Can ISP see your HTML game page?

Arabi1

Donor
Oct 23, 2023
ISP = Internet service provider

I was playing Free Cities preg mod and I saw a warning from the developer to open the game in an incognito browser and that's what I was doing, so I guess that's the issue why the game doesn't save well unless I do it manually. My skepticism increased especially when I wanted to use a good VPN and I saw comments on Reddit saying that the ISP can still see what site you visit.

Gunjira

Aug 10, 2024
they absolutely can but it's kinda like the taxes, it can be problematic only if someone snitch on you, otherwise there's no real reasons to worry.

if you don't want to leave any room for shit to happens you can always navigate with TOR instead, that should be sufficient to hide your tracks.

Reactions: Arabi1

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
ISP = Internet service provider

I was playing Free Cities preg mod and I saw a warning from the developer to open the game in an incognito browser and that's what I was doing, so I guess that's the issue why the game doesn't save well unless I do it manually. My skepticism increased especially when I wanted to use a good VPN and I saw comments on Reddit saying that the ISP can still see what site you visit.
Depending, depending.
HTTP or HTTPS?

The first is open and everyone can see, if they wanted, what you see, if no additional layer of security is used.
The other, should be, if no brache is done, secure as the name suggest. Yet, DNS resovel is usally not secured, so if you go to very.bad.site.that.nobody.shall.know it is know. From my semi somewhat understanding, this is an issue and have also one or more secure alternative available, yet they aren't that widespread used as https.

That is the basic. Also as any intermediate needs to know the source and destination, they always will know source and destination, but not more. So if I use a VPN, tor or whatever, then they know the VPN entry point or tor entry point and as well the tor or vpn exit point and the website.
In all case you need to trust someone either ISP, VPN or tor.

So, if we are all secure and are we then happy?
Perhaps. If you can monitor the packets, even without knowing the content, you can do some statistic and do some correlation and guess from which source the packets go to which destination even if you don't know the inbetween. How high the chance are that they will do that for you, most likely depending on how big the case of issue you are to them.

What is much more critical is, that if you use cookies, jasvascript or anything similar you can get tracked over website and targeted. That is what all the big AD companies do (Alphabet, Meta, most likely X ...). For this you clear your browsers cache, use private mode and so on.

patriarchy1

Feb 24, 2020
If it's locally downloaded, I don't think so. If you are playing online, they would have the URL of where you've been so yeah.

Edit: For the record, the ISP can see the encrypted version of the data being sent to you, and the IP of your VPN. It makes them seethe pretty badly.

patriarchy1

Feb 24, 2020
One more quick aside, just make sure you have a decent VPN. A lot of people fall into the pit of getting a VPN which is owned by people who are looking to fuck them over (copyright companies etc).

Arabi1

Donor
Oct 23, 2023
if you don't want to leave any room for shit to happens you can always navigate with TOR instead, that should be sufficient to hide your tracks.
Believe it or not, I was using Tor to browse this forum before I found this thread https://f95zone.to/threads/bypassing-isp-government-blocking.45990/ and now I'm using Cloudflare WARP after I compared it with VPN, UltraSurf proxy and encrypted DNS (Such as 1.1.1.1). Because Tor is so slow.

they absolutely can but it's kinda like the taxes, it can be problematic only if someone snitch on you, otherwise there's no real reasons to worry.
Five years ago, the use, possession or sharing of any sexual content was a cybercrime punishable by at least $200,000 dollars and at least one year in jail. When I checked the law months ago, it seems they reformed it so the law is no longer in effect. But I still have a flashback of the high fine numbers and I don't want to put myself in the "haha we got you" situation so I like to play it safe. Especially since the government has a 50%+ stake/shares in the ISP, so it is a state-owned company. So there is no "snitch", the data goes directly to them.

But I've been using this site for a long time, so I'm kind of reassured that I don't have to think about it too much. Still, I won't be using HTML games for a while.

That is the basic. Also as any intermediate needs to know the source and destination, they always will know source and destination, but not more. So if I use a VPN, tor or whatever, then they know the VPN entry point or tor entry point and as well the tor or vpn exit point and the website.
In all case you need to trust someone either ISP, VPN or tor.
You are right. I have been using Tor for a long time, so I will trust it the most.