Computer system recommendations

PMNL

Jan 14, 2018
@SciGuy, like @uradamus stated my biggest concern I have with that Newegg system would be the PSU as that's where vendors tend to try and save a couple of bucks. RAM and motherboards are usually of lesser quality (cheap capacitors, weird PCI-e lane connections) as well - especially when compared to the ROG Maximus you selected - but overall everything should work just fine.

As far as the maximum of 8 GB of RAM you mention in your post, I'm 99.9% positive the mentioned RAM is the installed RAM only, and not the boards maximum capacity. Even Mini-ITX boards with the AMD B350 chipset offer at least 2 DIM slots, and since each slot is supposed to support a 16 GB Dimm according to international standards, I'm sure they've either opted with two 4 GB modules, or a single 8 GB one and left a couple of slots empty. Nothing wrong with double checking though, but I'm sure that's the case.

Now to compare hand-picking or buying a pre-build system: Since vendors don't list the exact components installed in these kinds of systems it's impossible to make a 1:1 comparison, but If I were to use my own Excel sheet combined with the work you did on it yourself, I'd end up with a similar price when selecting the cheapest parts:
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 1700 : $ 229.29
  • GPU : Asus ROG Strix GTX1060 O6G Gaming: $ 322.99
  • PSU : Corsair VS550 : $ 39.99
  • Motherboard : MSI B350 PC Mate : $ 82.83
This totals out at $ 675.10, which leaves around $ 400.00 for:
  • RAM (~ $ 160.00);
  • 120 GB SSD (~ $ 40);
  • 1 TB HDD (~ $ 60);
  • Case (~ $ 50);
  • Peripherals (~ $ 40);
  • Windows 10 licence (~ $ 30)
This would then come in at around $ 1,055.00 which almost matches what Newegg is charging, except I'm able to squeeze in 16 GB of DDR4 instead of the Battlebox's 8 GB, or I could decide to go with 8 GB of system RAM for now and upgrade the 1060 6GB to a 1070 TI 8 GB, which not only makes more sense ($ 80 for an additional 8GB Dimm in a couple of months might be easier to acquire than another $ 500 for a brand new 1070 TI, although you could at that point sell your 1060 and make up for some of the price difference), but it would end up costing pretty much the same. and that's exactly where one of the major (if not the biggest) advantages of building a system yourself lies.

Another major advantage in building your custom system is that you'll know exactly what parts have been used and that those parts are from respected manufacturers. Now by no means will the Battlebox fry on you on your first render (and even if it does the should be something called "warranty") but like uradamus said, it does happen when users overload their pre-configured systems since these are designed for your average Joe.

Again, this is usually due to the fact that they skimp out on important parts like the PSU and/or motherboard which makes perfect sense to me. Imagine all the costs that go into selling such a system (buying/installing components, paying staff, taxes and housing, offering warranty etc.), all for about $ 100 worth of profit (assuming 8 GB of ram costs ~ $ 80)...

My final point as far as comparing these systems goes, would be future expansion of the system. Since you don't know the exact components used inside the Battlebox, it might be a lot harder if not impossible to upgrade or add components in the future. As mentioned earlier I already had to do some guessing on the RAM configuration, but imagine wanting to add some additional fans to keep your system cooler or make it run quieter. Is there any room on the motherboard for additional fans or would you have to install a fan splitter? What about adding a capture card for capturing your Xbox/PS4 gameplay? are there sufficient PCI-e slots and if so, at what speed do they run?

If all that's holding you back from going full custom is the fact that you'd have to reinstall Windows, keep in mind that not only hardware, but software as well has come a long way since the late 90s/early 00s. With USB 3.0/3.1, insanely fast SSD's or NVME drives as well as increased internet speeds, reinstalling your PC and software shouldn't be a 5 day job anymore. I recently did exactly that on my laptop, and I was back up and running within half a day.

Now to round things up since I'm rambling on and on again, while the Battlebox should run perfectly fine I'd rather buy that case of beer and have some fun building my system since that would be the only way I would be 100% able to tell that things are exactly the way I like them to be. Not only would this guarantee me quality components have been used but I'll be 100% sure both the case as well as the motherboard contain all the I/O ports and slots I could possibly need, both now as well as in the future. Going full custom might lead to a little less beefy system spec-wise (the Ryzen 7 will definitely run circles around the selected i5), but you'll have (relative) certainty that the system runs smooth now and in the future.

-----

One (somewhat unrelated) point I'd like to make concerning @uradamus statement as far as GPU overdraw goes, a decent 500/550 Watt PSU should be more than enough for running mid/high range GPU's, since these PSU's can actually deliver the advertised Watts at a constant rate. While it's true that GPU's can overdraw a little compared to their max specified power draws, it shouldn't be an issue if you've chosen an adequate and quality type PSU. did a test back in 2015 where they measured the power draw of a reference GTX 1060, and under full load and maximum stress testing it pulled 122 W, where NVIDIA it's maximum power draw is 120 W. This means that during stress testing it had 1,7% overdraw, which is negligible and might even be the result of environmental changes during tests. Moreover, NVIDIA actually tells you to buy at least a 400 W PSU. While this 400 W to me feels like it's way off (I'd say something in the 300 W region would be more than enough), they do this because they know subpar PSU's are being sold, and not all 300W PSU's actually deliver this wattage at a constant rate.

Another example, take a look at the page. NVIDIA says it's maximum power draw is 250W. Why on earth would one need more than double that amount of power under normal circumstances? If you pare this reference 1080 TI with a core i7-8700k (160W max. under load) you'd still have 90 Watts to spare for the rest of your system, which is nearly 20% if you're using a 500 W PSU. So unless you're going core i9 (230 W) or Intel Extreme (2066 socket), or to lesser extend Ryzen Threadripper (180 W) I don't see any reason why 500 - 550W shouldn't be enough.

This obviously only works out if you're using a decent PSU, as well as regular components. If you're going balls to the wall with dual GPU's, a triple loop CPU/GPU custom water-cooling setup, 12 case fans and all sorts of meters or splitters you'll obviously need more power, but that's not your average Joe.

A second point I'd like to address - since you're pulling 80 plus certification into the mix - is that I'm guessing you - like many others - are under the impression that the 80 plus certification tells you anything about power delivery to the system, which it does not. The 80 plus rating is only designed to measure energy efficiency at 20, 50 and 100% load, meaning what % of AC wall power is converted to DC power your PC needs.

A lower 80 plus certification doesn't mean the unit won't be able to deliver it's advertised wattage to the system, it will however pull more power from the wall in order to deliver the required amount to your PC.

To clarify, a 500 Watt PSU (assuming it's decent) will deliver 500 Watts of power to your system. However, if it's less efficient it might need to pull (extremely exaggerated) 600 W from the wall in order to deliver said 500 Watts to your system. The additional 100 Watts of power drawn will be lost converting AC to DC power. However, since the first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be "lost", this energy has to be converted into something else. In this case, heat, hence the PSU is less efficient and this is the primary reason why PSU's need a fan to dissipate this heat.

If a PSU was 100% efficient, all incoming power would be converted to outgoing power, leaving no room for energy to be converted ("lost") into heat (again, first law of thermodynamics), thus eliminating the need for a fan.

Final note: The above obviously isn't mend to be any kind of bashing but rather be a piece of info. There are way too many people who kind of know what they're doing, but by unintentionally sharing only half the truth (due to their lack of knowledge) pushes people they're trying to help into buying stuff they'll never need.

Reactions: uradamus

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
@PMNL - I mostly only brought up the 80 plus as a point of quality, you generally don't see cheap trash PSUs with high efficiency ratings, so you are more likely to be getting a higher quality product made with more reliable parts as a welcome bonus to their pursuit of efficiency. I wasn't sure about GPU variability in power usage, but included it among the things I said should be checked because it will obviously be the thing using the largest chunk of the power being consumed.

The CPU side though is where you will see a lot bigger discrepancies in listed and actual power use under load, especially if any overclocking is going on and a lot of mobo's today will often tend to overclock CPUs a bit with their stock settings, it won't usually be anything too drastic but it is something to be aware of. If he would want to intentionally overclock down the line and/or upgrade to higher power parts including possibly a more powerful cooling solution they can add up pretty quick.

Also keep in mind I just said to double check that the 500-550w would be enough, not that it wouldn't be. Both GPUs and CPUs have gotten a lot more modest in their power requirements than they were when I last got caught up into building a system some years back. I haven't looked into the fine detail of actual numbers on current gen components yet, which is why I say it's always better being safe than sorry when it comes to double checking before buying.

Reactions: PMNL

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
I find this site really useful when comparing parts and finding the cheapest price:

It also has an option to choose from several different countries.

Reactions: SciGuy

PMNL

Jan 14, 2018
@uradamus I didn't mean to make it seem like you claimed 500W wouldn't be enough for this system, but after your elaboration on the matter I've come to the conclusion that I might've misinterpreted some points here and there.

Glad though we can agree that doubling checking things is always a good thing!

Reactions: uradamus

SciGuy

May 8, 2018
Man - so many choices!
I'll let everyone in on a secret I learned from a master electrician while we were working on a servomotor with homing issues. Getting impatient, we tried to force the reset by taking shortcuts we weren't sure about. A little puff of blue smoke rose from the board and the motor went dead.
That's the day I learned electronics run on smoke. Once ya let the smoke out they don't work any more. By the way, it was a pretty big servomotor with a much bigger price tag. Good thing WE didn't have to pay for the damn thing!
I'm gonna use the experience from that day right now.
First, I'm going to get a power supply I'll never have to worry about. The hell with dancing on the line with the ratings. It's stupid to try and save $50 when protecting a 'puter that costs well over a grand. A bad-ass power supply goes on top of the NEED list.
I will NOT let the smoke out of this thing!

The second lesson I'm gonna exercise is patience. I've been trying to cut corners here and there so I can get this thing up and running ASAP. I'm gonna go buy that case of wheat beer and take a deep breath. When the funds hit my account I'm gonna buy the components a few at a time.
I'll start with these:
MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB DUKE Video Card____$444.99 Newegg
Asus Republic Of Gamers Z170 MAXIMUS VIII HERO__$149.00 NewEgg
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified
Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply_________________$79.99 Amazon
It may take a few weeks, but I'll end up with a dream machine.
I've got more than enough to keep me busy on my core 2 duo anyway. My game is set in the 2080's, so I'm replacing cell phones with a futuristic heads-up display. I started learning how to code a week ago - this may take a while! I've got the basics of a phone that works right now in renpy, but it LOOKS like a cell phone. I can re-work it's appearance with transparent png's in Paintshop Pro.
My HUD works as a separate game right now, and that's ALL it does. I've gotta figure out how to split it up into subroutines and make it something I can access from within the main game's GUI.
Baby steps I guess ---

Oct 14, 2017
A few comments:

1. 120GB SSD isn't a good idea, they just get filled so fast you wouldn't believe. Until a year ago I was on a 240GB SSD and all I could fit on it was windows, photoshop, 3ds max, visual studio and 1 game pretty much. Now sure, in theory if you carefully manage the drive you can fit more but its just too annoying going over every single folder on that drive every few months to find those misplaced 20GB. Got a 1TB SSD now and now I can fit all my executables on it with room to spare, SSD only has a point if you can use it.

2. Maybe divert some funds from that CPU towards GPU. High end CPU's are really only worth it if you do oldschool 3d renderings but even that is dying out, every decent 3d creation tool has a GPU rendered available these days and they are much quicker. An 8GB RX580 should fit you nicely, its pretty much on the same level as a GTX1070 in non-commercial stuff. By that I mean nvidia focuses heavily on pressuring studios and optimizing for big titles which inflates their performance there but for everything else, like say homemade games, amd generally provides better value.

uradamus

Jan 4, 2018
@hazarada - You clearly haven't bothered to read through the whole thread. AMD GPUs are out as iRay is developed on Nvidia tech and relies on CUDA for GPU rendering. Many other renderers are also based on CUDA and even when some of them do support OpenCL, they often don't have the same performance level and often have some restrictions that aren't there when running a card with CUDA support, such is the case with Blender's Cycles for instance.

On a separate note, you are very misguided if you really think CPU rendering is going away any time soon, especially at the professional level. There are many times where VRAM is no where near big enough to fit a scene, in which case you have no other option but to rely on CPU rendering which has access to insanely larger pools of RAM and traditionally it's been far easier to spread a render workload over a large number of CPUs than it is with GPUs. Even now that hybrid rendering systems are coming out that can take advantage of multiple GPUs, they continue to make use of CPUs and system RAM at the same time for the same jobs, making both important for those looking to get the most out of their rendering farms. That's probably where a good chunk of those crazy 18 core i9 CPUs end up, in big movie render farms.

Reactions: PMNL

SciGuy

May 8, 2018
I'm still gonna get that SSD drive. 120 GB should be more than sufficient, so the 240 GB is going in the damn thing. It isn't going to be the only HD in the system anyway. I was surprised at how much both types of HDD's have come down in price. the SSD will be the boot drive, and hold the apps I run the most.
All the extras like DAZ DLC can live on a Barracuda internal HDD. This rig has one job ONLY - rendering KILLER graphics.
I bitch and whine about my current system, but for day to day use it's perfectly fine. I download all my TV through a site called Torrentday. I've been with them for a decade and haven't had a cable bill in all that time! I have 2 invites if anyone's interested. Not sure how those work tho - I've never used one.
Since I'm taking my time to put the new rig together, I'll get 32 Gigs of RAM right off the bat. It sounds really excessive to me, but ya never know. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
I've gotta thank everyone AGAIN that have replied to this thread. I know I would have rushed out and bought a system I'd been unhappy with, but stuck because of all the $$$ I'd spent.
That Excel doc was over the freakin' TOP PMNL!
I begrudgingly followed up on it, mostly because you put so much work into it. It fired up the long-dead passion for building high-end systems (within reason anyway - I could easily spend $7k on TRUE top end stuff) and that's where I'm now headed. $2k is the final target now. I can at least get up and running for about half of that.
One final question before I place my 1st order. Mu target is 32 Gigs, but I want to keep the option open to expand to the full 64. Will the damn thing run on a single 16 Gig stick? The answer was NO several years ago.
I've lived through many changes in memory over the years though. The old timers out there may remember the days when there was 256k of reserved memory set aside for Microsoft's pre-Windows OS! That was a MASSIVE amt of memory back then, and the designers believed we'd NEVER need more than that.
Time moves ever forward.

PMNL

Jan 14, 2018
Hehe glad to hear you've found that passion again and that my spreadsheet helped you find it (or should I be sorry :p). Anyway, make sure to give me a shout if something else pops up.

As far as your question with RAM goes, I don't see why using a single stick of RAM wouldn't work, except for the fact that - since you're using a single stick - by default you're not using dual/triple channel optimization but it should work just fine in single channel.

In fact, ideally you should start building your system outside it's case using only a single RAM stick to test if all components work before you chuck everything into the case and can't reach half the parts.

One thing I "need" to point out about using a single stick though, is that ideally kits and sticks shouldn't be mixed or added later. E.G. you either get 4 x 16 GB at once, or buy a single stick now, and swap that out later for a full kit.

Now those are the official manufacturer guidelines, but I've personally never heard about anyone having any issues by adding a second, third or fourth DIMM to their system later on. Even when said stick was from a different brand all together, so I'd say just go for it if 64 GB is what you want. At least until these ridiculously over-inflated RAM prices come down to acceptable levels again.

Oct 14, 2017
@hazaradaAMD GPUs are out as iRay is developed on Nvidia tech and relies on CUDA for GPU rendering.
That's hardly surprising since iray is developed by nvidia :p vray is available for all the same platforms and more though and is perfectly happy with opencl and is pretty much the industry standard anyways ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On a separate note, you are very misguided if you really think CPU rendering is going away any time soon
Well.. it is going though, IMO its better to get familiarized with the way of the future rather than willingly jump into the same boat with companies that have old asset bases that are too expensive to redevelop.