Daz Tutorial Coherent and tidy daz library

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
This isn't much of a guide, as much as a showcase of how you can improve your daz library experience and how to fasten your workflow. Main reason for me to start this a while back was how some vendors placed their assets in different subfolders, especially environment assets being scattered between Environments, Props and Scenes. Second main issue for me was how bloated categories became, especially female clothing and poses. And last issue I had to tackle, once I bought a 4k monitor, orienting in the folders became somewhat hard, especially at night, with my eyesight not being as good anymore

So what I did.. was.. well a clean-up:
Daz lib 1.JPG
This is my DAZ library now. Two basic principles for this:
1) Anything in the My Library folder (C:\Users\[name]\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library folder (you might have it somewhere else, but the default location should be in documents on the disk you have Daz installed on.)) can go anywhere within this folder. - Exceptions are Data, Runtime and Uninstallers. Basically what doesn't show in your My Library in Daz.

2) Any PNG image 91*91 pixels size, which is in the same subfolder as the folder they share the name with, will be used as its icon. They are a bit too small for the text to be read, but what I used it for is basically color marking. This helps me tremendously at night, as the color is way easier for me to distinguish from each other, than the text.

Dividing and moving the folders is a bit tedious work, but once you do it, it's a real time-saver. The icons or color marking is optional, as not everyone has such problem with visibility.
What I did first is.. well.. deleted everything I don't use. Then I took out all unused figures from people subfolders and moved them into Unused subfolder, which I moved into the _Miscellaneous folder. The underscore is there to keep it alphabetically at top, since I don't want it in the middle. I also moved camera presets, scripts in there, as I rarely use those.
Next I rearranged the folders to make more sense, with how often I use them. Example: I made Poses folder in the root My Library folder, where I moved all my pose assets, as they are one of the most used assets I have and it wouldn't make much sense to keep them in the People - Figure - Poses. Rather than this I find way more convenient for my workflow to have them arranged like this:
Daz lib example poses.JPG
You can see that I also moved them and divided them into subfolders based on first the figure and second their use. This I find extremely useful when working on a scene, as I don't have to go through each vendor or pose pack to look for specific pose. Example _Pose base contains basic movement, lying, standing, kneeling poses. _Action contain fighting, shooting and such poses, etc.

I also did this with Environments and Clothing. Divided them by theme and assigned some icons for better visibility. As you can see, they are divided by theme, so I don't have to go through long-ass list of vendors, looking for a dress I like. I'll just go to the _Dresses subfolder and I see only dresses. For the environments I have them divided by theme and then their purpose, so I don't have all kitchens and bathrooms clunked up together within _Contemporary living. Obviously I also moved all environments from Props to these categories, as sometimes vendors categorize environment as a prop.

Daz lib example environments.JPG Daz lib example clothing.JPG

Another thing you can do is put a number in the beginning of the folder's name to arrange their order. For example by how often you use them. I did this in Light presets as I didn't really have the need to categorize them, since I don't have that many. My lights is the ones I use the most often, paper tiger's hdris I use second most often.. you get the gist.
Daz lib example numbers.JPG

And that's basically it. As long as you keep the Runtime and Data folders intact, everything will work without problems. Note that you'll have to install stuff manually, it's much simpler that way, rather than looking for the folder with .duf files afterwards and moving it. It will also make uninstalling the assets a bit more difficult. But for me that's just a small sacrifice for how much time this saved me.

The folder icon I used as base for the main folders:

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
Looks good, but does this mess with smart content? I like using that too :unsure:
Not necessarily. If you go to smart content and right click any file and click browse to file location, you'll see where it is saved in my library (probably Scenes - subcategory). Either don't do anything with those folders (except add icon, you can do that freely) or if you move it, the scene will show as missing in smart content, but only until you open it from "My Library" and save again, then it will reappear in smart content as usually. Example: you move scene you have saved from the Scenes subfolder into let's say environments. It will then show missing in smart content and you won't be able to open it from there, the file missing will pop up. If you then go to my library - wherever you moved the file, open it from there and save it again, it should reappear in smart content as not missing and you should be able to open it from there again.

Reactions: Gallant Trombe

Gallant Trombe

Game Developer
Mar 19, 2021
:unsure: I might give it a try... when I can be bothered :eek: Thanks for the post though, I do need to organize my library...

drconfused

Mar 30, 2022
Looks good, but does this mess with smart content? I like using that too :unsure:
I believe all you would have to do is after organizing your files right click on the Content Library tab and select Content DB Maintenance.
screenshot.429.png
Then choose Re-Import Metadata...
screenshot.430.png
I kept everything checked and it's worked for me so far but I have not extensively tested it as of yet, just tested on moving the SoulessEmpathy folder from Scenes to Architecture and then did the Re-Import and the Smart Content recognizes where it is at. Doing this with everything checked can take a few minutes depending on how big your library is.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
I believe all you would have to do is after organizing your files right click on the Content Library tab and select Content DB Maintenance.
View attachment 2137919
Then choose Re-Import Metadata...
View attachment 2137921
I kept everything checked and it's worked for me so far but I have not extensively tested it as of yet, just tested on moving the SoulessEmpathy folder from Scenes to Architecture and then did the Re-Import and the Smart Content recognizes where it is at. Doing this with everything checked can take a few minutes depending on how big your library is.
If you move items into separate sub-directories, for example moving some clothing into their own subdirectories, it does mess with Smart Content, because Smart Content does not actually read the directory structure, it reads the data file found in the Runtime\Support subdirectory. It that file is not changed, Smart Content will not find anything and when you reimport metadata check your log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File...) afterwards, you will see a ton of errors all listing the files you moved as missing assets.

If you are going to rearrange any of the file locations you really need to edit the metadata before installing to indicate where you are going to put the files. This only applies to DAZ Store stuff as all the other stores for DAZ content will not usually include the metadata (with very few exceptions). The metadata is in a file that ends in .dsx

Here is an example
Let's say you want to fix the spelling error in Niekdian's Essential Glasses (He apparently can't spell Accessories). Here is a snippet from the .dsx file:

Code:
<ContentDBInstall VERSION="1.0">
<Products>
  <Product VALUE="Essential Glasses">
   <StoreID VALUE="DAZ 3D"/>
   <GlobalID VALUE="4d3e8f38-0f68-4845-8525-fc5d5c94461b"/>
   <ProductToken VALUE="85200"/>
   <Artists>
    <Artist VALUE="Neikdian"/>
   </Artists>
   <Assets>
    <Asset VALUE="People/Genesis 8 Female/Accesories/Essential Glasses/EG Aviator.duf">
     <ContentType VALUE="Follower/Accessory/Head/Eye"/>
     <Audience VALUE="Teens"/>
     <Categories>
      <Category VALUE="/Default/Accessories/Head/Eyes"/>
     </Categories>
     <Compatibilities>
      <Compatibility VALUE="/Genesis 8/Female"/>
      <Compatibility VALUE="/Genesis 3/Female"/>
      <Compatibility VALUE="/Genesis 8.1/Female"/>
     </Compatibilities>
     <CompatibilityBase VALUE="/Essential Glasses/Aviator"/>
     <Userwords>
      <Userword VALUE=""/>
     </Userwords>
    </Asset>
So not only do I want to move his stuff after installing it to Accessories instead of Accesories I also want to put it in a Neikdian sub-folder within Accessories.

I would have to change the following line(s) or else it will be reported as a missing asset

<Asset VALUE="People/Genesis 8 Female/Accesories/Essential Glasses/EG Aviator.duf">
to
<Asset VALUE="People/Genesis 8 Female/Accessories/Neikdian/Essential Glasses/EG Aviator.duf">

Then there is a bit more to change, as any support items, such as the icon files are also listed in this metadata near the end

Code:
   <SupportAssets VALUE="/Runtime/Support/DAZ_3D_85200_Essential_Glasses.dsx">
    <SupportAsset VALUE="/People/Genesis 8 Female/Accesories/Essential Glasses/EG Aviator.duf.png"/>
    <SupportAsset VALUE="/People/Genesis 8 Female/Accesories/Essential Glasses/EG Heart Style.duf.png"/>
... snipped
    <SupportAsset VALUE="/data/Neikdian/Essential Glasses/Aviator/Aviator.dsf"/>
    <SupportAsset VALUE="/data/Neikdian/Essential Glasses/Aviator/UV Sets/Neikdian/Base/default.dsf"/>
... snipped
   </SupportAssets>
You see here the .duf.png needs to be changed from

<SupportAsset VALUE="/People/Genesis 8 Female/Accesories/Essential Glasses/EG Aviator.duf.png"/>
to
<SupportAsset VALUE="/People/Genesis 8 Female/Accessories/Neikdian/Essential Glasses/EG Aviator.duf.png"/>

If you do not make these changes then Smart Content doesn't actually know where the files are. Smart Content is basically kind of dumb, as it needs to be told where things are and does not find anything by itself.

An invaluable tool in making these changes before installing is . I drop almost every package that has Smart Content data into it before installing in my DAZ library, that way I can have for example; all of Barbara Brundon's clothing assets in \Clothing\Barbara Brundon\... as opposed to just dumping them in \Clothing. And I edit the \Runtime\Suppport\{name of asset}.dsx file with all the correct file locations. Then Smart Content works like it is supposed to.

You could also edit it after the fact. The easiest way I found is to load the DAZ log file into a text editor, easiest way to find the log is to start DAZ and use the menus Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File... and then select all the text and delete it, then save the log file back. Without doing anything else in DAZ, right click on the Content Library tab title and select Content DB Maintenance>Re-Import Metadata... When that process completes, look at the log again and you will see it lists every asset that DAZ has no idea where you put them and go and fix the subsequent .dsx files that are in your library in the \Runtime\Support folder. After you have completed editing all the .dsx files, you will need to do the Re-Import Metadata... again. this will tell Smart Content the new locations of the files and will work as you expect it to work.

I am not trying to say which method is more correct, just highlighting how I arrange my asset library and how I reconcile my Smart Content data to match my library organization.

Last edited:

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
One other note, Most of the new Genesis 9 stuff appears to be in what I would call, proper sub-directories. With the exception so far of Barbara Brundon who still just dumps her stuff in the base \Clothing sub-directory.