VN - Ren'Py - Completed - Courtin' Cowboys [v1.10.0] [Mr Fishess]

1. 2.00 star(s)

anotheruser

While it has its charm, for a game flagged as "Completed" this has serious drawbacks.

The Good:
    The writing is clear, with a reasonable approximation of proper English grammar & spelling.

Despite having only a few lines of dialog each, the authors have managed to give each character a semblance of a distinct personality, albeit often a one-dimensional cliche that seems like it belongs in a 50's TV western.

The Bad:
    There's more character depth here than the classic 1-line NPC, but not by much.

Character interactions are short: Any given relationship tends to consist of a quiz-like initial conversation, then if you get the answers right, you're rewarded with a single short scene of social interaction, and a single short sex scene (as in 2 or 3 images and perhaps a dozen lines of dialog).

In most cases there seems to be no further interaction possible after a character's first tiny little scene, so if it takes you more than 20 seconds to fap, you're not going to get any satisfaction here.

The Ugly:
    The graphics seem to be intentionally awful. In a time of photo-realistic AI-generated images and dazzling 3D renders, this game features blown-up (pixelated) low-res sprites. If it weren't for the non-matching art styles, they would look right at home in a low-budget Nintendo game from the late 1980s.

Plot-wise this is better than Custer's Revenge, but honestly the graphics are at a pretty similar level of quality.

In Conclusion:
    I'm not sure who the intended audience is: This game features no puzzles, no real plot, no significant romance or eroticism and no excitement. Maybe it was somebody's attempt to learn Ren'Py and they decided to publish it as a joke?

In some ways, I feel like the best thing I can say about it is that if you play to see 100% of the scenes, you've probably only wasted 20 minutes or so of your life and a few hundred MB of bandwidth (which is weird, considering I've seen far better graphics in games that came out on 1.4MB floppy disks. I assume poor compression is to blame).
  2. 4.00 star(s)

Slaaneshi

Great visual novel to sink a few hours into.

Story is a tad cliche at times but each character is interesting in their own way. The town is a fun setting and being able to customize your character is refreshing, most times games of this genre have a fixed protag or the customization is limited to pronouns. Choosing between different genitals actually changes the visuals and direction of sex scenes, though there is still the occasional generic "your hole" used.

The music has enough variety as to not become grating and allows you to pick between them as you play to unlock more tracks as you discover them. The art style is unique and very expressive, the pixel art is surprisingly detailed on the characters but I found some of the backgrounds lacking proper definition (particularly the sheriffs cabin exterior).

Overall a worthwhile game to play, its darker elements are rather tame to me but others may find it upsetting, so the option to turn off nsfw material is appreciated. Hope to see more from this dev in future.
  3. 5.00 star(s)

crit_basic

still early in the game it's simple yet good almost sanbox like, everything open but limited in a game you would want. Supporting this dev is good especially how wide your choices.

As a free user this is the best and aside from the more violent theme (wish the basement and possible make your torture/sex/slave room were a possible option but i always repeat this like a broken record) really gives depth to the game.

the people supporting this dev thank you what ever you give and hope this open share lets the dev make more games or expand this.