creating a game

• Thread starter Deleted member 365596
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 365596

Hi!!
I have an idea to create game similar to Karryns Prison , but with dialouge sex.
You can control through having sex with prisoners/guards.
But i need some advice. How should i start ? I want to do this game in RPGM.
Any advices?

xide

Sep 10, 2019
I just came across this website today while searching for Daz resources and see that there is a lot of information on this site. I'm also interested in creating a game using art and animations that I create in Daz (but i'm willing to learn something new if needed)

I'd like to make something fully 3D and free roam and I can imagine that would be a lot of work, what software does anyone else suggest for that?

As for the OP, I see some people are using which looks pretty simplistic to get a basic game started using just images/videos. I may try that route first before I get into anything more advanced. Unless someone has other suggestions.

OP- Good luck with your project and I look forward to hearing about your progress.

Admins/mods - Great site! Keep up the good work! I'm sure i'll be here visiting daily.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
Well there are at least two programs you would need: a render or art program, and a game-engine.

For render programs Daz is the most popular one; You download assets (like characters, rooms, etc.) and load them into Daz to make your scene. You can find a good amount of pirated assets to get you going in the asset release section on this site, (it will cost you a lot otherwise). Its still advised to mix assets together (like hair from one on the other), and/or use morph packages (sliders which change the size of a body part) to create characters that are at least a bit different then 90% of the games posted here.

Blender is another render option. It has a steep learning curve, but in the long run you can get better results then Daz. The main disadvantage compared to Daz is you got to do some 3d modelling, texturing, and rigging (adding bones to your character so you can put her in different poses) before you can create your scene. It allows for much more freedom compared to DAZ. People that use blender often start with a Daz model, morph it around to create the look they want, and then go forward with creating skin, hair, and rigging the character.

It requires a fair amount of work to get started, but in the long run it can be worth it. You are much more free in how you scene looks like (in daz you are pretty much reliant on other peoples work), and how characters look like (same as before for Daz). Blender has a better rendering engine, and if your interested in animations blender is 100 times better then Daz for that (Daz can do animations, but is in general not advised do do that)

Outside of rendering to create your art, you could draw your own art, in photoshop or GIMP (the free photoshop version). This can make your game look unique compared to everything ells for sure, but isnt really feasible if you cant draw to start with.

Lastly Honey select is used here and there, but apparently the creater of that program stated a couple weeks ago, its not supposed to be used to create scenes for commercial use, so I would advise just to steer away from that one.

----------------------------------------------

Onto game-engines.

The main one used on here in Renpy. Its a visual novel game engine. It mainly just put text on top of pictures to get a story you click through. You can create different dialog options, and different paths, add some mini-games if you know hot to program a bit, but thats it really. Its great for what it does (creating visual novels), but nothing ells really.

RPGmaker is properly the second most used one, but has a bit of negative stigma. Fair amount of the games created by RPGmaker are just visual novels with a lot of walking between scenes. Most of them use the basic sets as well, so they all look the same. RPGmaker games can be good, but it should make sense why you picked that engine over Renpy; aka it has to be a RPG game. It doesnt mean you need to have a battle system (I prefer games without one, as 99 out of 100 battle systems are just easy spam 1 ability grind fests), but you need some parts of a RPG game, like puzzles, meaningful exploration, free-roaming, etc.

Unity is the third option, and is the most professional one by far. You can create whatever you want in Unity (mayor AAA titles use this engine as well), but it has a steep learning curve, requires you to know how to program, and in general just takes much longer. It has the most flexibility in what you can achieve, but requires the most dedication as well.

There are of course many more engines, but these 3 are the main ones (or pretty much the only ones) used on here.

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
The main one used on here in Renpy. [...] Its great for what it does (creating visual novels), but nothing ells really.
The development of the engine itself is mostly limited to visual novel, and there's too few games that goes further than that. But it doesn't mean that the engine can't be use to create something different.
Sakura Dungeon proved, years ago, that you can use it to do an old school 3D dungeon crawling. This while, more recently, RPGM2Renpy demonstrated that it can emulate RPG Make in real time. And if it can emulate it, it can also do it natively and better.
Obviously there's limits to what Ren'py can do, but they are far beyond the sole visual novels.

Synx

Jul 30, 2018
The development of the engine itself is mostly limited to visual novel, and there's too few games that goes further than that. But it doesn't mean that the engine can't be use to create something different.
Sakura Dungeon proved, years ago, that you can use it to do an old school 3D dungeon crawling. This while, more recently, RPGM2Renpy demonstrated that it can emulate RPG Make in real time. And if it can emulate it, it can also do it natively and better.
Obviously there's limits to what Ren'py can do, but they are far beyond the sole visual novels.
Well ok you can do more with Ren'py then visual novels, but in 99 out of 100 cases if you wanted to make something ells your better of picking another engine. Like the Sakura dungeon one; it uses a fair amount of custom scripts to get the combat mechanics, levels, items, skills, etc. into the game. If your going that route why not pick a clean slate engine, like unity, which is actually made for such games?

The RPG one is just misleading. Its a port, which removes the walking you do in RPGmaker to clicking where you want to go instantly. It's quit impressive what they achieved, but it required a shit ton of custom scripts, and it seems its a port script, not a way to create a completely new game. And again if you want to make a RPG game, but not in RPGmaker, you would pick unity. Not renply.

Overall I don't agree with you; Ren'py is for visual novels type of games. There are options to expend its base features, with plugins and scripts, but if you want to make something that doesn't have a visual novel style as base, your better of picking a different engine. Its not that it cannot be used for other type of games, but there are engines that are better suited for pretty much everything ells.

Reactions: Sole

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Jun 10, 2017
Like the Sakura dungeon one; it uses a fair amount of custom scripts to get the combat mechanics, levels, items, skills, etc. into the game. If your going that route why not pick a clean slate engine, like unity, which is actually made for such games?
Because you'll still have to write the same amount of "custom scripts", except that you'll have to go deeper when writing them ; by example the dungeon part by itself would have to resize the textures for the wall, which is done automatically by Ren'py.
Then, in top of that you'll have to write all the scripts to handle what Ren'py already do :
  • rollback / rollforward ;
  • Auto-sizing of the whole screen, dialog included ;
  • Unlimited save files ;
  • Prediction and caching mechanism for the images ;
  • Easy translation feature ;
  • Transition effect for the images ;
  • Effect for the images ;
  • I'm more than sure that I forgot some.

I don't say that this can't be done with Unity, nor that it's always difficult code to write, but it is code to write. While with Ren'py it's code already wrote and tested since more than 10 years.

The RPG one is just misleading. [...] It's quit impressive what they achieved, but it required a shit ton of custom scripts, [...]
Obviously it require a lot of custom scripts, it's an emulator. It take RPG Maker content and make it playable on Ren'py. But if it was done natively for Ren'py, most of those scripts would be useless, since they are here to make the interface between the two engines. And the others could be simplified, using a format more adapted to Ren'py.

Overall I don't agree with you; Ren'py is for visual novels type of games. There are options to expend its base features, with plugins and scripts, but if you want to make something that doesn't have a visual novel style as base, your better of picking a different engine.
You say that like if it wasn't also the case for Unity... Without its many plugins and templates, you'll go nowhere without writing way more "custom scripts" than you have with Ren'py. What is effectively missing to Ren'py, isn't its ability to do more than Visual Novel, but the plugins to do it, and the effective knowledge of what can be natively done.
By example, you can natively do a game like Strumpets with Ren'py without the use of a single custom scripts. Everything you need is already present. It's not because it's rarely used, or used inside visual novel, than it don't exist. But to do the same with Unity, you'll have to write a bunch of "custom scripts".

Once again, it doesn't mean that Ren'py is a "good for everything" engine, nor that it should effectively be preferred for this or that. It just mean that limiting Ren'py to the sole Visual Novel is ignoring what Ren'py can effectively do natively.
Oh, and pointing the need of "custom scripts", is ignoring that Ren'py is just a bunch of "custom scripts". The fact that they are wrote by the author of the engine change nothing to that. The only thing that make them looks like "custom scripts" in games is because their authors didn't cared to make to handle them, while PyTom do it. And I mean he really did it, 17 of the official statements presented in the documentation are in fact creator defined ones.

Reactions: RHQuinn