RPGM Copyright question from a old 2d game

BitaWT

Jan 19, 2018
Hello everybody, i have a little question as i said in the tittle, will be some problems if i use tileset from old Naruto games?

Im making a game and want to make money of it, since i dont know much about law i dont want to make a bad move.

Other question, What if I want to make my own tile similar to the copyrighted one?

If someone can help me will be very helpful!

rayminator

Engaged Member
Respected User
Sep 26, 2018
here some good suggestions

if you need to ask something about any type of law then go talk to a lawyer
if you don't want get into trouble buy the assets if they are still in the store if not then you are out of luck

we are not your lawyer
this forum is not law firm to help you to learn about your laws
this is a international forum we can say something about our laws but where you live might be something different

there are:

local laws city/town/states/etc
country laws
international laws

Last edited:
Reactions: GNVE

GNVE

Jul 20, 2018
Will you get into trouble for using the tile set? unknown but probably not. Will you open yourself up to a potential lawsuit? well yes. The game is most definitely in copyright. (There are no games where copyright has already expired in any jurisdiction). Especially if you want to make money on the game I would advise against using other peoples work. If you get sued this will not help your case.

Making a tile set inspired by the game is more likely to be possible. I don't know enough about the law to tell you how distinct it needs to be for it to be legal. as Rayminator said you'd need to seek legal advice from a lawyer in your own country.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
I'm not a lawyer, but globally:

as Rayminator said you'd need to seek legal advice from a lawyer in your own country.
That will tell him nothing, what he need to know is the law that apply for the rights owner.

The "apply in the jurisdiction of", and similar, that you can found in licenses tell you where the trial will happen, and generally it's the country (when not county/district/whatever) where the rights owner HQ is located. But if the said rights owner have a representative (branch office, subsidiary company, distributor) in your country he can possibly sue you there, because he have more chance to see the sentence be applied.

If he sue you in his country, depending what country it is, you can be sentenced in your absence and in the absence of any representative/lawyer ; and of course the sentence will generally be harder. Then, depending of the conventions, or lack of, between his country and yours, either nothing happen (just never put a foot in his country, because you'll be arrested until the sentence is fulfilled), the sentence will be applied in your country, or you'll be judged again in your country to decide if the sentence should be applied or not.
Of course, you can decide to be present at the trial, this would show your good faith and can make you avoid a sentence, but... you'll have to either found a lawyer that speak your language or pay for an interpreter when you talk with him, and pay for the travel and for all the expenses during your stay in the country. Not necessarily cheaper.

Reactions: GNVE

JoGio

Jun 19, 2018
You will get in trouble if you use someone else's assets without permission. .

If you create an asset from scratch without tracing over another person's work, copy/pasting then you're usually ok. This assumes your designs are distinguishable from the original designs your work is inspired by.