VN Ren'Py Captain Lance [0.75.4-PRE-RELEASE-2] [TearStar]

3.30 star(s) 9 Votes

Spawn420

Oct 24, 2018
I don't know what the patch supposed to fix... but I placed all 4 files in the game folder and it still reset quest log on load, still crash error on reading black regiment code.
also if going on a successful date with Hannah followed by a date with Ana then our MC gets a vision about Hanna as her wife and Helenas mother yet next day after the date with Ana MC says its both good and bad that her vision stayed the same (as in still with Ana as the wife) while we saw it change to Hannah..

Last edited:

magus448

May 22, 2018
You may need to delete the corresponding rpy files of the ones replaced by the patch.

thesgc

Aug 30, 2019
What's the difference, exactly, between .25 and .30? Seems the end state is essentially the same, don't know what was added.

noname777

Jul 8, 2018
Old save files might not work as intended (before 25.1). Read developer notes for details.
Oh no! I have already forgotten what choices I made and why.
Does it matter which class I choose (engineer, soldier, etc.) or where I come from (Earth, Moon, etc.)?

TearStar

Developer of Lesbian/Futa Games
Game Developer
Mar 12, 2018
Oh no! I have already forgotten what choices I made and why.
Does it matter which class I choose (engineer, soldier, etc.) or where I come from (Earth, Moon, etc.)?
Why wouldn't it? These choices are - albeit little choices - will change your game a little sometime later. For example: There will be events that require you to be technical, a solider class can not take the smart solution. These however does not yet implemented. Same for origin stories but they are different iterations for Sarah's origin story. I won't say anything specific not to spoil it. (I can share examples in PM or in Discord PM).

noname777

Jul 8, 2018
Why wouldn't it? These choices are - albeit little choices - will change your game a little sometime later. For example: There will be events that require you to be technical, a solider class can not take the smart solution. These however does not yet implemented. Same for origin stories but they are different iterations for Sarah's origin story. I won't say anything specific not to spoil it. (I can share examples in PM or in Discord PM).
I always know that I want to be an engineer, so that was easy, but when it comes to my origin, last time I've been thinking about it for a good half hour, if not more.

Stretta

Nov 21, 2018
My two cents: The writing is my main problem. It seems like you confused world-building with exposition dumps. Long stretches of dry, unnecessary dialogue covering the backstories of every faction, person, and event plus the constant politicing gets mind-numbing quick. It's like if the first half hour of Star Wars was Luke explaining to R2 and 3-PO what the Empire's political views are, what Jawas are, how lightspeed works, and why Tatooine is covered in sand. No one cares and none of it matters. All that shit is stuff other games would stuff in a codex for you to go look up yourself if you care.

It's a shame because the stuff with the visions is cool and interesting. It just sucks that it's surrounded by so much boring baggage.

Also: The anime girls are aesthetically way out of place and quite jarring.

Also also: MC's height seems inconsistent. In the first chapter she seemed taller than (or at least as tall as) Ana, but later she's dwarfed by everyone. On top of that, she looks nothing like the rest of her family, or even the other characters in the game. She's so pale and gaunt that at times she looks eerily similar to Michael Jackson.

Also x3: Some variation in skin tones would be nice. There has to be over a dozen characters in there and every single one of them is white. All this talk about the different races kinda falls flat when everyone looks largely the same.

TearStar

Developer of Lesbian/Futa Games
Game Developer
Mar 12, 2018
My two cents: The writing is my main problem. It seems like you confused world-building with exposition dumps. Long stretches of dry, unnecessary dialogue covering the backstories of every faction, person, and event plus the constant politicing gets mind-numbing quick. It's like if the first half hour of Star Wars was Luke explaining to R2 and 3-PO what the Empire's political views are, what Jawas are, how lightspeed works, and why Tatooine is covered in sand. No one cares and none of it matters. All that shit is stuff other games would stuff in a codex for you to go look up yourself if you care.

It's a shame because the stuff with the visions is cool and interesting. It just sucks that it's surrounded by so much boring baggage.

Also: The anime girls are aesthetically way out of place and quite jarring.

Also also: MC's height seems inconsistent. In the first chapter she seemed taller than (or at least as tall as) Ana, but later she's dwarfed by everyone. On top of that, she looks nothing like the rest of her family, or even the other characters in the game. She's so pale and gaunt that at times she looks eerily similar to Michael Jackson.

Also x3: Some variation in skin tones would be nice. There has to be over a dozen characters in there and every single one of them is white. All this talk about the different races kinda falls flat when everyone looks largely the same.
Your "Also x3" part made your well made criticism into a hate mail but I talk about it later in this response.

I know that the writing at first is a lot and I knew writing it too. But starting a new universe without context is like getting a job without experience which often happens and ends awfully. There is a lot of context and lot of which matters / or missed out right now but I'm never forgetting that this is a story oriented game in priority. I think the politics and other stuff actually quite important and good. If I were to create an only adult game within this genre I would have never started a sci-fi game at all.

"Also" -> That is due asset limitations. I was searching a lot for "Welddians" but other counterparts were either monsters, orcs, more elves or other dark creatures. I was not going to implement them but for the sake of the lore I had to do something EXTREME. This is still a joke but they were never going to be in the big picture. I'm aware of that.

"Also x2" -> It's the other way around, Ana is taller - by default - than Sarah, but due to inconsistent saves of Ana there are some scenarios that I forgot to rescale her model. It happens. Mistakes were made. Stone me for that.

"Also x3" -> That is the part that made me laugh out loud when I was reading - finally - a well started criticism and this is why I can't take your whole essay seriously. Because it is an accusation. Without knowing the whole game. Because next update will actually feature a black male. We have on Discord an #asset channel where we post something when we think it's useful and I posted that model to be a character in game. The date tells you everything.
Here is proof:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
And I don't read many of other game's topics but really? This was supposed to be a criticism? This is almost an all-girl game and I have not seen a single different skin tone varied model that looked that appealing to me. Due to also asset limitations I have to work from what I have. This point made your whole argument to me worthless.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Stretta

Nov 21, 2018
Struck a nerve, I take it. Cool your jets bud, I'm not out to get you or whatever you think is happening. I noticed a lack of variety. Simple as that. your own writing repeatedly draws attention to all these supposedly very different races, and yet every character in the game is white. It's not a "hate mail" or an "accusation." It's an observable fact. If you don't like it, it's your game and in your power to change it. Throwing a fit at me for noticing it doesn't accomplish anything.

Rather than get defensive and try to play some sort of misguided victim card, you could have simply said that you already had plans to address the matter

Last edited:

RHFlash

Apr 4, 2018
Struck a nerve, I take it. Cool your jets bud, I'm not out to get you or whatever you think is happening.
Yes you are. You basically hate roasted the game, and when the developer responds relatively unfavorably you pull the "why are you mad bro". You comments themselves could be taken as fair criticism, but your execution of those criticisms made it clear you just wanted to roast the game. If you actually want developers to take you "advice", then delivery is key. What you should have said is...
"My two cents: There is a lot of exposition in the game that takes away from the game's immersion. Rather than exposing the lore of the game through long stretches of dialogue, it may be a better idea to expose it gradually over time through actual scenes, and in smaller segments. Maybe on a date with one of the romance interests, she can take you to her home planet where you can experience her race's culture first hand. Another idea is to put that information in a codex."

-I disagree with your comment about the anime girls, but it's fair.

-You should have ended your "Also also" point one sentence earlier.

-Your "Also x3" point has merit. If there are these alien races, it may be cool to have girls with red skin and discerning physical characteristics such as tails/horns, like in Starship Inanna, but you had already cemented yourself as hate mail at that point so it's no surprise the developer doesn't care much about the points you made.

You see when you pepper your comment with dialogue such as:
No one cares and none of it matters
She's so pale and gaunt that at times she looks eerily similar to Michael Jackson
It just sucks that it's surrounded by so much boring baggage
,your comment stops being the fair criticism and suggestion it could have been, and becomes "hate mail" that's mostly going to be ignored. I get being frustrated when you play a game that has a lot of potential, but you personally feel like it's being squandered, however you have to be careful with how you phrase things. Again delivery is key, there's "will you go on a date with me?", and then there's "yo bitch, I'll pick you up at 6, wear the black thong". They both have largely the same meaning, but the latter will get you slapped.

qwertzuiop

Apr 30, 2017
Struck a nerve, I take it. Cool your jets bud, I'm not out to get you or whatever you think is happening. I noticed a lack of variety. Simple as that. your own writing repeatedly draws attention to all these supposedly very different races, and yet every character in the game is white. It's not a "hate mail" or an "accusation." It's an observable fact. If you don't like it, it's your game and in your power to change it. Throwing a fit at me for noticing it doesn't accomplish anything.

I think you need to cool your own jets, dude. It's perfectly fine if ALL of the characters are white. No, there's nothing wrong with it. There's also nothing wrong with other authors making games that only feature black people, or asians or whatever. The only "observable fact" here is, that you feel a need to point out the "whiteness". You are accusing the author. You're just getting pissy yourself because TearStar doesn't quite react to your passive-aggressiveness like you thought.

"If you don't like it, it's your game and in your power to change it"

See how this is written? You don't say, it's your game, your rules, no , it's in TearStar's power to change it. As if your idea of change has to happen, because "you know better", right?

"Rather than get defensive and try to play some sort of misguided victim card, you could have simply said that you already had plans to address the matter"

How very "generous" of you. Almost makes me want to puke about how self-righteous it is. There is no "matter" that has to be addressed. Nothing is wrong and nothing needs to be changed. But hey, maybe you want to play your own misguided victim card now?

ThisIsMe88

May 12, 2018
I like this game, and especially its characters. Anastasia has to be my favourite, but my inner paranoid-self tells me that I'm going to run into a nasty surprise before the story concludes if I don't keep her "under check" ^.^

I also don't get the critic about the "info-dumping". There are (sci-fi) games on this very site which are worse about it, but to each their own. In the case of this game, I thought it was done rather tastefully, so don't let it deter you. It just requires the attention span of something more evolved than a gold fish I guess.

It's a bit on the short side still, but I'm looking forward to going past my first major decision in the game, and start the real deal with the exploration.

Thank you very much to the author for sharing the game and participating in these forums.

Reactions: TearStar
3.30 star(s) 9 Votes