• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

HTML Browser Community-Driven Adult MMORPG

Tekirin

Jul 7, 2019
Hello everyone. Recently i've come into idea of creating adult themed browser mmorpg, combining some of my beloved games like Corruption of Champions, Trials in Tainted Space, Jack-o-Nine-Tails, etc. under DnD'ish (d20) mechanics and let community play together in a sandbox world, with procedurely-generated roguelike narrative and adventures. In my opinion, there are a lot of great games, that lack living, evolving world around them. There is a big social potential, letting people enjoy and create their own stories. Imagine being able to raid settlements, explore "Terra Incognita", dwelve into dungeons/portals/deeps in search of fortunes and riches together with friends or foes, which you'll find on your way to whatever goals you've setted up for your character. Be it being most notable slaveowner, trade guild master, merciless manhunter or masterful artisan, everything is more enjoyable when you can compete, influence, share your achievements, successes and failures with others. And that with a tad of smut included!
I'm totally aware that it's quite ambitious, and may require tremendous amount of work, but everything starts from something and step-by-step achieve greatness. At first it's just going to be sort of proof of concept, with text-based gameplay like games mentioned above, with potential to be extended with graphical side or even migrate to dedicated game engine if proper interest will be shown from players. Also there are plans on including community suggestions regarding world setting, gameplay mechanics, characters, narratives, etc. to let players influence world, events, ambience and atmosphere they are facing and interact with.
The main question of this thread is, however, if it is overall interesting for community to try something like this out, isn't it going to feel "outdated" and "archaic", and is there any interest in playing such games in scope of mmo.
There are currently two developers at disposal, and if everything goes good, the first prototype would be available to try out earliest at the end of May.
Don't hesitate to share your opinion and criticize the idea, ask questions, hopefully we can get a general picture of current tendencies in adult gaming.
Thanks for your attention and response in advance!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryper Jack

ChaosOpen

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2019
"Interest from the community" really is redundant as you don't even seem to have a proof of concept for what is essentially a game so large and all encompassing that AAA game developers have thrown millions of dollars to accomplish only to come up short but somehow you're going to pull it off?

I mean, how are you going to have a roguelike narrative? Are you possibly going to design a bot to write stories? Something like that could easily cost you millions of dollars to develop.

Tekirin

Jul 7, 2019
Vitalsigns
Well, literally first link in google answers your questions pretty much wholesome " Roguelike (or rogue-like) is a subgenre of role-playing video games characterized by a dungeon crawl through procedurally generated levels, turn-based gameplay, grid-based movement, and permanent death of the player character. Most roguelikes are based on a high fantasy narrative, reflecting their influence from tabletop role playing games such as Dungeons & Dragons." It's not that large you're assuming, it's quite simple principles on which game and narrative could be based on. As of "roguelike narrative" you've mentioned, it's not like that "per se", but procedurely generated and composed events, characters, places of actions, enemies, rewards, etc. which are continiously extended by community (so it's not actually bot which writes stories, but continuously added content to explore, which you're not aware of as a player, and don't even certainly gonna encounter every time you go, lets say, in "dungeon". Every roguelike game has it's own limitations, but every run feels fresh, until the point where you've pretty much covered everything that game has to offer. Which is mitigated a bit by continuous development. From player perspective, this would be roguelike-ish experience, spiced up by possibility of character death). Also don't throw out social aspect, which also influences every story you go trough. Is it that hard to generate those things and encounters based off provided designs? I doubt so. I may be wrong, but from my point of view, if everytime you go trough some activities, and those activities are everytime fresh, with different paths being discovered as time passes and protagonist differs, each "run" will differ from previous one (although similarities are possible, because of nature of procedure generating), is what considered roguelike. Correct me, if i'm wrong. Also i'm thankful for your response and hopefully covered some points which you were interested in.

Alcahest

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Sounds like a MUD but with some procedurally generated content and smut (but maybe smut MUDs existed back in the days too). It's been years since I played MUDs because they kinda died out/went on life-support like two decades ago when more graphical MMO's took over.