Tool RPGM Ren'Py rpgm2renpy - A RPGMaker "emulator" in RenPy

5.00 star(s) 4 Votes

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
A crazy mountain of Python code I made that reads RPGMaker data in RenPy to hopefully result in a better playing experience.

The code itself is here:

Note that nearly every RPGM game has some sort of plugins or unimplemented features, so it probably won't work on any random game "out of the box".

A note on RenPy compatibility: If you try to run this code in RenPy directly or through some kind of script that ports to another platform, you MUST USE RenPy 6.99 instead of RenPy 7.x. Otherwise you'll see a black screen instead of the map.

Completed Ports

Daniels K Games
ICSTOR Games
NLT Media Games

Upcoming Ports

ICCreations Games:
  • Incest Adventure
  • The Artifact Part 1
  • The Artifact Part 2
  • The Artifact Part 3
Note: These games are all working in the rpgm2renpy engine, but there's some performance problems and usability issues I want to make sure are addressed before releasing.

One of the main holdups is the animations are very high-FPS, and sometimes have a lot of frames. RenPy takes up a lot of memory if you play the animation as individual frames, so I'm thinking about trying to encode them into videos instead. But it's taking a bit more time to research and do it properly.

For the time being I'm trying to focus my efforts on games that are [COMPLETED] -- an in-development game is a moving target and trying to test and release ports while the author is still updating the game takes up a lot of time and energy.

Future Ports - Games with completed or abandoned RPGM versions
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Future Ports - RPGM games still under development

This isn't a RenPy port! You just copied and pasted everything!

What makes a game easier or harder to port?:

Changelog:

Released Versions

Please don't ask about android ports. The ports produced by rpgm2renpy generally require a lot of processor power to run, and need precise mouse movement (clicking and scrolling on the map) that would be hard to implement on a touch device. I don't have an android device to test on, nor any understanding of how android devices work, and most importantly have a limited amount of time to develop these ports and would prefer to focus that energy on desktop ports for other games.

Last edited:

Mr_PacMan

May 31, 2017
I JUST found this !!! Love that you are porting RPGmaker games to Ren'Py. Never was interested in playing in RPGmaker games as they consume too much time like walking/dashing is too slow which starts to become ANNOYING especially when trying to replay the game, also skipping text is much faster in Ren'Py and sometimes in RPGmaker while skipping choices are also automatically selected :/
Now i am very much looking forward to your next releases as the Artifact trilogy and Sister Mia games was something i have been wanting to play but couldn't muster enough interest just because of its engine
Keep up the Good Work !!

Mr_PacMan

May 31, 2017
is there a way to convert rpgsave to renpy save ?
you can recreate the save file in ren'py. as i mentioned before ren'py games have very very efficient skip function. If you remember the choices you chose the you can recreate your save within few minutes. i was able to create two completely different route (jerk/cheating & gentleman/loyal) save file for My girlfriend's Amnesia and anna's exciting affection (another rpgm to renpy ported game) within few minutes.

Reactions: chaughton22

eosar

Aug 11, 2016
Great. The next logical step of course is rpgm2renpy2android.
Glad to have you here. :)

Reactions: R129K

anne O'nymous

I'm not grumpy, I'm just coded that way.
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Jun 10, 2017
It's difficult to impress me... I mean, I'm 47 years old, few month younger than the first micro-processor. Like everyone from my generation and older, I came from a world where computers were enormous things for big companies only, to a world where we (almost) all have something millions time more powerful... in our pocket.
So, writing some code and impressing me with this, it don't happen often... and still you achieved it.

It's probably not very useful by itself because it usually requires customizations for any new game, either to implement plugins or work around events that don't work well in RenPy land.
I saw an utility. It's an effective proof that Ren'py is way more that just a visual novel engine, and powerful enough to play way more advanced games. Not that RPG Maker's game are especially more advanced than Ren'py's ones, but here it's not what you do. You interpolate the data from an engine, convert them to another engine, then play them, all this in real time ! If this is possible, imagine if the frontend was designed to play code directly wrote for it...
It also definitively close the eternal debate. Yes, Ren'py can do everything that RPG maker can do. It can even do it by emulating RPG Maker.

Deleted member 173891

Aug 21, 2017
yes.... yes.... yessssssssss... x'D:FeelsGoodMan::p;):heartcoveredeyes::eek:penedeyewink::closedtongue::D:extremelyhappy::closedeyesmile::tf:

ic in paradise???

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
Can someone port Manila Shaw: Blackmail's Obsession? The game has many possible outcomes which are difficult to play with RGM and much easier with RenPy
So far it can't get very far past the title screen but I'll add it to the long-term list and hopefully will be able to put some time into it.
ic in paradise???
I've mostly been avoiding abandoned / incomplete games but I can give it a look if I ever get through a lot of the other stuff.

whynothere

Apr 26, 2017
This is fantastic; there are a lot of RPGMaker games I avoid just because the play experience is so much worse. If you're taking requests, can you look at Agent Alona and the other Combin Ation games? Not sure if they're doable since your GitHub notes mentions no combat and combat actually matters some in those games (letting yourself get hit leads to losing clothes, losing a fight leads to humiliation), but moving around is just painful in those games even though I love the content. Either way, thanks so much for this fantastic contribution!

Akanoes

Game Developer
Jul 13, 2017
@selectivepaperclip Can you make it so the menu's are controlled by the arrow keys again? Or is that impossible since it's now linked to map movement?

Also, I found a way to enable it again, but is there a reason why you disabled rollback? (aside from the occasional background fuck up)

selectivepaperclip

Modder
Respected User
Donor
Feb 19, 2017
@selectivepaperclip Can you make it so the menu's are controlled by the arrow keys again?
Which menus specifically? I can try to take a look.
Also, I found a way to enable it again, but is there a reason why you disabled rollback? (aside from the occasional background fuck up)
Mostly that. I also thought it might be causing performance problems or bloating the savegames but in the current version there doesn’t seem to be an issue.

I had never used the rollback feature in RenPy prior to developing this tool so I didn’t know how well people expect it to work.

I could leave it on by default, because it seems to work in the average scenario, but in stress testing the rollback feature I’ve seen it do some truly bizarre things so I’m worried it will be a big source of bugs for users.

Reactions: maxx mad

Luckzor

May 2, 2017
ICSTOR games do not redirect me, but show this message.
"F95zone - Error You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action."

Reactions: Hail2GranMaster

Akanoes

Game Developer
Jul 13, 2017
Which menus specifically? I can try to take a look.
The choice menu's, the ones that happen during dialog, it's kinda annoying to switch back to the mouse for that :p

Mostly that. I also thought it might be causing performance problems or bloating the savegames but in the current version there doesn’t seem to be an issue.

I had never used the rollback feature in RenPy prior to developing this tool so I didn’t know how well people expect it to work.

I could leave it on by default, because it seems to work in the average scenario, but in stress testing the rollback feature I’ve seen it do some truly bizarre things so I’m worried it will be a big source of bugs for users.
I've always been a big fan of it, I lose focus sometimes and forgot what they just said and scroll back xD

I find it weird that rollback would break stuff though..

5.00 star(s) 4 Votes