Challenge: You like Harem? Why does your genre not even have a word to describe "A guy seeking a Harem".

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
What is a word for a guy seeking a Harem?
E.g., "Oh, look, it's that guy, he's a ................, he's trying to form a Harem."

You'd think with all the Harem games, there'd be a precise word to describe a male who is seeking a Harem. (Perhaps I'm looking at it from the wrong perspective? :unsure:) Maybe there's a word in Japanese?

I considered the following terms, but they're not precise enough, or have too many words.

Playboy: a wealthy man who spends his time enjoying himself, especially one who behaves irresponsibly or has many casual sexual relationships.
"he isn't the marrying type, he's just a playboy"
Problem: No emphasis on loyalty. Not all Harem guys are rich I imagine.

Gentleman: a chivalrous, courteous, or honorable man. ..
Problem: Too general and non-specific. A guy with a Harem could be a huge a-hole.

Player: a confident, successful man with many sexual partners.
Problem: No emphasis on loyalty.

Acquirer of Loyal Women For Sex and/or Marriage: ......
Problem: Should be a single word.

Collector of Loyal Women For Sex and/or Marriage: ....
Problem: Should be a single word.

Please help out of possible. I'm looking for a word used to describe a guy seeking a Harem. "That guy wants to find three women for sex and or marriage, he's a ......... "

EDIT: WORDS added from user posts below:

1. Harem Master <--- Sounds good, simple, to the point, and has a nice ring to it. Can it be changed into a single word somehow? by Diconica

2. Polygamist by fyl3toys
Problem: Doesn't acknowledge importance of loyalty, not sharing. Applies to both men and women.

3. Polygynist / Polygany: A man with two or more wives. by Diconica
Problem: Doesn't acknowledge the importance of loyalty, not sharing. Four syllables is a lot.

This is good progress. I wonder if there is a way to morph the above poly.... words into something that sounds like the word Harem? Maybe a two syllable word?

4. A Sultan - by woody554
Problem: This could work in a game based on the middle east perhaps. "The Sultan has a large Harem at his disposal." Sounds believable and immersive.

5. A Harem Seeker - Simple and to the point, I mean it was in my original post, but I never thought of using it. by
fooslock

Last edited:

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
I'm going to take a wild shot in the dark here. You got this idea in your head and didn't bother to actually research it much.

I say that because it depends on the culture you look at and if you are seriously just limiting it to one word or a term. It also would depend on the type of harem you are referring to.

Technically if all the women are wives then yes we have a single word. "Husband" or "Spouse"
We have terms in western culture such as Harem Master.

But maybe these women are less wives and more property and he prostitutes them out. Mac Daddy and Pimp would also work.

That doesn't even cover the terms and names other cultures have that actually practice polygamy. It sure as hell doesn't cover all the variations of harems.

arcaos

Game Developer
Sep 16, 2020
Man: “Hmmm, I think that guy over there is an MC.”
His wife: “So that’s why I’m so attracted to him and suddenly questioning our engagement.”
Man: “Darn MC’s….”

Sister 1: “Get out of my room, dork.”
Sister 2: “No wait, did you hear our brother is an MC now?”
Sister 1: “Oh, suddenly I feel like barely disguising my gushing desire for him.”

Mom: “Sweety, your dad just died. That makes you an MC now.”
MC: “Aww dang it, but I have so much homework to finish….”
Mom: “No but’s young man. Make like an MC and bend me over the kitchen counter.”

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Man: “Hmmm, I think that guy over there is an MC.”
His wife: “So that’s why I’m so attracted to him and suddenly questioning our engagement.”
Man: “Darn MC’s….”

Sister 1: “Get out of my room, dork.”
Sister 2: “No wait, did you hear our brother is an MC now?”
Sister 1: “Oh, suddenly I feel like barely disguising my gushing desire for him.”

Mom: “Sweety, your dad just died. That makes you an MC now.”
MC: “Aww dang it, but I have so much homework to finish….”
Mom: “No but’s young man. Make like an MC and bend me over the kitchen counter.”
MC (Master of Ceremonies) not really seeing what that has to do with harem.
Guess I am missing something.

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
Polygamist
This is pretty darn close.

Polygamist: a person who has more than one wife or husband at the same time.
Problem: The term applies to both men and women equally.

I need the word to clearly refer to males as the dominant alpha; patriarchy. Anyone here good with etymology? Is that the correct term? Root words and such? Can the word Polygamist be changed into an exclusively male term, that also includes a definition rooted in loyalty?

.......: "a male who has more than one wife at the same time, of which each wife is completely loyal to him; not having sexual relations with anyone else except their husband."

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
This is pretty darn close.

Polygamist: a person who has more than one wife or husband at the same time.
Problem: The term applies to both men and women equally.

I need the word to clearly refer to males as the dominant alpha; patriarchy. Anyone here good with etymology? Is that the correct term? Root words and such? Can the word Polygamist be changed into an exclusively male term, that also includes a definition rooted in loyalty?

.......: "a male who has more than one wife at the same time, of which each wife is completely loyal to him; not having sexual relations with anyone else except their husband."
Well Polyandry is when a woman has multiple husbands.
Polygyny is where a male has multiple wives.
Polygynist is a man with multiple wives.
Don't get those confused with polygamy they are different.

So to answer your question, yes.
There are these tools called dictionaries and thesaurus. They can be actually fairly useful.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: hakarlman

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
"Oh, look, it's that guy, he's a loser, he's trying to form a Harem."
I guess that's a way of looking at it.
What about the guy who successfully has a harem. Especially those who have women are willing members.
Are they losers also?

So why is it you don't try and have a harem?
Is it insecurity, such as you don't feel you could convince women to go along with it? ~ Granted making the assumption you are male.
Maybe, you know your limitations and one woman is it?
It could also be that you think it would be to much work?
I guess you could be one of those guys with a small libido and one woman is enough or all you can keep up with?
Maybe, it is religious or you just think you should follow society or the law where ever you live?
Maybe, you just never found more than one woman at a time interested in you or even at all?

Granted I could ask a lot more questions. I think it would be simpler for you to just state your reason why you are against it and so on. Maybe, you aren't and it was just meant to be funny.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Maybe, you aren't and it was just meant to be funny.
Mostly.

But I still believe it is no coincidence that most protagonists are losers and total pervs. Meanwhile in anime (made for girls) the guys are always depicted as the complete opposite of what harem mcs are.

Which implies there is a huge disparity between the type of guy that could actually attract and date multiple girls vs the guy that wants a harem.

Reactions: sonhot

whizwart

Apr 11, 2022
Harem is also a zooalogical term. A pride of lions is a harem of lions. "Forming a pride" sounds like a nicer way of saying Building a Harem. I think part of the problem is that usually males in a natural hatem arr called the Dominant Male, which obviously had a lot of overlap.

woody554

Jan 20, 2018
a sultan.

I've never really thought that harem tag was really used to describe an actual harem, but that all the women in the game are fuckable. when the tag is not present I assume some/all the girls are mutually exclusive.

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
You're moving the goalposts here. A harem can be mixed, or one female with many loyal males like a queen bee or a succubus mistress. Not to mention issues with trans, intersex and magical futa participants. It can also exist in non-patriarchal societies or with a submissive male lead who got roped into it like the typical clueless anime protagonist.

The term you seem to be looking for in your specific case is the one you already used: (pack) alpha or alpha male. The male dominance needs to be shown in the world order for the former but once established it's clear you're appealing to that order. For "seeking" specifically you'd add "alpha mindset/spirit" as a true alpha needs to actually succeed in order to earn the title.

Unlike "harem" and "poly-" it also serves as a warning to those looking for girl collect-a-thons which tend to simply ignore power dynamics.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
a sultan.

I've never really thought that harem tag was really used to describe an actual harem, but that all the women in the game are fuckable. when the tag is not present I assume some/all the girls are mutually exclusive.
Sultan just means strength, ruler ...
Has nothing to do with Harems other than some Sultans have had Harems but not all have or do.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Player: a confident, successful man with many sexual partners.
Problem: No emphasis on loyalty.
Player came from the fact they play the field. Player is rarely used to describe a man who is successful in any way shape or means.
If you check out rap or hip hop going on about playa you will see most the time it talks about them being without money...
Your definition matches googles informal.

You aren't going to find a single word in the English Language to describe what you want.
In German they use VielWeiberei
Viel = Many
Weib = wife
erei =

German's create words like gnomes create names. They just add what they want to it.
You could just add loyal in there Many Loyal Wives...
Vieltreuweiberei

We could also just apply some common sense. A wife being a woman you married should be loyal as a given.
Granted we all play games were they aren't always loyal. But this being a harem game they could become wives for a number of reasons.
You could have them as concubines till they show their loyalty. Granted that doesn't always fit the bill. If you marry her to keep peace between two kingdoms she may not have had a choice in the marriage. But for most cases you can pretty much assume the wives are.
Also if you can influence multiple attractive women to be with you and aren't using magic you would need a good confidence level to make that happen.
Basically, if you can achieve it the very fact you can proves you are the shit.
If you need magic or to enslave them then you might not be the shit.

Last edited:

Sphere42

Sep 9, 2018
Player came from the fact they play the field. Player is rarely used to describe a man who is successful in any way shape or means.
Why are you quoting ME with something OP said?!?

And my definition of "Player" does not include commanding loyalty, plus it could apply to a woman as well.

Diconica

Apr 25, 2020
Why are you quoting ME with something OP said?!?

And my definition of "Player" does not include commanding loyalty, plus it could apply to a woman as well.
OP added in the original post.
Not sure how or why the fuck it has you listed at top. All I did was quote him and delete the rest of the shit.
I'll fix it.