Could this be a possible workaround for Patreon's restrictive rules?

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
@DarthSeduction

See, this is what I was thinking; an adaptive code that corresponds to certain triggers. Of course, I don't know Ren'py coding and therefore don't know if it's possible or the potential complexity of implementing it, but I used to make Flash games many years ago and some included adaptive code that allowed the dialogue to correspond to user input names and choices. It's been awhile since I did those games (I made them in college) so I don't remember the exact code used, but I basically set up different code references that would refer to certain characters and objects in specific ways and then applied those to certain characters so the dialogue made sense.

To use Summertime Saga as an example, there could be several different references for Debbie/the Mom (bearing in mind I don't know how Ren'py coding is written, this is just how I could imagine it in a basic sense);
  • Deb = Name of the character either input by the player or the default name.
    • E.g. "Mrs Johnson: Hey [Deb], how are you?" = "Mrs Johnson: Hey Debbie/Jane/Holly, how are you?"
  • DebR = The relationship of this character to the MC.
    • E.g. landlady, foster mom, Dad's friend, etc.
  • DebR2 = A specific relationship of this character to the MC that is input by the player which overwrites the DebR reltaionship, i.e. Mom [D1], Mother [D2], Mum [D3].
    • E.g. "my ([DebR] or [DebR2] if [DebR] = (D1), (D2), or (D3))= "my landlady/Mom."
    • E.g. "our ([DebR] or [DebR2] if [DebR] = (D1), (D2), or (D3))" = "our landlady/Mom".
    • E.g. "your ([DebR] or [DebR2] if [DebR] = (D1), (D2), or (D3))" = "your landlady/Mom".
    • E.g. "their ([DebR] or [DebR2] if [DebR] = (D1), (D2), or (D3))" = "their landlady/Mom".
    • E.g. "his ([DebR] or [DebR2] if [DebR] = (D1), (D2), or (D3))" = "his landlady/Mom".
    • E.g. "MC: I love showering with you ([Deb] or [DebR2] if [DebR] = (D1), (D2), or (D3)) = "MC: I love showering with you Debbie/Mom."
  • DebMy = Inserts the word "my" for parts of the dialogue where it needs to precede the relationship if the DebR2 condition has been met for the dialogue to sound more natural.
    • E.g. "MC: I can't believe that ([Deb] or [DebMy] [DebR2] if [DebR] = (D1), (D2), or (D3)) just did that!" = "MC: I can't believe that Debbie/my Mom just did that!"
I realise this is a very complex idea (and I realised it even more when I started typing this because I clearly hadn't thought it through, lol) especially since the same sort of thing would have to be applied to Jenny, Diane, and to Mrs Johnson and Eric, but if this were possible it still, in my mind, could perhaps better allow for the dialogue to still make sense and have a good flow to it without having to dumb it down and make it more simplistic and basic like some other games out there.

Also, it could maybe be made optional, as in when playing the game there could be 2 options to play; a "Regular Version" and a "Fantasy Version". The Regular one would of course be the one without an adaptive script/storyline and the Fantasy one would be, thus allowing people who don't want to enter specific relationships to not have to as there would a version of the game that is pre-set.

P.S. Again, I don't know Ren'py coding so this whole thread is probably just me talking out of my ass because I'm still bitter about the rule changes.
What you're talking about is definitely possible, Ren'Py just uses python for the most part, and python is versatile enough to do this.

What this doesn't solve is the problem of the story not making sense outside of the perfect context. If you input landlady and she says:

M "Why is it that every time I see MC I start to feel the need to scratch an itch in my pussy? He's my Tenant! I shouldn't be thinking of him in this way."
Why should she care what she thinks of her tenant? Is there something wrong with a landlord having sex with her tenant? Why?

The only way I can see that this would actually work is if you created multiple versions of every scene. But the titles given to other characters create an infinite number of variables, eventually you'd be forced to make at least a large portion of responses come out to a single generic version of the script. The question then becomes, how to you keep the incest ones from being routed to the generic script while not defining them in a way that Patreon would have a problem with?

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
What you're talking about is definitely possible, Ren'Py just uses python for the most part, and python is versatile enough to do this.

What this doesn't solve is the problem of the story not making sense outside of the perfect context. If you input landlady and she says:

M "Why is it that every time I see MC I start to feel the need to scratch an itch in my pussy? He's my Tenant! I shouldn't be thinking of him in this way."
Why should she care what she thinks of her tenant? Is there something wrong with a landlord having sex with her tenant? Why?

The only way I can see that this would actually work is if you created multiple versions of every scene. But the titles given to other characters create an infinite number of variables, eventually you'd be forced to make at least a large portion of responses come out to a single generic version of the script. The question then becomes, how to you keep the incest ones from being routed to the generic script while not defining them in a way that Patreon would have a problem with?
I suppose you could look at as though, being a landlady, she feels that she needs to maintain a business relationship with her tenants and that having a sexual relationship with any of them would be, in her mind, crossing a line. But I do get your point, and when it comes to Jenny and Diane it gets even more complex in terms of why they would have problems having sex with the MC when they have no real connection to him.

Again though, like I said, this whole situation just sucks. All these games where Moms are now landladies or friends of the family that the MC is staying with and sisters are fellow tenants don't make any sense anymore, especially given their living situations don't exactly match up with these changes. I get that most people just play these games for the sex scenes and a quick fap, but I like following the story in these games and when they don't make sense or are too far-fetched I lose interest. Plus, I always felt like some of these games made a really good point about the nature of sex and attraction and how incest isn't just a bunch of bucktooth, inbred hillbillies but can actually be something that's perfectly natural and not that big of a deal.

Maybe I'll just learn Ren'py and see if I can change the script for my own personal amusement.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
I suppose you could look at as though, being a landlady, she feels that she needs to maintain a business relationship with her tenants and that having a sexual relationship with any of them would be, in her mind, crossing a line. But I do get your point, and when it comes to Jenny and Diane it gets even more complex in terms of why they would have problems having sex with the MC when they have no real connection to him.

Again though, like I said, this whole situation just sucks. All these games where Moms are now landladies or friends of the family that the MC is staying with and sisters are fellow tenants don't make any sense anymore, especially given their living situations don't exactly match up with these changes. I get that most people just play these games for the sex scenes and a quick fap, but I like following the story in these games and when they don't make sense or are too far-fetched I lose interest. Plus, I always felt like some of these games made a really good point about the nature of sex and attraction and how incest isn't just a bunch of bucktooth, inbred hillbillies but can actually be something that's perfectly natural and not that big of a deal.

Maybe I'll just learn Ren'py and see if I can change the script for my own personal amusement.
It's really not hard, especially since you already have some code experience, just like learning a different dialect really. Ren'Py uses Python, which is the easiest language I've ever used. I got started on my game after taking notes on a 45 minute youtube python video. I'm by no means great at it, but I understand it well enough.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
So long as the content they're creating doesn't directly include any incestuous elements, there's nothing to say that a NSFW game developer is not allowed to have adaptive dialogue code that allows players to custom set the MC's relationship to specific characters.
The only adaptation they can have, is replacing all occurrence of "landlady" (by example) by a variable, and let the player define by itself the content of this variable. But that's really all the liberty they have. So your :
  • DebMy = Inserts the word "my" for parts of the dialogue where it needs to precede the relationship if the DebR2 condition has been met for the dialogue to sound more natural.
    • E.g. "MC: I can't believe that ([Deb] or [DebMy] [DebR2] if [DebR] = (D1), (D2), or (D3)) just did that!" = "MC: I can't believe that Debbie/my Mom just did that!"
fall under the "funding a game including incestuous content" side and goes against their TOS, that's all.

I don't exactly remember how, but when Patreon ban started, MrDots goes with adaptive code at first. Then when they came at him again, forcing him to start a new game and officially forgetting about Dating my Daughter.
If there's (many) creators that achieve to have adaptive code for their Patreon game, its because apparently Patreon now enforce the rules only if someone point the problem to them, not because it's an effective workaround for their TOS. But they all face the possibility to be kicked out without warning nor chance to save their account ; they aren't in the top 5 of adult content creators like MrDots was at this time.
You also can't have your game on Patreon and an incestuous version on your own site, unless there's absolutely no link between you Patreon page and your own site ; which make is useless. All this have been discussed many times since Patreon ban started more than one year ago now.

The only way to have incestuous content in a game funded on Patreon is someone creating an effective mod for it ; one who really change the dialogs line, not one that raise a flag.

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
fall under the "funding a game including incestuous content" side and goes against their TOS, that's all.
I disagree, but only because his code never mentions the relationship itself, just attempts to define how the user input relationship is handled by the code does it present with my, or the, or etc for this particular sentence. So long as you never actually say mom or sister or anything else you should be able to get away with it.

The problem comes from the lack of a way to prevent the dialogue from sounding silly if they choose anything other than a taboo relationship. The only way to do that would be to catch things that weren't taboo and funnel them to a specific version of the script without the taboo framework, and unless you're good enough to catch all the typical responses, you'll have people playing the taboo with strange relationships. That is unless you actually do it the other way around, defining the obvious taboo ones and shuffling the others elsewhere, but that would be a breech of ToS.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The only way to do that would be to catch things that weren't taboo and funnel them to a specific version of the script without the taboo framework, [...]
It's not the only way. You can make an English to taboo-English translation of the game. It can be distributed separately, which is good since it's not made by the game author, but will need a button somewhere to switch from a version to the other.
You can also use the callback to change the dialog lines in the fly. Here, you don't need a single change in the original code. Just make your mod, add the file, and enjoy the changed relationship and changed dialog lines. There's some of them available here ; all derived from @bossapplesauce mods, it's shown by the one line "if/else" structure.
Both way works fine and let you have dialog lines that effectively and naturally reflect the relationship, whatever this relationship can be. This while totally complying with Patreon TOS, since the author obviously isn't the one who wrote a mod and made it available on lewdpatcher.

Reactions: Ying Ko

DarthSeduction

Lord of Passion
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 28, 2017
It's not the only way. You can make an English to taboo-English translation of the game. It can be distributed separately, which is good since it's not made by the game author, but will need a button somewhere to switch from a version to the other.
You can also use the callback to change the dialog lines in the fly. Here, you don't need a single change in the original code. Just make your mod, add the file, and enjoy the changed relationship and changed dialog lines. There's some of them available here ; all derived from @bossapplesauce mods, it's shown by the one line "if/else" structure.
Both way works fine and let you have dialog lines that effectively and naturally reflect the relationship, whatever this relationship can be. This while totally complying with Patreon TOS, since the author obviously isn't the one who wrote a mod and made it available on lewdpatcher.
True, I was avoiding the need for a patch though.