Ren'Py - Covenant of Morn [v0.3.3] [395games]

1. 3.00 star(s)

zehirman

Liked Mist but this one...it's difficult to rate as of now.

First the story and ambiance : It try to build something but the execution feel poor...we must kill someone for someone else for us to live. Well fuck it let's go ! what !?! we lack the resolve...euuh ok...next it's the relation between the prota and the female lead...weeeell how to put it...some femdom mixing with tsundere feel like vibe from the FL, you need sex to live, alright she is good to go, but don't feel like it but it's ok to have sex, make your MIND woman ! you jump on me the first time after i was impaled and now you telling me a handjob and i'm good to go ? i need my daily handjob to live ? it feel like sex scene for the purpose of having sex scene.
    Next is the content...alright Mist was good but i feel like the dev is trying to put the exact same mechanics in this one, ok why not. but honestly 0.02 and we got nothing to really enjoy here. boring mini game with clicking on a object to please a blob, ah yes we see the others as blob, ok we got a good explanation about that but it feel lazy to be honest. And we got our sandbow tradition but for once we don't need to click randomly to find something, that's something at least.
    Next ! the music...nothing really incredible here, it do the job alright but that's it...
    For the good point, i like the chara design like i did for the previous game and i am still looking for the next release, i hope we gonna have something more consequent to test and maybe something more fleshy for the characters, in my humble opinion : i don't give a fuck about any of them for now, nothing to giving the feeling of caring about them. the OOOH cryptic hanjobdailygiver witch and a demon/maid who suck me on our first meeting...that's it.
  2. 2.00 star(s)

xXxNeospiritxXx

this game goes in the wrong direction compared to "Mist" the story itself is already a pretty bad idea. you play as an orc looking pathetic zombie and have to be fine with forced sex scenes and female domination which is horrible executed. render quality is on the same level as Mist if not even a bit better, everything else remains rather below my expectations. sadly
  3. 2.00 star(s)

no one in particular

This review is as of 0.2,

I hate to do this since the dev is so hardworking and i really enjoyed mist but so far it has been quite underwhelming, like night and day difference from the mist and not in a good way, first lets talk about the premise we are an undead zombie revived by a witch through a ritual now we are tasked to murder her sister for our life, now straight away we have an encounter with her sister which is not used to kill her but to free someone who is later revealed to be the demon/snake maid now the execution setup is cool but it would have worked better if the crowd looked like the crowd and if the executioner was someone else, now the game addresses that we are an undead and could have killed her during it later on but did we have the resolve to do it ? now morality aside i ask why does that matter, we are on borrowed time and well as far as we know her sister is a nobody to us and to live we have to kill her so why don't we ? , now this matter aside lets look at the renders, the environment does look decent but nothing extraordinary and well the lighting is too dark for many renders, the people(humans) are all blob shaped now this has a story reason but putting that aside it just looks kinda lame, and well we have a sex scene straight away to revive us post execution scene, now we basically know nothing about enna and well it just seems super rushed sex for the sake of sex, unfortunately it did not feel sexy at all, as the story progresses we learn later that we are helping demons and we apparently the "good guys" well not really but better than the executioners apparently, although its not clear why. Demons seem to posses humans and grant them wishes and after that they seem to cause harm to everyone else, it seems like we are the bad guys we might as well embrace it and not pretend, now later on we are forced to have sex to live or we die and well we have a date after the minigame which is okay, (kind of annoying) and well we try to make it like hey you dont seem so into this concept, but enna is like no we are mistaken and more forced sex not exactly sexy again we have a hj scene this time and we are kicked out and its shown that she digs her fingernail into her own arm after this now well so she really hates it and its even more depressing, and well the snake demon maid we have a bj scene with her this also straight away and well forced entirely, this was not as bad but again rushed, So tldr story is intriguing but not fun or sexy feels depressing, the blob renders really ruin immersion for the setting even if it has a story reason, the scenes feel forced(literally even) and too early without any connection with the girls i was really excited for the update but unfortunately the setting and story isn't working for me, I will be following the game since the dev is great and maybe the game turns around.
  4. 5.00 star(s)

NormMcd

This was a really short, but intriguing demo. In short - I loved it!
    In more detail - the animations look awesome, the character design is unique and detailed (the outfits look fitting, the dialogue and speaking style is different for each character).
    The fantasy and mystery theme is perfect; has a little bit of romance, but also lewd scenes and lots of secrets to unravel. The decisions are impactful.
    I'm keeping my eye on this game, and also looking forward to playing other games from the same dev.
  5. 4.00 star(s)

Infuriongames

Short, but sweet. The setup here is really good, and there's a lot of story yet to come. The art and visuals are unique, complex, and engaging. This is a game worth keeping an eye on and playing as more content gets released.
  6. 5.00 star(s)

Wafe

Going to review this as more of a technical demo in comparison to mist.

To keep it simple, I think this is an incredible demo that shows even more skill than Mist, and assuming that their worldbuilding, character writing, and game design skills carry over or also follow the same arc, I fully believe that this game can be even better. A lot of the previous technical issues I had mentioned in mist have been removed. The game feels and moves a lot quicker, and the characters have better skin textures and look less like silly putty, though it grew on me.

As far as renders and animation goes, it definitely feels even smoother, and the lighting and effects are a notch up from before. I also liked the really short section where you had to present things to the goo character, felt like a fun proof of concept. I felt that Mist excelled not just as an h game but as a game, though my personal preference isn't in survival games. I am hoping that this game leans more into a mystery/detective side. And on that note, hoping for more mystery to sink my teeth into soon.

I've got high hopes for the game and I hope that dev takes the encouragement.
  7. 5.00 star(s)

Cheezeman57

Great job. Game has great potential. I played the last one from start to finish and I do not anticipate anything different here. It has a great story to begin with and keeps you following it. Keep up your stellar work.
  8. 5.00 star(s)

WechaMings

I missed MIST. Seeing this showing up brought me back when I first discovered that game, back when the content stopped before reaching the city.

This beginning initially gave me quite the Dark Souls III vibes for various, obvious reasons when you play the game, but then morphed into something else, definitely intriguing and different from the previous games of this developer.
    Also I like to feel bad for characters who suffer, so I'm biased in favor of this new MC.
  9. 5.00 star(s)

VoNah

Version 0.1:

As an initial release, this is very strong. Graphics and sound are excellent and there's great room to grow the story and the character gallery.

Some will say there's not a lot here, there isn't. Yet. But considering what a great game Mist ended up being, I will keep following the progress of this game with great anticipation.

Based on where this game is in its development, we're at 5/5.
  10. 5.00 star(s)

Deleted member 5134471

Although its only a prologue, this game is simply on another level. If you've played Mist you know how great it was, but this game's graphics and design is nothing less than incredible. Difficult to judge the story as its 0.1, but has a lot of potential.
  11. 5.00 star(s)

rmz666

A very cool premise that's actually something new and not just the next family fun "oh my father died now I have to live with my astranged horny family" or college story. The pacing in the beginning is a little weird, but nothing to put me off.
    Characters look great, animations are incredibly good and so are the visuals in general. Also really enjoyed the music and sound effects, too many games are missing the opportunity to use them, especially the moans. Makes the lewds feel so much more alive.
  12. 5.00 star(s)

Entchen

Bif fan of the devs previous game Mist, this game seems to be building on the same fundamentals as the first. Good immersive sounds and music, interesting story, and some really good animations, cant wait for the continuation
  13. 4.00 star(s)

elementary_scion

It's really too early to say much, but there is a lot of good here already. Potentially most interesting is the sound design, which is above and beyond anything that I've seen so far. Time will tell if it goes beyond just the cutscenes, but even if it doesn't it's still really good.

Character models are different from the usual, as was the case in MIST, which is nice.

Seems like there is some inspiration from long live the princess in the clues mechanic, so that could be interesting.
  14. 5.00 star(s)

JB08

Cant go wrong with 395Games. Mist was an excellent game so coming from that, I might be a bit biased, along with other reviewers. One one hand Mist set a really high bar so you might see negative reviews from those who expect too much, but on the other hand Mist was so good it made a ton of fans and those fans could leave unfairly good reviews too.

Children of Morn carries the same visual style of Mist and clean animation. The designs of the characters (so far) are great. The sounds are on point. The writing is good. Plot seem interesting and engaging but there isnt too much revealed yet as its just the first release but its promising. There isnt much else to say. Its Mist but with a different story.

Keep it coming 395.
  15. 5.00 star(s)

gratja5

The game looks very promising!!
    Loved Mist. Sounds are very good and renderings are amazing.
    Cant say to much about the story but it has me intrigued.
    looking forward to see where it is heading!
    395 games are great
  16. 3.00 star(s)

Obanama

0.1:
    Pretty nice renders and environments, music is decent, and the character designs are pretty solid.
    The first release wasn't super long, so there isn't too much to go on, but I didn't really get hooked by any of the characters, including the MC.
    Story wise, it felt both rushed and empty at the same time, you could call it “pacing” but there is probably a better word for it.
    Overall, had higher hopes from the developer of MIST, but this is basically just a demo, so can't judge it too hard.