3D-Blender Fan Art Bobby Tally inspired Lara Animation

jbk

Apr 4, 2017
I recently saw Bobby Tally's stuff on here and really liked his Lara model, so I found out what model he was using and recreated it in Daz Studio. Since I've been playing around with Blender for a while now, I brought the mesh over to Blender, made shaders with the original textures and added a Rigify rig + Hair and Breast Physics. After the model was done, I built a little scene with some free assets and materials and made this animation.
It's my first animation so I couldn't get the movements to look perfectly natural, but i think it looks decent enough. I would have also liked to make it a bit longer, but this was already 900 frames rendered in Cycles so it took about 24h to render and I didn't want to wait forever.

Feel free to give some feedback :)

Reactions: Deleted member 8085

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Pretty impressive.
The only thing that stands out to me is the smooth skin, and the lighting.

Now the lighting is fine, nothing wrong with it, I can even see a bit a blue from the sky, which is good to see such detail. It just always bugs me when I try to do sun like lighting in blender or in general try to do a warm light, and everything just seems way to yellow, it feels like it changese the color of the skin so it makes it hard to identify the type of skin some characters have. I would however recommend setting the sun to have an angle of 5 to 15 (in the green lightbulb 'Object Data Property' tab) to make the edge of the shadow on the body a bit softer so that it seems less digital.

then there is the smooth skin. I've only had the normal maps of the skin transfer using diffeomorphic plugin, but when I'm lazy and just using fbx to transfer between daz and blender, I'll often add a fake skin texture using the following node setup. I also showed what numbers I use for the Subsurface scattering, which should help bring realism to the skin (only really noticeable in the ears when the light is on the other side of the character, images included, works in both eevee (first image) and cycles (last image)).

simple skin bump Node (input skin texture or albedo map, output final shader output) AmazonessKing AB AB Test Shader.png
connect the fresnel node to the specularity input to make the skin less glossy and more natural.
eevee AmazonessKing AB AB Test SSS EEVEE.png cycles AmazonessKing AB AB Test SSS 2.png notice the ears in the cycles image, that is the sss at work
the above character is actually something I am working on for AmazonessKing for one of their side projects

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: AmazonessKing

jbk

Apr 4, 2017
Pretty impressive.
The only thing that stands out to me is the smooth skin, and the lighting.

Now the lighting is fine, nothing wrong with it, I can even see a bit a blue from the sky, which is good to see such detail. It just always bugs me when I try to do sun like lighting in blender or in general try to do a warm light, and everything just seems way to yellow, it feels like it changese the color of the skin so it makes it hard to identify the type of skin some characters have. I would however recommend setting the sun to have an angle of 5 to 15 (in the green lightbulb 'Object Data Property' tab) to make the edge of the shadow on the body a bit softer so that it seems less digital.

then there is the smooth skin. I've only had the normal maps of the skin transfer using diffeomorphic plugin, but when I'm lazy and just using fbx to transfer between daz and blender, I'll often add a fake skin texture using the following node setup. I also showed what numbers I use for the Subsurface scattering, which should help bring realism to the skin (only really noticeable in the ears when the light is on the other side of the character, images included, works in both eevee (first image) and cycles (last image)).

simple skin bump Node (input skin texture or albedo map, output final shader output) View attachment 728380
connect the fresnel node to the specularity input to make the skin less glossy and more natural.
eevee View attachment 728379 cycles View attachment 728381 notice the ears in the cycles image, that is the sss at work
the above character is actually something I am working on for AmazonessKing for one of their side projects
Thank you for the tip with the shadows, they do look a little too sharp. I havent really learned how to make good lighting yet, so I will look into that. For this I just used an HDRI for the lighting and I wanted it to look like it was at Dusk/Dawn, so the yellow light color from the HDRI was kinda intentional.
I would have liked to make the SSS a bit more visible, but when I turn it up even a little bit more, the area directly under the eyes becomes way too red/transparent, apparently Cycles just sees the lower eyelid as thin skin and cant process the eyeballs blocking out light.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
the area directly under the eyes becomes way too red/transparent,
Sometimes what helps is to make the eyeballs also have SSS, and what happens is since they both have it, if the mesh are intersecting, the light doesn't skip the eyeball.

D

Deleted member 8085

Great job so far. Out of interest, what model is used for Lara?