• To improve security, we will soon start forcing password resets for any account that uses a weak password on the next login. If you have a weak password or a defunct email, please update it now to prevent future disruption.

Ren'Py Can't run any Ren'py applications

nqgch

Oct 22, 2017
Hello,
I have been unable to open any Ren'py applications(mostly games). Every time I start up a ren'py game (eg. Ren'py.exe) in its main directory , it gives me this error:

Could not execute
game directory\lib\windows-i686\Ren'py.exe. Is it missing?

This is the error I get for the case of when I try to open the Ren'py game launcher. I get the same error for every other game, it's just that the executable name changes for each game. When I look in the windows-i686 directory where it says the executable could be missing, I find it there. It doesn't do anything when I open it.

I'm not an experienced user, so i don't know what is the problem or how to fix it. Does anybody have any ideas about this? any kind of help is appreciated.

ps: game directory: no matter where i save the game i get the error above.
my security software and window don't block Ren'py.

Thank you!

TCMS

Quote my posts if you want an answer
Donor
Former Staff
Aug 5, 2016
My guess is your username has some weird characters. Try to move your games to C:\Games\ and try from there.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Hello,
I have been unable to open any Ren'py applications(mostly games). Every time I start up a ren'py game (eg. Ren'py.exe) in its main directory , it gives me this error:

Could not execute

This is the error I get for the case of when I try to open the Ren'py game launcher. I get the same error for every other game, it's just that the executable name changes for each game. When I look in the windows-i686 directory where it says the executable could be missing, I find it there. It doesn't do anything when I open it.

I'm not an experienced user, so i don't know what is the problem or how to fix it. Does anybody have any ideas about this? any kind of help is appreciated.

Thank you!
Sounds like your AV is blocking the program.
1) Add the program to your AV's whitelist.
2) Right click on the program and choose "Run as Administrator".

nqgch

Oct 22, 2017
My guess is your username has some weird characters. Try to move your games to C:\Games\ and try from there.
Thank you for your response, i am thinking there is maybe a problem with my system's encoding, and it can't represent the characters in my username. I am not sure.

nqgch

Oct 22, 2017
Sounds like your AV is blocking the program.
1) Add the program to your AV's whitelist.
2) Right click on the program and choose "Run as Administrator".
Thank you for your response, as i mentioned in my question. Neither my Antivirus nor Window block the program on my computer.

Papa Ernie

Squirrel!?
Uploader
Donor
Dec 4, 2016
Thank you for your response, as i mentioned in my question. Neither my Antivirus nor Window block the program on my computer.
Often, AV software doen't tell you when it blocks programs. Just add the Ren'py .exe to your whitelist and try it out. It can't hurt.

ghulsk

Aug 9, 2016
just met the same problem. already deactivated antivirus but it didn't help. it is looking for the exe in the folders lib\windows-i686 but those folders do not exist. did someone find a solution for this?

daheroxx

Oct 1, 2018
One way to execute them is from the same compressed file without decompressing running the game so solve that problem with the ren'py

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
If your computer's username contains Cyrillic, Kanji or any other symbol outside of English alphabet try to move the game folder in C:/ and run it from there... So if the game was called "Bob", the final directory would be C: / Bob.

Trumpisdaddy

Feb 3, 2018
I had the same problems back in the day when I was just playing Akabur games. I fixed it somehow and can't remember how I did it then. Just facing the same problem now. I'll see if I can find a solution. I guess you just need a new user account and probably will fix a lot of it

Helmut Schreyer

Mar 29, 2020
Hello,

Could not execute

Thank you!
apology for bad english,i tried to write without the google translator,
but I couldn't and I thought that would be better to use google translator

I was having the same problem when I changed my windows from 7 to 8 and when I went back to 7 this same problem started to appear, and to solve I just changed my windows to windows 7 ultimate and fix it

Rico83

Jan 15, 2018
It worked;)

- Deactivate the virus program and leave it deactivated
- Unpack Dual_Family-098ce-pc
- and start (it takes a few seconds until it starts)

Sorry for my poor English, unfortunately I only wrote it with Google Translate.