Creating a 2D NSFW Platformer - Need tips

gr4ph1cd0lph1n

May 29, 2023
This is going to be the very first game I am creating. I have had ideas and desires for more games of in the vore genre for a long time and it's pretty hard to find games that focus solely on its theme, besides ViotoXica ~Vore Exploring Action RPG & Milia/Echidna Wars that are also platformers or 3D ... I actually wanted to create a 3D game by my guess is that dealing with the meshes for the devouring scenes would be pretty difficult.

Currently, I am building a 2D NSFW Action/Adventure Platformer of which features death cutscenes after the player is devoured. I won't go too much in depth about the game or gameplay yet as I intend to advertise it later, but want to get general ideas of do's and do not's. Right now I think I am going to keep it between 2 and 3 playable levels to gauge the interest in the market. If interest is strong enough then I will continue building more levels and content. Originally I had 10 levels planned with 4 enemies per level (each mostly different enemies but some similar) and each enemy will have 4 cutscenes involving the ensuing vore scene if the Protagonist is defeated. All characters and enemies are also going to be hand drawn. I intend to give the Protagonist 1 outfit and a naked model to start with, and each cutscene will feature the outfit she is currently wearing. She will have 2 mele attacks and 2 ranged attacks.

My overall goal would be to eventually build 10 levels, 6 outfits, and increase her abilities, moves as well as the difficulty of enemies as the game progresses.

The Artwork, including sprites of this game, even for just the 3 levels is going to cost me in the ballpark of between $8,000 - $10,000 ... I am wondering, if it is possible to recoup that investment using a Patreon. I do see other artists in the vore category on Patreon that seem to be doing well. I also see a few vore related games there as well but not many. I am also depending on a game developer and artists to deliver and compile the content. Unfortunately I do not have enough free time to learn how to code on my own, and I realize that puts me at a very big risk. Eventually I may learn to code.. On the side, I also intend to build comics involving the Protagonist of the game. Some involving the actual game and story itself, others involving more fantasy story and settings. All of this, I intend to host on a Patreon in order to fund the development of the game and any merchandise related to the Protaganist.

..but given my initial investment and ideas, what do you feel about my project? Are my goals feasible?

Also what would you recommend for advertising? I have created a twitter account (can't post yet because I'm new) - If I were to advertise here, how should I present it and what expectations should I have? How should I make my product known?

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Investing 10k for a game, especially your first game, is insane. I just hope you are rich and won't miss those 10k.
Why are you saying this ? The average monthly earning for an adult game is US$200. Remove a quarter for the platform fees and taxes, it only need 67 months (5 and half years) before he get back his money. Totally worth it.

• Haha
Reactions: Winterfire

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Why are you saying this ? The average monthly earning for an adult game is US$200. Remove a quarter for the platform fees and taxes, it only need 67 months (5 and half years) before he get back his money. Totally worth it.
That's actually one of the good scenarios, I've heard of projects that didn't even launch after their "investment", although none of them was anywhere close to that amount (luckily).

gr4ph1cd0lph1n

May 29, 2023
Noted. I agree it is a big risk, I am curious though, how would you approach this project?

I recommend that the sense of hit is not bad,even this is a NSWF game.Or more NSWF CG?
It's intended to be both, but will have a fair amount of game play that I intend to extend if it looks like there is demand.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
I am also depending on a game developer and artists to deliver and compile the content. Unfortunately I do not have enough free time to learn how to code on my own, and I realize that puts me at a very big risk. Eventually I may learn to code..
If you don't know how to code nor how to create the art, why on earth are you even considering this?

If your goal is to find more vore games just make sure to heavily support devs that are already doing what you want, that's all you can do...

gr4ph1cd0lph1n

May 29, 2023
If you don't know how to code nor how to create the art, why on earth are you even considering this?

If your goal is to find more vore games just make sure to heavily support devs that are already doing what you want, that's all you can do...
Because there aren't many of them out there that have what I am looking for.
Most have a mix between different fetish's. The dev's of the games that I did like have all gone awol like D-Gate and Xi (Viocide).

That and I intend to learn coding and building games and software over time, I just can't dedicate a significant amount of time toward it right now.

Meaning Less

Engaged Member
Sep 13, 2016
Because there aren't many of them out there that have what I am looking for.
Most have a mix between different fetish's. The dev's of the games that I did like have all gone awol like D-Gate and Xi (Viocide).

That and I intend to learn coding and building games and software over time, I just can't dedicate a significant amount of time toward it right now.
I get where you are coming from but chances of a project like that coming into fruition is less than 1%, you are basically asking for ownership of a product that others are going to entirely create for you.

Game development is an iterative process that requires tons of adjustment and changes midway through the project, that's why buying individual art isn't feasible if you want to keep things consistent.
Instead you would have to hire those people most likely, and that would cost you a lot more than the ammount you are planning to spend depending on how long it takes for the game to be done.

My advice to you is to stick with more realistic goals:
-if you have no drawing skills then play around with 3D softwares and learn how to make your own vore renders;
-or learn how to make a platformer with all the basic mechanics you need until you reach a point where you can start adding art to it.
Once you attain at least one of those, maybe then reconsider finding someone interested in working with you, or learn how to do both and grind away.

Winterfire

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 27, 2018
Noted. I agree it is a big risk, I am curious though, how would you approach this project?
If you are serious about it, and it is not just a random idea you had last morning, learn about Game Development.
Start with learning how to write a Game Design Document, and write one for a very simple game, and try making it even by using placeholder graphics or stuff like KK/HS2 just to see what it takes making a game, it gives you a much different perspective on things.

gr4ph1cd0lph1n

May 29, 2023
If you are serious about it, and it is not just a random idea you had last morning, learn about Game Development.
Start with learning how to write a Game Design Document, and write one for a very simple game, and try making it even by using placeholder graphics or stuff like KK/HS2 just to see what it takes making a game, it gives you a much different perspective on things.
Understandable, I have wrote up a few documents regarding the game, although I am unsure if it is what you would consider a Game Design Document. It includes the Storyline, Enemies, their attacks (vaguely atleast), the levels, ect.. ..can I share the created content so far here and get your opinions?

This twitter account was built for the purpose of supporting the game:

You are right that I do need to learn programming as it is true that my positioning in this is a very vulnerable one with no skillset in art or programming yet. I was thinking of doing it myself but I guess I rushed ahead because I didn't feel that I would be able to make progress in terms of development soon enough.

I get where you are coming from but chances of a project like that coming into fruition is less than 1%, you are basically asking for ownership of a product that others are going to entirely create for you.

Game development is an iterative process that requires tons of adjustment and changes midway through the project, that's why buying individual art isn't feasible if you want to keep things consistent.
Instead you would have to hire those people most likely, and that would cost you a lot more than the ammount you are planning to spend depending on how long it takes for the game to be done.

My advice to you is to stick with more realistic goals:
-if you have no drawing skills then play around with 3D softwares and learn how to make your own vore renders;
-or learn how to make a platformer with all the basic mechanics you need until you reach a point where you can start adding art to it.
Once you attain at least one of those, maybe then reconsider finding someone interested in working with you, or learn how to do both and grind away.
Yeah, you have a point. I actually have created vore scenes with DazStudio 3D but never posted them online before. I was actually considering making a 3D game but thought the 2D route would be easier.

Last edited: