Can all windows games run on older operating system?

Valronn

Apr 13, 2018
I decided to dig out my laptop which hasnt been turned if for over 5 years and was wondering will i be able to run game downloads on win xp?

Also are there other apps/program i would need to download? Sorry for very noob questions but iv only ever played these games on my android.

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
It depends on the game engine.
HTML: maybe. Try Firefox ESR or Google Chrome 49 (latest version running on XP)
Ren'py: yes.
RPG Maker 2000/2003/XP/VX/VX Ace: yes
RPG Maker MV / Visual Novel Maker / Tyranobuilder: only the oldest games, I fear. Those engines are based on Chromium, which stopped working on XP since v50.
Unity, Java: ???

Good luck. Depending on the specs of your laptop, I'd install either Windows 7 or a Linux distro.

Reactions: Valronn

Valronn

Apr 13, 2018
My laptop has the requirements for win 10 tho to buy 10 home its like £119 lol. Was wondering if i downloaded onto phone and transfered via sd card would work as i understand it internet isnt an option ? I was thinking the old OP might not be able to play the games i wanna play which dont work on android like unity games :(

scrumbles

Engaged Member
Jan 12, 2019
My laptop has the requirements for win 10 tho to buy 10 home its like £119 lol.
Alternatively you could buy an OEM license. It costs much less and there are plenty of resellers on ebay.
It's slightly different from a retail license though: here's a about their differences.
Was wondering if i downloaded onto phone and transfered via sd card would work as i understand it internet isnt an option ?
I guess so. Or, if you have a USB cable, you could connect your phone to your laptop as if it were an external storage: no need to physically remove the SD card.
You could even use your smartphone as a modem and download the games directly on your computer.
If your laptop has Bluetooth built in, I think you don't even need the USB cable.

Btw, if you choose to buy Win 10, you can download the official disc image (the .iso file) from . Then you must burn a DVD or create a bootable Flash drive and finally install the OS.

rawry776

Jun 2, 2020
I've ran into VNs you can only play on XP like "[MAIKA] Choukou Sentai Justice Blade II". For people like me who run windows 10 you need a virtual machine for XP to run it.

Some of those older games might not be worth the hassle for windows 10 users.