Building a pc for 3d rendering and development on 1300€ range

darkshaw

Jan 20, 2019
I want to build a pc that works and renders smoothly in blender (cycles, ecycles etc), also some daz workloads with iray , vray (in acceptable timeframes).
My budget is around 1300€.
For picking the gpu if i decide only to work with cycles or ecycles does it work on radeon ? Like the 5700xt

CURRENT CONFIGURATION I HAVE IN MIND:

• CPU: ryzen 2700x or 3700x
  • GPU: 2070 or 5700xt(if supported on cycles)
  • MOBO: 470 with NVME Support and 16-20 pcilanes
  • HARDISK: NVME SSD 500gb or 1 tb
  • RAM: 32 GB 3000 hz
  • PSU: 750w

Is this a good configuration ? And if not how can be improved?

caLTD

Game Developer
Feb 4, 2018
Cut from NVME SSD, nobody sees particular speed up from NVME ssd.
GO for Ryzen 3900 and possible new x570 board

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
The Radeon 5700s are nice cards, but brand new, so driver support in various programs may need to go through a teething process. Not a big deal, but depending on how slow the company that makes your software of choice is, well definitely check their customer support forums and such for people trying the new cards.

You mentioned Daz Iray though, so that pretty much makes the choice for you. That being a RTX 2070. The new version of Daz officially supports the new cards, and for Iray CUDA rendering, you pretty much are limited to Nvidia.

Since CUDA also helps with Blender cycles, well there ya go!

As for CPU, for rendering purposes an AMD 400 series motherboard (B450, X470, etc.) with the appropriate BIOS update will do you just fine. Someone recently benched Daz Iray at PCIe x1 vs x16, and saw very little difference in rendering times. Once the scene is loaded into the graphics card memory, the calculations are done pretty much entirely on the card, so PCIe lane speed isn't that big of a deal,

Don't sweat the whole RTX thing. It doesn't help all that much with rendering, so if you find a deal on a 1080 Ti for a similar price to a 2070, yeah more VRAM good...

The 500 series motherboards bring other things to the table, the main thing being more 'onboard' PCIe lanes depending on which board you pick. The faster NVME speeds can translate into faster boot times and a few other tasks being a bit faster, but for me, the big selling points are the boards that have 3 or 4 full length PCIe slots.

Threadrippers are now a bit cheaper thanks to the launch of the 3900X 12 core AM4, and the impending launch of the 3950X in September. Threadripper's advantages are more memory channels and memory capacity, and 60+4 PCIe lanes and 3-4 full length slots for graphics cards.

The CPU will matter if you do a lot of CPU based rendering, but if you can do GPU based rendering, and fit your scenes inside of the graphics card VRAM, well the CPU isn't of much help at that point. The 2070 has 8 GB of graphics memory, so it's workable, although the 11GB 1080 Ti would give you a little more headroom. The 2070 might be as fast or a bit faster, but either will beat CPU based rendering any day of the week, for programs that can take advantage of GPUs.

I'd probably look at the boards first, and try to find one with 3 or 4 full length 'double spaced' PCIe slots. Daz allows GPU based rendering with multiple GPUs, which cuts down on render times considerably. Then, I'd pick at least an 8 core CPU. Really, the 2700X should do you just fine, although the 3700X is a bit faster at other tasks, and also for CPU based rendering.

AMD has demonstrated with the 3000 series Ryzens that the CPUs will play nice with a number of older boards, once you update the BIOSes, and the kinks are getting worked out in the newer bioses now. The reason I mention this is that since the EPYC 7nm server CPUs are supposedly backwards compatible with the existing EPYC boards, and the AM4 chips are as well, well there's a good chance that Threadripper will continue this trend on the TR4 socket. So if you grabbed a cheap Threadripper system now, you could always buy a 7nm Threadripper CPU later if you wanted something faster at that point.

Following that thought, you could grab a cheap 1900X 8 core Threadripper chip for now (they are less than $300 at the moment), and then grab a new 7nm Threadripper down the road, using the same motherboard. This might give you more wiggle room on your GPU budget.

Another strategy would be to grab say a cheap B450 board with at least two full length PCIe slots, and grab whichever Ryzen appeals to you, with the idea that you might drop in the 16 core 3950X at a future date. Or one of the cheaper X570 boards, although they are a bit more pricey.

Also, try to get 32 GB of ram. It helps. I'd recommend two sticks of 16 GB each, with reasonably fast timings. That way, if you want to add more memory later, you can just fill the unused memory slots, assuming your board has 4 or more memory slots.

Storage is cheap these days, and you can always add more later. I'd recommend installing your Daz install on a separate drive or drive partition, as the Windows Update installer has occasionally fucked with Daz installs... 2 TB of storage served me for quite a while, although I've now outgrown that thanks to all of my Daz assets and scene + render files.

Some programs do CPU based rendering only, at which point more cores is helpful, so keep that in mind.

The 3700X and 3900X are awesome for CPU based rendering, but still MUCH slower than GPU based rendering. Sometimes, though, you will still need to do CPU based rendering though, so at that point it might matter more. Hopefully, though, at that point you can afford to upgrade to a better CPU. But GPU based rendering will give you the most bang for the buck.

Anyways, to summarize, since Blender and Daz both can take advantage of CUDA based rendering, grab the Nvidia card with the most VRAM that you can afford, then build the rest of your system from there. I'd recommend picking a motherboard with multiple full length PCIe slots, so that you can add more GPUs later for faster rendering as your budget allows. Try to build your system with future upgradeability in mind, as far as having a few spare PCIe slots and such...

darkshaw

Jan 20, 2019
The Radeon 5700s are nice cards, but brand new, so driver support in various programs may need to go through a teething process. Not a big deal, but depending on how slow the company that makes your software of choice is, well definitely check their customer support forums and such for people trying the new cards.

You mentioned Daz Iray though, so that pretty much makes the choice for you. That being a RTX 2070. The new version of Daz officially supports the new cards, and for Iray CUDA rendering, you pretty much are limited to Nvidia.

Since CUDA also helps with Blender cycles, well there ya go!

As for CPU, for rendering purposes an AMD 400 series motherboard (B450, X470, etc.) with the appropriate BIOS update will do you just fine. Someone recently benched Daz Iray at PCIe x1 vs x16, and saw very little difference in rendering times. Once the scene is loaded into the graphics card memory, the calculations are done pretty much entirely on the card, so PCIe lane speed isn't that big of a deal,

Don't sweat the whole RTX thing. It doesn't help all that much with rendering, so if you find a deal on a 1080 Ti for a similar price to a 2070, yeah more VRAM good...

The 500 series motherboards bring other things to the table, the main thing being more 'onboard' PCIe lanes depending on which board you pick. The faster NVME speeds can translate into faster boot times and a few other tasks being a bit faster, but for me, the big selling points are the boards that have 3 or 4 full length PCIe slots.

Threadrippers are now a bit cheaper thanks to the launch of the 3900X 12 core AM4, and the impending launch of the 3950X in September. Threadripper's advantages are more memory channels and memory capacity, and 60+4 PCIe lanes and 3-4 full length slots for graphics cards.

The CPU will matter if you do a lot of CPU based rendering, but if you can do GPU based rendering, and fit your scenes inside of the graphics card VRAM, well the CPU isn't of much help at that point. The 2070 has 8 GB of graphics memory, so it's workable, although the 11GB 1080 Ti would give you a little more headroom. The 2070 might be as fast or a bit faster, but either will beat CPU based rendering any day of the week, for programs that can take advantage of GPUs.

I'd probably look at the boards first, and try to find one with 3 or 4 full length 'double spaced' PCIe slots. Daz allows GPU based rendering with multiple GPUs, which cuts down on render times considerably. Then, I'd pick at least an 8 core CPU. Really, the 2700X should do you just fine, although the 3700X is a bit faster at other tasks, and also for CPU based rendering.

AMD has demonstrated with the 3000 series Ryzens that the CPUs will play nice with a number of older boards, once you update the BIOSes, and the kinks are getting worked out in the newer bioses now. The reason I mention this is that since the EPYC 7nm server CPUs are supposedly backwards compatible with the existing EPYC boards, and the AM4 chips are as well, well there's a good chance that Threadripper will continue this trend on the TR4 socket. So if you grabbed a cheap Threadripper system now, you could always buy a 7nm Threadripper CPU later if you wanted something faster at that point.

Following that thought, you could grab a cheap 1900X 8 core Threadripper chip for now (they are less than $300 at the moment), and then grab a new 7nm Threadripper down the road, using the same motherboard. This might give you more wiggle room on your GPU budget.

Another strategy would be to grab say a cheap B450 board with at least two full length PCIe slots, and grab whichever Ryzen appeals to you, with the idea that you might drop in the 16 core 3950X at a future date. Or one of the cheaper X570 boards, although they are a bit more pricey.

Also, try to get 32 GB of ram. It helps. I'd recommend two sticks of 16 GB each, with reasonably fast timings. That way, if you want to add more memory later, you can just fill the unused memory slots, assuming your board has 4 or more memory slots.

Storage is cheap these days, and you can always add more later. I'd recommend installing your Daz install on a separate drive or drive partition, as the Windows Update installer has occasionally fucked with Daz installs... 2 TB of storage served me for quite a while, although I've now outgrown that thanks to all of my Daz assets and scene + render files.

Some programs do CPU based rendering only, at which point more cores is helpful, so keep that in mind.

The 3700X and 3900X are awesome for CPU based rendering, but still MUCH slower than GPU based rendering. Sometimes, though, you will still need to do CPU based rendering though, so at that point it might matter more. Hopefully, though, at that point you can afford to upgrade to a better CPU. But GPU based rendering will give you the most bang for the buck.

Anyways, to summarize, since Blender and Daz both can take advantage of CUDA based rendering, grab the Nvidia card with the most VRAM that you can afford, then build the rest of your system from there. I'd recommend picking a motherboard with multiple full length PCIe slots, so that you can add more GPUs later for faster rendering as your budget allows. Try to build your system with future upgradeability in mind, as far as having a few spare PCIe slots and such...
Thank you for your response,
when it comes to the 5700xt you are absolutely right,
about the nvidia side of things i think i have to get the 2070 not because of rt cores *that right now are essentially usless for rendering* but performance/$ where i live an 1080ti new costs around 1000€ you can find maybe a mined card for like 500€ however is a risk I'm not ready to take, other way around the 2070 costs around 500€ new( but like you said the concern remains is there enough vram?And on what kind of scene will it bottleneck?)

When it comes to vray performance wise pci lanes dosn't matter to much between x8 or x16 however i've seen benchmarks of other renderers i want to experiment it matters a bit.
So my next question when talking about the x470 mobo are there added lanes from the chipset like on some intel mobos?And if so how many lanes are added by the mobo?

Cpu wise i thiink i'll get the 3700x like u adviced it higher clocks> better for active viewport also great for some light cpu rendering.
Thank you

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thank you for your response,
when it comes to the 5700xt you are absolutely right,
about the nvidia side of things i think i have to get the 2070 not because of rt cores *that right now are essentially usless for rendering* but performance/$ where i live an 1080ti new costs around 1000€ you can find maybe a mined card for like 500€ however is a risk I'm not ready to take, other way around the 2070 costs around 500€ new( but like you said the concern remains is there enough vram?And on what kind of scene will it bottleneck?)

When it comes to vray performance wise pci lanes dosn't matter to much between x8 or x16 however i've seen benchmarks of other renderers i want to experiment it matters a bit.
So my next question when talking about the x470 mobo are there added lanes from the chipset like on some intel mobos?And if so how many lanes are added by the mobo?

Cpu wise i thiink i'll get the 3700x like u adviced it higher clocks> better for active viewport also great for some light cpu rendering.
Thank you
If you are going to game on the side, yeah I can see where a 2070 would be compelling for other reasons. I've seen some pretty sweet deals on 1080 Tis, but of course that'll vary by country due to various factors such as availability of remaining stock.

As for the viewport, the BEST thing you can do is have a separate GPU for the viewport and desktop duties. it doesn't need to be anything fancy, most low end cards these days will do the job just fine. That way your 8 GB card can focus 100% on rendering, and allow you to do other things whiile a render is baking.

I have a 2400G + 1080 Ti combo that does exactly this. The Embedded Vega graphics in the AMD APU run my desktop, and even alllow me to do light gaming while a render is baking, as long as the Daz scene fits in my Nvidia GPU. The downside to this arrangement is that I have only 4 cores/8 threads to work with, which while workable could be better. In my case, the 2400G drives my monitor and my Daz viewport (unless it's in Iray mode of course).

I'd love an 8 core AMD APU, but they don't make those yet. Intel CPUs come in 8 cores plus integrated graphics varieties, but Intel comes with more security headaches than AMD these days. So you could grab an 8 core AMD CPU + a cheap graphics card, as long as you had a spare PCIe slot for the extra card. It can be AMD or Nvidia, doesn't matter as far as rendering is concerned, although if you plan to game on said card, this strategy is less effective. At that point, a second 2070 or some other card becomes more attractive, but of course that'd most likely be out of your budget for the moment.

We may see new 7nm AMD APUs at the end of this year or the beginning of next year, so they are a ways off still. The 3400G is essentially a 12nm refresh of the 2400G, so a bit faster, maybe slightly better heat dissapation thanks to the soldered heat spreader, but that's about it.

Anyways, back on point. Just wanted to mention the 'buy cheap graphics card for your desktop and Daz viewport duties, freeing up your 2070 100% for rendering duties' option. With only one graphics card, your system WILL be more sluggish when rendering or using the Daz Iray viewport. The 8 cores will help a bit, but not as much as a second GPU/APU will.

As for X470s with 3 PCIe 16 slots, there are a few out there, but on X470 the lane situation is a bit more tight. I'm looking at the Asrock Taichi specs at the moment, and you'll be looking a PCIe3 x8/x8 plus PCIe2 x4, with the second NVME disabled if you want to populate all three PCIe slots. This situation is common among X470 boards. Not THAT big of a deal unless you were planning on using both NVME slots.

X570 has double the PCIe bandwidth when coupled with a 3000 series Matisse CPU, so they can squeeze a few more onboard PCIe lanes onto the motherboards. X470 boards weren't built that way, so while the 3700X has the capability, the X470 boards weren't designed with 7nm Ryzen's added capabilities in mind.

The Threadripper boards have MUCH more wiggle room with PCIe, but of course the 3700X is AM4, not TR4 so TR4 boards won't work with the 3700X.

Reactions: darkshaw

darkshaw

Jan 20, 2019
If you are going to game on the side, yeah I can see where a 2070 would be compelling for other reasons. I've seen some pretty sweet deals on 1080 Tis, but of course that'll vary by country due to various factors such as availability of remaining stock.

As for the viewport, the BEST thing you can do is have a separate GPU for the viewport and desktop duties. it doesn't need to be anything fancy, most low end cards these days will do the job just fine. That way your 8 GB card can focus 100% on rendering, and allow you to do other things whiile a render is baking.

I have a 2400G + 1080 Ti combo that does exactly this. The Embedded Vega graphics in the AMD APU run my desktop, and even alllow me to do light gaming while a render is baking, as long as the Daz scene fits in my Nvidia GPU. The downside to this arrangement is that I have only 4 cores/8 threads to work with, which while workable could be better. In my case, the 2400G drives my monitor and my Daz viewport (unless it's in Iray mode of course).

I'd love an 8 core AMD APU, but they don't make those yet. Intel CPUs come in 8 cores plus integrated graphics varieties, but Intel comes with more security headaches than AMD these days. So you could grab an 8 core AMD CPU + a cheap graphics card, as long as you had a spare PCIe slot for the extra card. It can be AMD or Nvidia, doesn't matter as far as rendering is concerned, although if you plan to game on said card, this strategy is less effective. At that point, a second 2070 or some other card becomes more attractive, but of course that'd most likely be out of your budget for the moment.

We may see new 7nm AMD APUs at the end of this year or the beginning of next year, so they are a ways off still. The 3400G is essentially a 12nm refresh of the 2400G, so a bit faster, maybe slightly better heat dissapation thanks to the soldered heat spreader, but that's about it.

Anyways, back on point. Just wanted to mention the 'buy cheap graphics card for your desktop and Daz viewport duties, freeing up your 2070 100% for rendering duties' option. With only one graphics card, your system WILL be more sluggish when rendering or using the Daz Iray viewport. The 8 cores will help a bit, but not as much as a second GPU/APU will.

As for X470s with 3 PCIe 16 slots, there are a few out there, but on X470 the lane situation is a bit more tight. I'm looking at the Asrock Taichi specs at the moment, and you'll be looking a PCIe3 x8/x8 plus PCIe2 x4, with the second NVME disabled if you want to populate all three PCIe slots. This situation is common among X470 boards. Not THAT big of a deal unless you were planning on using both NVME slots.

X570 has double the PCIe bandwidth when coupled with a 3000 series Matisse CPU, so they can squeeze a few more onboard PCIe lanes onto the motherboards. X470 boards weren't built that way, so while the 3700X has the capability, the X470 boards weren't designed with 7nm Ryzen's added capabilities in mind.

The Threadripper boards have MUCH more wiggle room with PCIe, but of course the 3700X is AM4, not TR4 so TR4 boards won't work with the 3700X.
I like the idea of a second gpu just for the viewport i'll pair the 2070 with a cheap 580 , also by coincidence i was looking at the same mobo you reffered "Asrock Taichi".

Last question and then i'll stop bothering you :LOL:
For the 2070 wich costum should i go for? (like some say to not lock at an overclocked card because is less stable, some say to go with an extreme edition etc ) so on this i'm not clear

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
darkshaw

I'd suggest looking at the Newegg.com and Amazon.com reviews for the cards, to see which ones are having the most issues, so that you can surmise which cards are the flakiest and which ones are pretty solid. For rendering, I don't really recommend overclocking, as the card is going to throttle when rendering anyways. Liquid cooling can help with this, but is probably more trouble than it's worth for most people.

I'm using a Zotac card myself. I like the overclocking/underclocking utility that Zotac uses, but I'm sure the ones from other manufacturers are good too. I generally undervolt my 1080 Ti a bit, as I like to keep my temps down around 70-71c. The card can handle more heat, but I'm planning on keeping the card for a while, so not pushing the card so hard should extend it's life.

I'm personally not a fan of MSI these days, thanks to my now self-bricked uber laptop which I can't even flash the BIOS on since it can't even post. It bricked itself, I never tried flashing the BIOS or anything like that. So I'm biased against MSI, but some other people like the MSI boards and cards.

I have an Asrock X470 Mini ITX board, which is NOT the Taichi, but uses the same chipset. I"m pretty happy with my Asrock board. The BIOS options give you a fair amount of flexibility, and other users of the board have given it pretty good reviews. The reason I'm on Mini ITX is that this system will eventually be retired to HTPC, once the 7nm Threadrippers drop. That was always my plan, but AMD is taking it's sweet time with 7nm Threadripper...

Anyways, hopefully others can jump in their with their 'fave' recommendations for 2070 cards.

darkshaw

Jan 20, 2019
darkshaw

I'd suggest looking at the Newegg.com and Amazon.com reviews for the cards, to see which ones are having the most issues, so that you can surmise which cards are the flakiest and which ones are pretty solid. For rendering, I don't really recommend overclocking, as the card is going to throttle when rendering anyways. Liquid cooling can help with this, but is probably more trouble than it's worth for most people.

I'm using a Zotac card myself. I like the overclocking/underclocking utility that Zotac uses, but I'm sure the ones from other manufacturers are good too. I generally undervolt my 1080 Ti a bit, as I like to keep my temps down around 70-71c. The card can handle more heat, but I'm planning on keeping the card for a while, so not pushing the card so hard should extend it's life.

I'm personally not a fan of MSI these days, thanks to my now self-bricked uber laptop which I can't even flash the BIOS on since it can't even post. It bricked itself, I never tried flashing the BIOS or anything like that. So I'm biased against MSI, but some other people like the MSI boards and cards.

I have an Asrock X470 Mini ITX board, which is NOT the Taichi, but uses the same chipset. I"m pretty happy with my Asrock board. The BIOS options give you a fair amount of flexibility, and other users of the board have given it pretty good reviews. The reason I'm on Mini ITX is that this system will eventually be retired to HTPC, once the 7nm Threadrippers drop. That was always my plan, but AMD is taking it's sweet time with 7nm Threadripper...

Anyways, hopefully others can jump in their with their 'fave' recommendations for 2070 cards.
Trully thank you for your toughtful advices !
I'll use it wisely!(y)(y)

Reactions: OhWee

Lust Demon

Apr 22, 2018
I'm not quite up to date on all the components and I've never used DAZ, but building my own rigs for awhile here's my opinion:

Wait a few weeks to 2 months if you can. AMD just released/announced new tech renewing wars with both Intel and Nvidia. Since they took over Radeon and bitcoin hasn't really recovered, the end of 2019 is going to get interesting in CPU and GPU markets. Price slashing and releasing "almost next tier 'upgraded and reduced price' cards" has already started to happen.

As for ram, my general priority is CAS latency over size. Basically, I buy the biggest matched set I can afford, at the lowest CAS latency available for the highest speed the mobo can handle. And what they CAN do is often higher than what they're rated for. I used to toss ECC into that, but it's moot with newer chips and has become cost prohibitive.

PSU wattage in itself is meh. It really depends on how it's distributed on the busses/rails vs what you require. Different components use different voltages. And sometimes, it's a lie. For the record, Antec gets irritated after the 2nd PSU you've returned under warranty because you burned out the 5V rail. (Old SMP machine. I think the mobo had an issue. LOL)

Also, as an AMD fan, make sure you pick a case with good cooling, and account for the airflow for the components that you're shoving into it. AMD stuff runs hot; always has. It uses more power which directly equates to more heat. Lesson learned: Ditch the stock cooler, buy a good aftermarket and good thermal paste.

Final note: Use a program that shows usage of components and actually watch it when you do stuff with your current rig. 3 years ago I had a coworker swear to me that you NEEDED 16 gb of ram to "just check email and surf the internet." His degree was in Computer Engineering. My rig had 8 gb, ran the latest games and whatnot, and never used more than 60% of the ram, except for GIMP. Just saying, it'll give you a better idea of what's actually bottlenecking your setup.

OhWee I'm ticked at MSI right now too. I'm limping my GPU along by manually setting the fan speed to 97% through afterburner since their "better components" equates to "fried temp sensor." I just IDK, I've been using their mobo's and GPU's for over a decade and I'm hesitant to change. Old dogs and new tricks I guess.

BTW, I OC everything.

Thread just reminds me of how much I'm overdue to building a new rig. Generally happens about every 4 years, but "life has a funny way of workin' out." :(

Last edited:

darkshaw

Jan 20, 2019
I'm not quite up to date on all the components and I've never used DAZ, but building my own rigs for awhile here's my opinion:

Wait a few weeks to 2 months if you can. AMD just released/announced new tech renewing wars with both Intel and Nvidia. Since they took over Radeon and bitcoin hasn't really recovered, the end of 2019 is going to get interesting in CPU and GPU markets. Price slashing and releasing "almost next tier 'upgraded and reduced price' cards" has already started to happen.

As for ram, my general priority is CAS latency over size. Basically, I buy the biggest matched set I can afford, at the lowest CAS latency available for the highest speed the mobo can handle. And what they CAN do is often higher than what they're rated for. I used to toss ECC into that, but it's moot with newer chips and has become cost prohibitive.

PSU wattage in itself is meh. It really depends on how it's distributed on the busses/rails vs what you require. Different components use different voltages. And sometimes, it's a lie. For the record, Antec gets irritated after the 2nd PSU you've returned under warranty because you burned out the 5V rail. (Old SMP machine. I think the mobo had an issue. LOL)

Also, as an AMD fan, make sure you pick a case with good cooling, and account for the airflow for the components that you're shoving into it. AMD stuff runs hot; always has. It uses more power which directly equates to more heat. Lesson learned: Ditch the stock cooler, buy a good aftermarket and good thermal paste.

Final note: Use a program that shows usage of components and actually watch it when you do stuff with your current rig. 3 years ago I had a coworker swear to me that you NEEDED 16 gb of ram to "just check email and surf the internet." His degree was in Computer Engineering. My rig had 8 gb, ran the latest games and whatnot, and never used more than 60% of the ram, except for GIMP. Just saying, it'll give you a better idea of what's actually bottlenecking your setup.

OhWee I'm ticked at MSI right now too. I'm limping my GPU along by manually setting the fan speed to 97% through afterburner since their "better components" equates to "fried temp sensor." I just IDK, I've been using their mobo's and GPU's for over a decade and I'm hesitant to change. Old dogs and new tricks I guess.

BTW, I OC everything.

Thread just reminds me of how much I'm overdue to building a new rig. Generally happens about every 4 years, but "life has a funny way of workin' out." :(
Dear friend ,
Unfortunally i can't wait a lot because other than my hobby , i need the pc also for work (i'm a web dev) and my old one basically gone and even if i don't need a high end pc for web development i need one for my hobby (Building Adult games) and i don't have excess money to build 2 rigs like one lowend now and whan highend later.
Also you are right probably Nvidia will lower the prices however i think quite later than we predict (Looking at past behaivor)

When it comes to memory you are right about the Cas latency is really impactful i found good c14 memory on sale.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
My current rig is running DDR4 3200 CL14 ram from GSkill. The new 7nm Ryzens are less picky about ram than the previous gen, so when the time comes I'll be looking to hunt down some 3600 CL14, since 3600-3733 is the supposed sweet spot for 7nm Ryzen.

A tidbit just hit the rumormill that both AMD and Intel are looking at October launches for new CPUs. For AMD, presumably that'll be 7nm Threadripper, as we already know that the 3950X is scheduled for September. But it's a rumor, so huge grain of salt and all that.

That being said the gains from faster ram tend to be on the order of low single digits, according to a couple of articles I've read, so as long as you aren't buying really slow ram, say less than 2933, with loose timings to boot, 7nm Ryzen will do OK with it.

Lust Demon

Apr 22, 2018
Dear friend ,
Unfortunally i can't wait a lot because other than my hobby , i need the pc also for work (i'm a web dev) and my old one basically gone and even if i don't need a high end pc for web development i need one for my hobby (Building Adult games) and i don't have excess money to build 2 rigs like one lowend now and whan highend later.
Also you are right probably Nvidia will lower the prices however i think quite later than we predict (Looking at past behaivor)

When it comes to memory you are right about the Cas latency is really impactful i found good c14 memory on sale.
AMD already started on the GPU front, at least. And a prelim look at Newegg, says it happened.

Totally get the need. Don't know what crapped out, but if your GPU and SSD/HDD are currently "good enough" you could build the rest of the system and swap those parts over for now. Not my favorite way to do things, but old PC's generally get pushed to semi-retirement "project box" and "file server" duty; neither of which really need more than on-board graphics. Just a suggestion if you're in a pinch. Storage and GPU you'll want to upgrade over time anyway.

is about where I would start on a new build, in that price range... ish. 2 BIG caveats: 1. I didn't spend days/weeks like I usually would (OCD about things like this). 2. Some items (RAM, GPU, SSD) were only chosen because they were the closest to what I would buy that the site had a price listed for. Honestly, I'd likely swap the ram for Gskill F4-3200C14D-32GVK if you can find it, costs more but other 3200 C14's aren't worth the money on top of that. Also, Corsair had a slightly better spec'ed RAM kit a bit cheaper on Newegg. I'd likely not use a Sapphire GPU, but all the 5700 RT's are about the same price and there isn't a lot of data considering they just came out.

My current rig is running DDR4 3200 CL14 ram from GSkill. The new 7nm Ryzens are less picky about ram than the previous gen, so when the time comes I'll be looking to hunt down some 3600 CL14, since 3600-3733 is the supposed sweet spot for 7nm Ryzen.

A tidbit just hit the rumormill that both AMD and Intel are looking at October launches for new CPUs. For AMD, presumably that'll be 7nm Threadripper, as we already know that the 3950X is scheduled for September. But it's a rumor, so huge grain of salt and all that.

That being said the gains from faster ram tend to be on the order of low single digits, according to a couple of articles I've read, so as long as you aren't buying really slow ram, say less than 2933, with loose timings to boot, 7nm Ryzen will do OK with it.
AMD has always done interesting things with their architectures. I'll have to look into it when I get a chance.

GSkill is awesome. I've never had a bad chip from them, they OC easily, and they deliver performance at a much lower cost than the ancient Gods like Crucial.

You're right. A point or two in CAS doesn't compare to a few hundred MHz, or another 4 gig in size. Point was, don't skimp a few bucks on RAM and end up with junk.