Others Comic templates and speech balloons?

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Hi Mates,

Currently, I am developing comics as a side thing for Patreon but as I don't have much experience with creating comics, I am having a bit of a hard time creating the comics vibe look in terms of a template (structure on page) and as well as having resources for speech bubbles. For speech bubbles, I've tried some brushes and/or layers but nothing did hit the target. The question is, is there a repository or are the resources available somewhere, so I can use them or at least have an idea of how to make them?
I am using Photoshop for putting together the comics.

Thanks!

Reactions: Saint Blackmoor

Saint Blackmoor

Saint and Sinner
Donor
Oct 26, 2017
The Rise of Himiko. Has good speech balloons that fit the style of the comic.

I'm an old comic hound from the 70s-90s, and a well-known writer is Alan Moore. I'm sure you've heard of him. Watchmen, League of extraordinary gentlemen, V for Vendetta, etc.

One of his comics that does not get public recognition is Miracleman. Many comic nerds, and I think it's one of his best. It would make an amazing movie or even an AVN. Sandman is another comic where Neil Gaiman goes crazy with the speech bubble and visual dialogue. Both of these writers make use of that technique very well.

Neil Gaiman is a protege of Moore's. Or at least a huge influence on him.

I say "visual dialogue" because what you see is altered from the normal basic font structure to actually adding to the story by using colors and expressive fonts. It's nothing new, but it's not used much, either.

The use of different fonts and colors for some characters conveys more than just what they are saying. I am sure you can find his stuff online now. I really don't have a solution for the actual speech bubbles. But older comics are a goldmine for ideas.

I hope this helps a little.

x_309

Nov 15, 2020
Hey, I happen to be working on a comic-style game at the moment so I've been looking into this kind of stuff quite a bit. Here is a and this is a for speech balloons and other text elements. These are for western style comics, so your desired aesthetic may be different. Either way, the best way to learn is just to read (or just skim over the art, no need to actually read) lots of comics.

As for actually drawing the balloons, Photoshop comes with lots of shapes for this or you can find them online. Go to the custom shape tool and look for 'talk bubbles.' If you have a newer version of Photoshop you'll have to enable them from the shapes panel under "legacy shapes."
1688497831962.png

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Hey, I happen to be working on a comic-style game at the moment so I've been looking into this kind of stuff quite a bit. Here is a and this is a for speech balloons and other text elements. These are for western style comics, so your desired aesthetic may be different. Either way, the best way to learn is just to read (or just skim over the art, no need to actually read) lots of comics.

As for actually drawing the balloons, Photoshop comes with lots of shapes for this or you can find them online. Go to the custom shape tool and look for 'talk bubbles.' If you have a newer version of Photoshop you'll have to enable them from the shapes panel under "legacy shapes."
View attachment 2744855
Hi,

Thank you for this!