Ren'Py Character tips/guide system for visual novel?

SPkiller31

Professional Degenerate
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2020
Hi,

I have no idea if this was already mentioned but I could not find right answer so thought about asking here.
My question is about working guide/tip system in visual novel that depends on where in-story player currently is. Something that could be seen in many titles: if player enters Character A information panel, he will see "Talk to character B first" to unlock next event and if not, he will be locked in common event/last event seen.

I have overall basic idea of flags so if event 1 is false, it will show first tip, then next etc. but despite trying I could not get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Hmm, it's not directly addressing your problem, but this how-to can give you some starting tips.

This being said, it's mostly a question of story flow. Of course you can build an event system for this, but it will mostly summarize to a bunch of tests ; "If this happened, then entering there mean going to that label".
The best way to handling this being to have a quest-like counter. Each time the player advance on the girl "quest line", you increase the counter, and it's it that will tell you what the next scene should be. Add some flags to handle the variations, and it works relatively well.

Do not start thinking that the girls walk by themselves. They can (should) have a life on their own, but as author you should be the one who decide when they are at a given moment. This make your game way easier to write, because you're left with basic tests ; "If the girl is available (not at works, not with a friend, etc.) and the quest line reached this point, then she's here if the player enter this place, and this thing will happen".

Reactions: SPkiller31

SPkiller31

Professional Degenerate
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2020
Hmm, it's not directly addressing your problem, but this how-to can give you some starting tips.

This being said, it's mostly a question of story flow. Of course you can build an event system for this, but it will mostly summarize to a bunch of tests ; "If this happened, then entering there mean going to that label".
The best way to handling this being to have a quest-like counter. Each time the player advance on the girl "quest line", you increase the counter, and it's it that will tell you what the next scene should be. Add some flags to handle the variations, and it works relatively well.

Do not start thinking that the girls walk by themselves. They can (should) have a life on their own, but as author you should be the one who decide when they are at a given moment. This make your game way easier to write, because you're left with basic tests ; "If the girl is available (not at works, not with a friend, etc.) and the quest line reached this point, then she's here if the player enter this place, and this thing will happen".

Hi, thank you for answer, did not know about "how to" thread so will definitly make use of that. I think that my problem is much more on "programming" side of game dev rather than design. I have already planned events, locations for characters and how they influence each other following mostly I think your way of quest-like events. I tried to keep things relatively simple and clean but also engaging from player perspective (Tried to avoid grind but also make player invested into the game). Ofcourse saying that as creator so difficult to stay objective. My problem is simply how to show those tips on character's screen. I never worked with text that is changing depending on story progression so I'm kinda lost in therms of implementation of that feature. I know about basics like if Test-chan points =>5 then new tips show's up to guide player, but showing tip itself is problematic. I was thinking about not doing this feature as story progression is somewhat logical and players should be able to figure out that but I know that many folks like to have optional tips instead of looking on forums or discord servers.

Nonetheless thanks a bunch for new thread to read and your time.