Daz char export problem

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hello,

small problem ( i hope).

I am trying to create my own characters and the idea is now, to export the character so all morphs are baked in. Meaning in the future these aren't loaded thus shorten loading times.
But when i am exporting from Daz and importing it back, the skin texture is always missing. I have a character with wax skin. Very shiny.
Is that intended that way? Because i am not sure if i need to select anything when exporting.

Thanks.

p..s. reading on DAZ this seems a touchy issue as you aren't allowed to back in things.

MidnightArrow

Aug 22, 2021
Don't do that.

Daz figures have thousands of morphs, sure. But dozens of them are JCMs that deform the character when it moves. If you re-import the figure as an Obj, you'd need to re-rig the skeleton and re-do all the JCMs.

If you're trying to import the baked figure as a morph for Genesis, then it still doesn't matter. Every single morph will be loaded anyway, you'll just be throwing one more onto the pile, and you'll still need to re-do the original character's JCMs so that they're applied when the figure is posed.

Reactions: Domiek

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Don't do that.

Daz figures have thousands of morphs, sure. But dozens of them are JCMs that deform the character when it moves. If you re-import the figure as an Obj, you'd need to re-rig the skeleton and re-do all the JCMs.

If you're trying to import the baked figure as a morph for Genesis, then it still doesn't matter. Every single morph will be loaded anyway, you'll just be throwing one more onto the pile, and you'll still need to re-do the original character's JCMs so that they're applied when the figure is posed.
You just destroyed my genius plan. :eek:

Well, i still don't know what happened to the texture.
But fair enough.
The idea was in essence to jump the character morphs. Not the poses.

On a side note. I reduced my morphs by a lot.
One problem i have seen is that i carried many morphs with me without purpose. It's the problem if you download for every action where you may think you need. Or body altering morphs. Over time this really slows things down.
So at the moment, i haven't really a speed problem but the more you add, well.

But anyway, sad that this isn't a way to do it.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
You just destroyed my genius plan. :eek:

Well, i still don't know what happened to the texture.
But fair enough.
The idea was in essence to jump the character morphs. Not the poses.

But anyway, sad that this isn't a way to do it.
What are you actually trying to achieve and in what medium, blender? If you want to create a custom morph you should be just importing the morph back into DAZ with morph loader pro, not the character.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
So i dropped that plan i had and instead mold the character in Blender.

One issue i face is the eyes. They are just white. Is that normal?

It seems rather easier to make a nice face in Blender than to move lots of sliders in DAZ.
For that i just export a barebone character without any eye lashes. This works fine.
But the re-import of that character seems to produce a problem with the eyes. I can't figure out what went wrong or if there is an easy solution to this.

I am not attempting to mold the body itself.

Thanks

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I am trying to create my own characters and the idea is now, to export the character so all morphs are baked in. Meaning in the future these aren't loaded thus shorten loading times.
Not sure if I understand well. (ain't gonna shorten loading time tho).

Open Daz
Load your model who use plenty of differents morphs
Remove everything except the base mesh (eyelashes etc)
Mesh resolution : Base
File Export > OBJ (Daz studio preset)

Load base model (g3/8/8.1/9) where your figure comes from
Edit>Figure>Morph loader pro>choose your exported OBJ file>ok
Apply your unique morph (parameter/morph loader/your_morph)
Edit>figure>rigging>Adjust rigging to shape... (should correct the joints if needed)

For textures save them first as material preset and re-apply them to the base model. Should be good for export, re-enable mesh high resolution if it's to use in Daz.

Last edited:
Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021

Open Daz

Edit>figure>rigging>Adjust rigging to shape... (should correct the joints if needed)

For textures save them first as material preset and re-apply them to the base model. Should be good for export, re-enable mesh high resolution if it's to use in Daz.
Thanks and sorry.

Just to show what happened to my figure. I will try to follow your steps but that what happened to my attempt earlier.

2022-10-19 20_14_14-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.jpg

Also the directional sphere is in the wrong place. Not sure if i can change that actually. One of the essential knowledge that i lag because i am not sure how to change that.

Anyway, i will try it again and see if i get it right this time.

Thanks

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021

Open Daz

After reading again, i catched these which i did not do when exporting.

So i have to redo it and see what happens.
The only reason i try to do it in Blender is the fact that shaping it like clay seems easier to accomplish what you can do with parameters.
I don't think i will make fabulous figures but at least have something unique (ugly or beauty) than just another pre-made figure that everyone knows.

Thanks for the steps.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021

Open Daz

That did work fabulous.

Now i just need to make a face i like.

2022-10-21 07_23_20-DAZ Studio 4.21 Pro.jpg

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
If you intend to use Daz assets & Cycles, you should take a look at , if you missed it for some reasons.
You know a lot.
Again, this is very useful.

I started to separate assets into different directories. Easy to purge or to turn on.
But morphs and poses are the biggest worrying items. Just for Z poses i have a dedicated folder.

This is a good read.

So far i did not go into adding anything beyond a character in Blender.
I am not too familiar with Blender yet but the more i use, well.... learning.

Anyway, yes, skin textures would help perhaps. Even clothing. So got to think about two programs now instead of one.

But to keep things separate is in my opinion always a good strategy.