Tool RPGM Ren'Py Cruncher - Ren'Py & RPGM MV Game Compactor [v0.4.1] [bas]

4.80 star(s) 4 Votes

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I've got a Mac/Linux version done, just doing some testing. Naturally I picked Milfy City to test, so it's taking a while.

Reactions: bas

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
The Mac/Linux version of RenCruncher 0.4 is here:

If there's demand I'll look into doing RPGMCruncher.

The zip includes Mac versions of cwebp, ffmeg and nconvert. Linux users should install the relevant packages. Linux users shouldn't delete the Cruncher-Mac directory, because it contains webp-header-fix.py.

You need python 2.7.x to run this. I couldn't get Ren'Py's python to work, and I think having python is a reasonable requirement. Get it from .

This has NOT been tested on Linux.

Like the PC version, this assumes you've gone ahead and extracted RPAs, so you have the image/audio/video files.

To run:

Mac: double click RenCruncher-v0.4.command. Drag the Ren'Py app to the terminal window and hit enter, or type in the path to the app.

OR

Mac: launch terminal
Mac/Linux: run RenCruncher-v0.4.command. You can pass in the game directory on the command line, or type it in when asked.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Last edited:

Prokopije

Stupidity Exterminator
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
Hello. There is one renpy game which I can't start after compression. There is error message, when I click on .exe - "can't load [imagename], unsupported image format". I also tried to replace converted image with original one, but than I got same error just with differnt image name and so on...
I tried to convert it twice, but both times - same result.
Is there any way to know what's wrong with that game, since this program works fine for other games.

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Hello. There is one renpy game which I can't start after compression. There is error message, when I click on .exe - "can't load [imagename], unsupported image format". I also tried to replace converted image with original one, but than I got same error just with differnt image name and so on...
I tried to convert it twice, but both times - same result.
Is there any way to know what's wrong with that game, since this program works fine for other games.
What game is it? Ren'Py added webp support in v6.99.13 and later, so very likely this game is using an older version.

Prokopije

Stupidity Exterminator
Donor
Jun 5, 2017
What game is it? Ren'Py added webp support in v6.99.13 and later, so very likely this game is using an older version.
It is this one. It says it is finished somewhere around end of 2016. I don't know which version of renpy was in use during those times.

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
It is this one. It says it is finished somewhere around end of 2016. I don't know which version of renpy was in use during those times.
Yeah, it's 6.99.11 :(

I'll compress it and try to update the Renpy version.

Reactions: Canto Forte

DrSmith

Just loves....
Donor
Game Developer
Apr 21, 2017
I have just used your cruncher on the release packs of my RPGMakerMV game (to keep my development environment uncrunched and I can work from that) and it works like a charm.
For Windows and Linux releases you can use it as described, for an OSx release you have to make some adjustments to the .bat file but then it works also fine.
You need to put the RPGMCruncher.bat and the Cruncher-x64 map in the map \Release name\Game.app\Contents\Resources and change every reference in the RPGMCruncher.bat to the 'www' map to 'app.nw' and it works.

Thanks again!

Jan 11, 2017
@bossapplesauce hey so I need your help with 2 games;
1st one is and it seems problem from what I read above lies in renpy version so the question is how do I update it to the new one?
2nd is and unlike 1st one, this one got compressed just fine BUT the UI (day,dialog box,character art etc.) is completely fucked,so I wonder what causes it?

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
@bossapplesauce hey so I need your help with 2 games;
1st one is and it seems problem from what I read above lies in renpy version so the question is how do I update it to the new one?
2nd is and unlike 1st one, this one got compressed just fine BUT the UI (day,dialog box,character art etc.) is completely fucked,so I wonder what causes it?
1 - you can either copy the Ren'Py files from a game of version 6.99.14 or newer, or you can get the renpy SDK and recompile. I've had better luck just copying the files myself.

2 - need more info please; if it's taking transparent elements and turning them black, I can't get this to work correctly either. Webp supports alpha channel but cwebp fucks it up every time I use it.

Jan 11, 2017
@bossapplesauce you nailed it on the head with 2nd one.But can you be more specific with 1st because I just copy/pasted renpy folder of a newer game to this one and it wont even start now,mind you I haven't even crunched it yet.

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
@bossapplesauce you nailed it on the head with 2nd one.But can you be more specific with 1st because I just copy/pasted renpy folder of a newer game to this one and it wont even start now,mind you I haven't even crunched it yet.
You have to do a lot more than that and it depends on the game. Have to ask, that game is like 300MB. Why are you compressing it? Just to have for your archives?

Jan 11, 2017
@bossapplesauce I see and to answer your question yes ,it goes to my treasury alongside japanese VN's so if its possible I tried to make space and also just to test how small it actually could go be(also its easier to test on small games).

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
@bossapplesauce I see and to answer your question yes ,it goes to my treasury alongside japanese VN's so if its possible I tried to make space and also just to test how small it actually could go be(also its easier to test on small games).
I hear that! I decided to test the Mac version of RenCruncher on Milfy City. Yeah, I'm a dumbass. :p

bas

retired
Respected User
Donor
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Are you sure about this? I've used Irfanview to look at other webp files with transparency and it shows a non-transparent border around them but they work fine in a game.
Positive. cwebp sets the alpha channel to black on everything I process with it, have tried every setting I can find, different versions, etc. Not saying it can't be done with webp, but the tools I use to compress images breaks it. Same thing with several other games.

P.S. your new avatar is weird.

depechedNode

Oct 10, 2017
Positive. cwebp sets the alpha channel to black on everything I process with it, have tried every setting I can find, different versions, etc. Not saying it can't be done with webp, but the tools I use to compress images breaks it. Same thing with several other games.

P.S. your new avatar is weird.
Did you try Romeolight webp converter? My tests show no broken transparency, but I'm not experienced as you are.

4.80 star(s) 4 Votes