Currently making a game, might need some pointers

Anorak

Feb 28, 2017
So I am currently in the process of making a game. I am the writer for the thing, and I have an artist, programmer & even composer on board. The pointers I need right now isn't in regards to developing the game, but rather how to publish it, benefit from it, where to post it, and all that.

Like, one of my questions would be in which forum to post it once I have the first playable version out? It looks to be a few months away yet since I do want there to be enough to do in it rather than like a 2 minute demo. Many of the games have a first reply saying 'moved to games', so I figure it's posted somewhere else first and a mod moves it there?

Another question would be, what are some reasonable patreon services, and when can I start it? I assume I'd start a patreon when the first version is out, but making it earlier could help a tiny bit (assuming I will even get any traction) to help paying my artist (who I am paying, no bullshit 'hopes of getting shared revenues in the future' which is essentially just working for free until then). It isn't so much for me to get money, as it is help so that I can pay the artist.

First time I've tried developing something like this, or even working with an artist. Any like step by step on things I should probably keep in mind would be greatly appreciated, and the general how-to.

Also, I am making something I feel is sorely lacking here: A Final Fantasy game (specifically FF7). Theres some nude and clothed sprites made for now, as the game is very early in it's production.

Reactions: RandomMorde

IceCreamParty

Game Developer
Jun 18, 2021
So I am currently in the process of making a game. I am the writer for the thing, and I have an artist, programmer & even composer on board. The pointers I need right now aren't in regards to developing the game, but rather how to publish it, benefit from it, where to post it, and all that.

Like, one of my questions would be in which forum to post it once I have the first playable version out? It looks to be a few months away yet since I do want there to be enough to do in it rather than like a 2 minute demo. Many of the games have a first reply saying 'moved to games', so I figure it's posted somewhere else first and a mod moves it there?

Another question would be, what are some reasonable patreon services, and when can I start it? I assume I'd start a patreon when the first version is out, but making it earlier could help a tiny bit (assuming I will even get any traction) to help paying my artist (who I am paying, no bullshit 'hopes of getting shared revenues in the future' which is essentially just working for free until then). It isn't so much for me to get money, as it is help so that I can pay the artist.

First time I've tried developing something like this, or even working with an artist. Any like step by step on things I should probably keep in mind would be greatly appreciated, and the general how-to.

Also, I am making something I feel is sorely lacking here: A Final Fantasy game (specifically FF7). Theres some nude and clothed sprites made for now, as the game is very early in it's production.
As I see it, there is no "magic secret".

Once you have the version of your game, you submit the request for it to be posted. There are very simple parameters.
It's good that you have goals and ambitions, but don't get too set in expectations. And don't wait until you have "everything perfect" to release a game because you will be modifying things after different updates.
You will always have an audience that likes your game, and another that will want you to change 800 things.
Never try to please everyone, you will destroy your creativity trying something you can't achieve.
Best regards and good luck!

Patreon starts when you want.

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
Few things I wish I knew before I started:
Make a twitter account and tease images there pre-release. (I made twitter account way too late, because of my hate of social media)
You can also do that on deviantart and slushe, but twitter is the biggest audience.
Make a thread on this forum with some structure: Characters, story premise, plans etc. to get people excited.
Make a discord server for people to give you feedback.

dingo4life

Oct 20, 2016
Don't make another 0.1 on Patreon, actually have your basic game premise in your demo, is it all about picking magical berries to empower yourself, get the at least the first berry picking and empower session in. Obviously this is just an example, but so many games talk about these grand ideas and how they want to be a sandbox but end up being like 30 mins of total railroading for example. You need to make your direction clear, otherwise people are gonna play it once, forget and move on.

Secondly. As the saying goes. Advertise like a shameless whore.
Here, Twitter, other sites, and try to build a community.
Don't disappear for a month with no update. If you know something is about to come up, say it and warn about delays. People are surprisingly willing to crowd around someone who shows just a bit of 'tregrity.

Anorak

Feb 28, 2017
As I see it, there is no "magic secret".

Once you have the version of your game, you submit the request for it to be posted. There are very simple parameters.
It's good that you have goals and ambitions, but don't get too set in expectations. And don't wait until you have "everything perfect" to release a game because you will be modifying things after different updates.
You will always have an audience that likes your game, and another that will want you to change 800 things.
Never try to please everyone, you will destroy your creativity trying something you can't achieve.
Best regards and good luck!

Patreon starts when you want.
Thank you for the reply. I am not going to make the entire game before posting, it will come in updates. But I do want there to be enough content to get a feel for how it'd play out and the level of art and animation that will be present.
Where would you say I'd post it though, or where would i post the request for it to be posted? (Agh, my head!)

Reactions: IceCreamParty

Anorak

Feb 28, 2017
Few things I wish I knew before I started:
Make a twitter account and tease images there pre-release. (I made twitter account way too late, because of my hate of social media)
You can also do that on deviantart and slushe, but twitter is the biggest audience.
Make a thread on this forum with some structure: Characters, story premise, plans etc. to get people excited.
Make a discord server for people to give you feedback.
Twitter isn't a bad idea, but... Uhm... Could I ask really stupid questions regarding twitter?
Do I just make an account and start posting? Will it be found like that? Or do I tag someone or something else? I have almost literally never used twitter before.

Empiric

Throbbing Member
Respected User
Game Developer
Jan 13, 2020
Twitter isn't a bad idea, but... Uhm... Could I ask really stupid questions regarding twitter?
Do I just make an account and start posting? Will it be found like that? Or do I tag someone or something else? I have almost literally never used twitter before.
Yeah me neither. Game devs here usually follow each other and retweet shit, so you get exposure to the followers they already have. + you link your twitter on every other site you post on. The start is probably the hardest if you are not some already established artist..
You can basically think of twitter as of a virus. Some people catch you, some of them infect others and they spread you further. How fast usually depends on how well you can sell yourself.

IceCreamParty

Game Developer
Jun 18, 2021
Thank you for the reply. I am not going to make the entire game before posting, it will come in updates. But I do want there to be enough content to get a feel for how it'd play out and the level of art and animation that will be present.
Where would you say I'd post it though, or where would i post the request for it to be posted? (Agh, my head!)
Here is the related post https://f95zone.to/threads/game-uploading-rules-2019-06-25.524/