[R>Artist 3D] Share Closed

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Project:
I have 2 projects I am working on at the moment. The first is mostly done (programming/writing), art is approx 20% done. This project is currently on hold, as I hold out hope the artist I was working with gets a new video card and comes back to the project.

The 2nd project is the one I would like an artist for. The brief synopsis is as follows: MC is a ~18/19 yr old, fresh out of high school, who lives with a family friend. (No, this is not one of those "get around patreon incest" plots, his father, step-mother, and step-sister recently died in a house fire. His mother died of cancer almost 10 years earlier. He was already in high school at the time, so he moved in with a family friend Sarah (who he calls "Aunt Sarah", but no relation.) until he finished high school and was old enough to leave on his own. That time has come, so Sarah expect him to move out any day now).

One day he happens upon a mystic coin, which grants it's bearer the power to bend reality to his will. Where did the coin come from? How are these powers possible? What will he do with them?

The game is intended to be primarily a VN, with a decent level of autonomy. Not sandbox, but still a decent level of choice.

Developer:
Me. You.

Looking for:
3d Artist. Daz preferred. Also preferably capable of producing decent animations. Not necessary, but preferred.

Employment Type:
unpaid/share if the project does well. This is intended to be a hobby project, so please don't contact me if you expect to make money. (We all love money, but still).

Work commitment:
2-3 months for initial release, with potential to expand to 6mo-1yr for full completion.- more or less depending on how fast you want to work. Because it's currently unpaid, I'm not putting any time demands on anything, so we could discuss length/speed/etc further.

Preferred method of contact:
PMs work fine. noping#0684 on discord

Additional comments:
As stated, this is unpaid. If we actually get somewhere, I'll have patreon and that stuff set up, so any money that comes in gets split 50/50, but please don't join expecting anything. Join if you're an artist who loves creating, wouldn't mind putting together a game, and would benefit from someone else doing all the programming and writing. I'm trying to keep the script as tight as I can, but I would be surprised if the initial v0.1 release was less than 2-300 renders, so that's something to keep in mind. I'm busy learning how to use daz myself at the moment, but I expect it'll be quite a few months before I'm capable enough to try and put together a game by myself, so until that time comes I'll look for an artist to work with. Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Last edited:

Deleted member 609064

May 11, 2018
While you are trying to find someone, maybe you could write a script your story and when you do find someone, they can jump in much more quickly.

Here is an example of a script

And here is the produced comic (I know, not a game but the principle is the same)

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Way WAY ahead of you. I'm already doing that. Well, first im finishing up plotting the entire story. (I have the main story plotted, by I'm plotting each day now). once I've finished that, I'll be working on the actual script. once I finish that... who knows.

I'm not gonna just pause writing because I wanna wait for someone else. If I finish, then that just means I can work on other stuff so I have things in the pipeline.

Stubbornstain

Apr 15, 2020
In all that, I don't believe you have told us what the game(s) is/are about, just that you are developing visual novels. Which genres will they be? That will also help people decide on whether they want to assist. Where's the summary?

Could you sum it up in a few sentences rather than make people download a fifteen minute long demo?

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
Good demo script, i really like your writing, especially the dialogues. I have a couple of questions.

Is this supposed to be a complete demo? What i mean by that is, do you have any intent of finishing the story or it ends where it is now and move on to a main project?

I ask that mainly because there is a fair amount of locations and characters and those take a while to design, especially if you want to customize it so the locations/characters don't look the same as in any other game.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
To answer your question:

the demo is the prologue to a much much larger game, that for the time being, will go unfinished.

That one was one of the first stories I really put time and effort into. The majority of the story is already finished, at this point it just needs some fine tuning and polish, but I realized it has somewhere around 70 unique characters, and a massive amount of unique locations, which would take an insane amount of time to create. I decided that project was too ambitious for now, and put it on indefinite hold. It's something I'd like to return to eventually, I just don't know when. I'd personally consider it my "main project", just not one I'll work on anytime soon due to scope.

For the time being, I'm working on much smaller, less ambitious projects. For example, the one I'm writing now (mostly done with the main story, about ~25-30% done with the script), has as of now 12 characters, only 5 of which really require any sort of "uniqueness", the rest are mostly off to the side and less relevant.(I can think of 2 that could be direct copy/paste jobs and it wouldn't matter. Another 3 that, while they shouldn't just be default, are pretty ancillary, and 1 I'm not sure about yet) There's also.. off the top of my head without checking (So I might be missing some), 8 separate locations (or 13 if you consider things like separate rooms in a building to be different locations) but many of them are so generic (example, 1 is a coffee shop, 1 is a bathroom stall, 1 is a generic resturant), that any sort of "uniqueness" is pretty irrelevant.

So, yea. the short answer is, I'm aware how many characters and locations are in that first demo, and it's on hold for a while for that very reason - I realized how much time and resources it would take, so I'll get to it some day hopefully but not now. The other stories are intentionally smaller in scale for that exact reason.

Last edited:

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Just an irrelevant update: I've finished the script for the first 2 chapters (story-wise it seems like a decent break point, and would probably constitute a beta release point anyway - the entire thing looks to be approx 7-8), so if anyone is seriously interested, I may be willing to share some of that so you know exactly what you'd been working on.

A huge caveat to that though: it is, at this time, an extremely rough draft. I'm taking a writing break to teach myself how to code some of the trickier parts of what I want to do, so it'll be a bit before I go back and edit it and fix it all. (I already flagged a few sections for re-write, but that's another day). So it does not even closely represent the finished product, but is a rough idea of the introduction to the story.

Oh right. And if anyone knows any good resources for any cc0 otherwise usable music, let me know. I've been searching for a bit and found a number of suitable pieces, but it wouldn't hurt to have a larger selection to browse.

Reactions: SpikeGames

Ghostface Reborn

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2018
Just because I'm pretty sure my project is officially DOA now that the artist I was working with decided he didn't wanna do it anymore, I'll share what I had built (up to whatever art actually existed).

It's not very long - only about 5-10 minutes tops? Art runs out after that. I had a whole lot more written (and programmed), but no renders for any of that, so I just ended it at the last viable render I had available. It's also woefully unpolished, lots of things I had planned on improving slowly over time as renders were being done, but oh well.

If any artist does come around and wants to consider trying to rebuild/continue this project, Noping#0684 on discord since I won't check here much.
damn if i don't understand your pain.

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
damn if i don't understand your pain.
I do agree with this, but doing renders does take most of your free time, when you add a dated GPU to the equation it turns into a sanity check. I hate to admit it but i have only myself to blame for it, i sunk alot of time in this (2 weeks of no lifing) to get everything ready before rendering (locations, characters, clothes, poses, expressions) and 2~ weeks rendering, making a single render and making a full VN is completely different, i had to adapt everything that i've learned on the go. Also, don't forget that i'am leaving without anything, he still has his story and code.

Noping is a great dude, if you are looking to render his game, go for it, he knows how to write and it's a really easy person to work it.

Ghostface Reborn

Engaged Member
Sep 12, 2018
I do agree with this, but doing renders does take most of your free time, when you add a dated GPU to the equation it turns into a sanity check. I hate to admit it but i have only myself to blame for it, i sunk alot of time in this (2 weeks of no lifing) to get everything ready before rendering (locations, characters, clothes, poses, expressions) and 2~ weeks rendering, making a single render and making a full VN is completely different, i had to adapt everything that i've learned on the go. Also, don't forget that i'am leaving without anything, he still has his story and code.

Noping is a great dude, if you are looking to render his game, go for it, he knows how to write and it's a really easy person to work it.
I've been looking for an artist for my game for a year and a half. So far, I end up ghosted or abandoned.

Last edited:

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
Yea unfortunately it happens, but to be fair people who haven't done this before really do tend to lack an understanding of the work involved and the scope of it all, and it ends up being a lot more than anticipated. While it's definitely upsetting, its also somewhat understandable, which is why now I try to make sure anyone I might work with knows fully the actual scope of what needs to be done beforehand. It is a lot, and it does take time, and honestly sometimes it's tedious. You have to both be able to enjoy some of the process, and really look forward to the finished result to get through it.

That said, still looking.

linkinn

Apr 25, 2020
What really killed for me was having to do spotrenders to get a decent amount of renders while i should be posing. If i could pose and queue the scene to render we would still be working together. I don't really mind the number of renders, but the tought of spending a whole day doing spotrenders instead of posing or doing postwork is pretty demoralizing.

Maybe in the future if you haven't made a voodoo doll for me.

noping123

Game Developer
Jun 24, 2021
No worries. We're good.

Unfortunately he discovered his pc wasn't quite good enough to do multiple full renders in the quality he'd like, so it lead to a lot of frustration, I get it. With any luck he'll get a better PC soon and then if we don't work together in the future, he'll work with someone else. He's talented enough that anything he gets into will be quality.

That said, I am still looking for an artist for the time being.

Last edited: