VN Ren'Py Cultural Replay: A Culture Shock Fanwork [v0.35][Palos69][Current Status: Day 12]

4.00 star(s) 2 Votes

Who's your favorite girl?

• Total voters

Akeymu

Jan 22, 2020
Yeah, you weren't able to start anything with the sister this early in the original game. The same will happen to the mother in the next update. Relationship dynamics need to be introduced earlier for the NTR to work, imo.

The "incident' was a start of a route that is being developed but won't be fully expanded on until later.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Um, she ass fucked her anal hole, with a giant dildo

Shirafune

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah, it's in multiple places on the first post, but I'll try to make it even more clear.

The Tracy/Lucas scene was pushed back til later. Instead of a flashback, it has better use as an actual scene or as fuel for a Liza scene.

NTR is disabled as a default setting. It can be changed from the Preferences menu. I would check that first if you're not getting the scenes you're expecting. I've added a line to the intro page so the disabled default is more clear.

And about the screenshot, I removed that part of the scene. I tried a few ways of making it work, but it really just came down to "someone just sexually assaulted my sibling" and how does the story continue from here. Since I didn't have the renders to show Marcus and James in prison, I decided it was best to remove it.
How about just remove Lucas/Tracy cuz it didnt make sense at all in the normal game lol

Reactions: Kappa Zappa

BBC King

May 8, 2021
So...Culture Shock has finally reached the phase of "Fan Rework". Well I guess it was inevitable, hopefully this developer doesnt abandon it like the original one did.

Also for the people saying they shouldnt profit on it, clearly you guys dont know how the world works, if you have a product that is doing well and someone comes along and improves it because you grow lazy/complacent, thats your fault. Just take a look at Pokémon, they have grown content with their games and one day Palworld comes out of nowhere and BREAKS Steam sales records, now all of a sudden Pokémon is trying to sue Palworld for infringement lmfao.

I would support your patreon OP if you took this rework seriously and plan to make it better than the original.

Last edited:

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
I'm going to start posting technical tutorials in the Dev Tools & Guides section of the forum. I'll be using my code changes from this rewrite as example code. Hopefully, somebody gets some use out of it. Here is my first post.

(Link on first page.)

So...Culture Shock has finally reached the phase of "Fan Rework". Well I guess it was inevitable, hopefully this developer doesnt abandon it like the original one did.

Also for the people saying they shouldnt profit on it, clearly you guys dont know how the world works, if you have a product that is doing well and someone comes along and improves it because you grow lazy/complacent, thats your fault. Just take a look at Pokémon, they have grown content with their games and one day Palworld comes out of nowhere and BREAKS Steam sales records, now all of a sudden Pokémon is trying to sue Palworld for infringement lmfao.

I would support your patreon OP if you took this rework seriously and plan to make it better than the original.
I appreciate the sentiment. But the game isn't abandoned (they just released an update in Jan) and I don't think it's ethical to accept money when I'm still using their renders. I hope you enjoy future updates, though.

Last edited:

BBC King

May 8, 2021
I appreciate the sentiment. But the game isn't technically abandoned (they just released an update in Jan) and I don't think it's ethical to accept money when I'm still using their renders. I hope you enjoy future updates, though.
It isnt abandoned but it is definitely in "milk mode". The dev has entered that phase where they are slowly churning out content just to appease a disgruntled fanbase, not enough for people to call it abandoned but not so little as to not give hope that an update is "right around the corner".

I seen this too many times over the years to not recognize the signs. My sentiment is, if they want lazy money then screw them, I will support someone who actually is trying. I did the exact same for ChillyScholar and "Urban Demons" as well as S A Z and "The Tyrant".

Last edited:
Reactions: Palos69

AnHorse

Aug 2, 2018
Maybe if it were made by the same dev? This is not any different from Office Wife, DMD, Manilla Shaw, Big Brother, AWAM and so many other games that a new person either reformatted or reimagined the original version of a game? They all deservedly have their own game threads. Not to mention all the independent modders out there that have their own thread page that adds or alters game content out there? I fail to see the reason for your post.
Those are mostly different engine remakes though. This is just taking all of the renders and a few fan art images and shoving them together alongside a bit of rewriting.

It isnt abandoned but it is definitely in "milk mode". The dev has entered that phase where they are slowly churning out content just to appease a disgruntled fanbase, not enough for people to call it abandoned but not so little as to not give hope that an update is "right around the corner".
Culture Shock updates have been consistently slow since the game first came out. Nothing about it has ever changed to indicate a "milk mode", the devs just slow and seemingly held back even more by their rendering speed.

BBC King

May 8, 2021
Culture Shock updates have been consistently slow since the game first came out. Nothing about it has ever changed to indicate a "milk mode", the devs just slow and seemingly held back even more by their rendering speed.
It's people like you who are the reason the Saddoggames, Nergals Nest, Dark Silver, ICSTOR, etc are allowed to stay relevant. "Guys give them some time." "Guys, they are trying their best." "Guys, its hard in their position."

How about a simpler explanation; Some people are just lazy or greedy and want easy money.

Last edited:

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
Those are mostly different engine remakes though. This is just taking all of the renders and a few fan art images and shoving them together alongside a bit of rewriting.
I agree with you for the most part, but I do think it kind of trivializes what is actually a lot of effort. Each day has on average 900 lines I have to review, edit, and rearrange for continuity. I usually do this process multiple times when I'm integrating a new day for different routes. I've also fixed bugs that have existed for years, added new features, and wrote tools to make the dialogue more dynamic.

But from my perspective, creating the renders is the most time consuming and expensive part, which is why the original developer should be the one benefiting financially. I would love to work with them on the official release and I still might if they ever reach out.

I'm also currently unemployed and I do think the rate at which I've been pushing updates does skew the perception of how much effort it's really taking. I've basically been working on this full-time. We can all thank the US government and my former employer for funding it.

I can't comment on the "milking" accusations, but I do have one personal anecdote. I was subscribed to his Patreon during January when he released his latest update. There were a lot of new (and old) bugs that people wanted a patch for. I fixed them in a couple hours and sent him documentation and posted on his Discord. As far as I know, they did nothing with it. At that point, I was getting messaged about an "unofficial" patch so I made a distributable and sent it out to a few people. I even posted the file in his discord. This was an exact copy of his game (none of my changes), except with the bug fixes and updated dependencies (they are using older versions of Python and RenPy in the official release). If they wanted, they could extract the rpa archives and build off it. Again, no response.

I don't know this person's living situation so I try not to be too judgmental about it, but I basically gift-wrapped what his community was asking for. All he had to do was literally share the link, or copy and paste the code from the documentation I sent. It's been almost two months and I'm no longer subscribed to his Patreon, so I have no idea if he finally released a patch or not.

That being said, I would rather people in this thread not shame the original developer. I admire what they've been able to accomplish and I'm hoping that my "rewrite" is a value add to their community.

One of the main reasons I don't want to accept money for this project is because I'm having fun with it and I don't want it to be a job. So if I am forced to stop working on it, all it will mean is that I have more free time. I also don't have to worry about catering to one crowd or the other. I do appreciate the fans of the game that have been really positive about what I'm trying to do, and I understand the concern that if I don't try to "fix it" that no one ever will.

I wish this site had threadmarks because I've said it multiple times, but I did reach out to the mods about this first. Because of how "fast" I was finishing updates, I felt like I was spamming the OG thread, which has relatively low traffic. They discussed it amongst themselves and advised me to make this one. If they decide to take it down in the future, than that is totally fine with me.

Last edited:

365 others

Aug 31, 2022
I agree with you for the most part, but I do think it kind of trivializes what is actually a lot effort. Each day has on average 900 lines I have to review, edit, and rearrange for continuity. I usually do this process multiple times when I'm integrating a new day for different routes. I've also fixed bugs that have existed for years, added new features, and wrote tools to make the dialogue more dynamic.

But from my perspective, creating the renders is the most time consuming and expensive part, which is why the original developer should be the one benefiting financially. I would love to work with them on the official release and I still might if they ever reach out.

I'm also currently unemployed and I do think the rate at which I've been pushing updates does skew the perception of how much effort it's really taking. I've basically been working on this full-time. We can all thank the US government and my former employer for funding it.

I can't comment on the "milking" accusations, but I do have one personal anecdote. I was subscribed to his Patreon during January when he released his latest update. There were a lot of new bugs that people wanted a patch for. I fixed them in a couple hours and sent him documentation and posted on his Discord. As far as I know, they did nothing with it. At that point, I was getting messaged about an "unofficial" patch so I made a distributable and sent it out to a few people. I even posted the file in his discord. This was an exact copy of his game (none of my changes), except with the bug fixes and updated dependencies (they are using older versions of Python and RenPy in the official release). If they wanted, they could extract the rpa archives and build off it. Again, no response.

I don't know this person's living situation so I try not to be too judgmental about it, but I basically gift-wrapped what his community was asking for. All he had to do was literally share the link, or copy and paste the code from the documentation I sent. It's been almost two months and I'm no longer subscribed to his Patreon, so I have no idea if he finally released a patch or not.

That being said, I would rather people in this thread not shame the original developer. I admire what they've been able to accomplish and I'm hoping that my "rewrite" is a value add to their community.

One of the main reasons I don't want to accept money for this project is because I'm having fun with it and I don't want it to be a job. And if I am forced to stop working on it, all it does is free up my time. I also don't have to worry about catering to one crowd or the other. I do appreciate the fans of the game that have been really positive about what I'm trying to do, and I understand the concern that if I don't try to "fix it" that no one ever will.

I wish this site had threadmarks because I've said it multiple times, but I did reach out to the mods first. Because of how "fast" I was finishing updates, I felt like I was spamming the OG thread, which has relatively low traffic. They discussed it amongst themselves and advised me to make this thread. If they decide to take it down in the future, than that is totally fine with me.
It is very rare to find true honesty on this pirate site, and even tho I initially had my reservations about your effort, I now completely get your point of view and motives.

I know you are not taking support, but if you ever were to do it, I'd like to chime in with a couple of bucks.

I still worry about your effort, as I understand you're not creating new renders and depend completely on the old ones or the ones the OG releases (if ever), but I have to say that I admire the passion you're investing in a game you truly believe in.

bluerubber

Apr 29, 2019
I think only two of the ones I listed are engine remakes, the rest are on the same engine and have their own game thread and also explicitly titled "fan made" in their title just like this one is labeled. The point is, it is not the same dev and does deserve it's own thread just like others do. Even simple mods get their own threads often times.

exsomon

May 11, 2020
will earlier cgs improved with fan made images
30+ days tracy model is more curvier than the early ones,
and what will happen when u reach actual game?
updates are twice a year so next one will be in june at least,
by that time u reach day 12 at least

chipsiup

Aug 12, 2016
One of the main reasons I don't want to accept money for this project is because I'm having fun with it and I don't want it to be a job. So if I am forced to stop working on it, all it does is free up my time. I also don't have to worry about catering to one crowd or the other. I do appreciate the fans of the game that have been really positive about what I'm trying to do, and I understand the concern that if I don't try to "fix it" that no one ever will.

I wish this site had threadmarks because I've said it multiple times, but I did reach out to the mods about this first. Because of how "fast" I was finishing updates, I felt like I was spamming the OG thread, which has relatively low traffic. They discussed it amongst themselves and advised me to make this one. If they decide to take it down in the future, than that is totally fine with me.
Are you willing to accept help on this project? I could help with things such as fixing the grammar and spelling issues, suggestions on pictures/assets that can be repurposed, etc?

Reactions: Palos69

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
Are you willing to accept help on this project? I could help with things such as fixing the grammar and spelling issues, suggestions on pictures/assets that can be repurposed, etc?
I think I’m okay for right now, but I might reach out to you later when things start to get more complex.

But feel free to share constructive feedback on behavior and scene flow. Another user sent me a list of things that didn’t make sense to them and gave reasons why. A lot of their suggestions will probably end up in the next update.

Reactions: Tunak23

Palos69

Game Developer
Feb 8, 2021
Android version
I'll release an Android version with the next update. I've never done it before, so there may be a learning curve for me.

will earlier cgs improved with fan made images
30+ days tracy model is more curvier than the early ones,
and what will happen when u reach actual game?
updates are twice a year so next one will be in june at least,
by that time u reach day 12 at least
No new renders will be made unless someone wants to make them. There are ways I can manipulate images through the engine, so I do have some tools, but we may have to rely on suspension of disbelief. I won't be mixing older renders with newer ones when constructing new scenes, though, so hopefully that will prevent it from being too jarring.

If I catch up to the original game, than I will simply stop development until they update. As crazy as it sounds, I do have a New Game+ idea outlined with a relatively novel concept for the genre. However, I'm concerned that writing an ending would actually damage his income, so I'm hesitant to implement anything in that regard until the game is officially abandoned or a reasonable amount of time has passed where we can assume so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tunak23
4.00 star(s) 2 Votes