally show up:

mcnx10.png mcdg6.png

Might take a little practice/toying with it, but it's not especially difficult.

Reactions: osanaiko

xKalin

Game Developer
Jan 21, 2023
Oh, you're talking about bokeh? I thought you were talking about the subtle glow around them.

Then, yeah. It's definitely a lot easier to do in Daz in this case. Just turn down your F/Stop in the camera settings. Just a very quick (and shitty) example from the scene I have open:

View attachment 2844236

If your F/Stop is low enough, and you have the right lights/details, they'll usually always naturally show up:

View attachment 2844238 View attachment 2844240

Yes, I meant bokeh circles :D Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, I have already climbed on YouTube and was horrified that with each render I would have to do such manipulations in Photoshop and here is your message. Thanks again, man! Very helpful!

Reactions: MissFortune

RickGrimes1

Apr 19, 2019

View attachment 2844236

View attachment 2844238 View attachment 2844240

Hello misfortune.....if could tell me what the light effect for the car in your attachment above is called? like how do you get that kind of light that kind of glows? is it BLOOM FILTER ? i've been seeing it a lot and i wanna know, if you could please guide me it would be a lot of help.....

for more examples a light like this.....(check attachments)

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Hello misfortune.....if could tell me what the light effect for the car in your attachment above is called? like how do you get that kind of light that kind of glows? is it BLOOM FILTER ? i've been seeing it a lot and i wanna know, if you could please guide me it would be a lot of help.....

for more examples a light like this.....(check attachments)
It is bloom. What you're going to want is some kind of brightish light source. Either from a spotlight or HDRI, either one works. Ideally, you only want half of the light source in the frame, so you'll want to pay attention to the composition of the render.

So, once you have your light source, go to Render Settings > Filtering > Bloom Filter Enable > On > Turn your Bloom Filter Radius up to 1 (should be the maximum.). Then play with the bottom two as needed. Sometimes you'll need to crop out the light source itself, depending on your method.

bloom.png

Let me know if you need any more help. :)

• Love
Reactions: RickGrimes1

RickGrimes1

Apr 19, 2019
It is bloom. What you're going to want is some kind of brightish light source. Either from a spotlight or HDRI, either one works. Ideally, you only want half of the light source in the frame, so you'll want to pay attention to the composition of the render.

So, once you have your light source, go to Render Settings > Filtering > Bloom Filter Enable > On > Turn your Bloom Filter Radius up to 1 (should be the maximum.). Then play with the bottom two as needed. Sometimes you'll need to crop out the light source itself, depending on your method.

View attachment 3359332

Let me know if you need any more help. :)
Thank you sm misfortune, I'll play with those settings, does it increase render time ? and how many max samples do you use to get renders thaaat good? i just render upto 1500max and denoiser post work......my model subds are usaully 1, ive never tried increasing it cuz ik it will increase render times, how many subds do you set at ? , thats all i need to know from a pro to get better knowledge or experience...thanl you again

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
Thank you sm misfortune, I'll play with those settings, does it increase render time ? and how many max samples do you use to get renders thaaat good? i just render upto 1500max and denoiser post work......my model subds are usaully 1, ive never tried increasing it cuz ik it will increase render times, how many subds do you set at ? , thats all i need to know from a pro to get better knowledge or experience...thanl you again
Bloom shouldn't have a meaningful effect on render times. There's maybe a difference of a seconds, but it's negligible.

It's hard to give you advice in that sense, since I'm running high end hardware (2 4090s), so I can set high samples and still have it done fairly quickly. But SubD is usually at 3 for most of my figures. I usually set a scene at 3000/4000 samples with Render Quality off at 4K. But if you're on lower end hardware 1500 samples and post denoiser should be fine. You just won't get a lot of the skin detail textures. But it's hard to say without knowing what you're running.

RickGrimes1

Apr 19, 2019
Bloom shouldn't have a meaningful effect on render times. There's maybe a difference of a seconds, but it's negligible.

It's hard to give you advice in that sense, since I'm running high end hardware (2 4090s), so I can set high samples and still have it done fairly quickly. But SubD is usually at 3 for most of my figures. I usually set a scene at 3000/4000 samples with Render Quality off at 4K. But if you're on lower end hardware 1500 samples and post denoiser should be fine. You just won't get a lot of the skin detail textures. But it's hard to say without knowing what you're running.
I got a GTX 1650 with 4gb card and 16gb ram LMAO:HideThePain:, ik its .....kind of impossible to get that cool skin texture with the current card im having....but whatsoever i wanted to know for future ref....what would be a average max sample or SubD for my current spec in your opinion?...thanks again for everything.....got a lot of knowledge.

MissFortune

Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I got a GTX 1650 with 4gb card and 16gb ram LMAO:HideThePain:, ik its .....kind of impossible to get that cool skin texture with the current card im having....but whatsoever i wanted to know for future ref....what would be a average max sample or SubD for my current spec in your opinion?...thanks again for everything.....got a lot of knowledge.
Scene Optimizer will be useful, as it'll crunch down textures to help fit within your VRAM. So, a mix of that and post denoiser while rendering at 1080p (or alternatively, you can render at 720p and AI upscale to 1080, if necessary) should be good. If you're using the post-denoiser, then a 1000 samples/iterations should be fine.

RickGrimes1

Apr 19, 2019
Scene Optimizer will be useful, as it'll crunch down textures to help fit within your VRAM. So, a mix of that and post denoiser while rendering at 1080p (or alternatively, you can render at 720p and AI upscale to 1080, if necessary) should be good. If you're using the post-denoiser, then a 1000 samples/iterations should be fine.
Thank you, thats what im doing right now....I'll tryy the bloom and all now, again thanks alot