Daz Cutting a hole through an object (DaZ + Hexagon)

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
I would like to create a hole in the ground in the garden of a house for a pool that comes from another asset.
The geometry editor in Daz won't help because the ground doesn't have enough polygons. What's the easiest way?
Send that pool and ground to Hexagon and use a boolean operation in surface modeling?
Is it OK if the pool bottom is in negative coordinates or is it better to move the whole scene up?

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
If D-former and geometry editor don't work, Hexagon could create your hole. I remember a Sickyield Hexagon tutorial about creating a door in a wall.

But before that, if it's just a flat ground, you could just delete it and re-create it like you want with some primitives panes while copy/pasting the surface of said ground.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
If D-former and geometry editor don't work, Hexagon could create your hole. I remember a Sickyield Hexagon tutorial about creating a door in a wall.

But before that, if it's just a flat ground, you could just delete it and re-create it like you want with some primitives panes while copy/pasting the surface of said ground.
D-former will not help because the ground used has too few divisions. And increasing SubD doesn't do the same as creating a primitive with many divisions. So the only possibility is probably Hexagon, or as you write, using more primitives and copying surfaces.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
It seems the easiest way is to use a geometry editor, erase some parts of the original ground, create a new primitive with enough subdvisions, copy the surface to the primitive, and cut a hole into the primitive using the geometry editor.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
Would mesh grabber work?
I use a mesh grabber for small adjustments to clothes, hair, etc. but I don't think it's suitable for something like digging through the surface.
It's quite an old thread, in the end I solved them by cutting off a part of the original ground using a geometry editor, adding primitives and copying textures.

probably_dave

Jun 3, 2017
I use a mesh grabber for small adjustments to clothes, hair, etc. but I don't think it's suitable for something like digging through the surface.
It's quite an old thread, in the end I solved them by cutting off a part of the original ground using a geometry editor, adding primitives and copying textures.
Good to hear you managed to get the desired effect.

Didn't notice the date of the original post, and was going to reply with the below. I'll reply anyway, incase anyone else has
similar issues.

Depending on the textures used, you could use a transparency map.

Below is a very rough example:
cut_out_example_1.png
cut_out_example_2.png

Steps:
1) Select the surface you want the hole to be using the surface selector tool
2) In the Surfaces tab, go to Base > Base Colour > The texture box > Browse (make note of the name of the texture)
3) Copy and paste the texture. Name it something unique and clear like trans_map.jpg
4) Open with your favourite image editor tool
5) Fill white and colour in black where you want the hole to be. Save. Using the UV view (where you change cameras can help to understand where to position the view, but if it's a complex texture, it might be a lot of trail and error. Also, if the mappings overlap, you may need to create a different surface for the area you want the hole). Example: rtrans_map.jpeg
6) In the Surface tab, go to Geometry > Cutout opacity and select the down arrow and Browse. Select the file you just saved
7) Parts of the surface will now be transparent and appear like a hole
8) You can use the horizontal and vertical adjustments under Geometry to move the hole to the position you like if it's not in a suitable place

This method can be used in particular for flat surfaces. It becomes more difficult if the object is 3D as the hole will need to be on both sides of the surface. Also, a nice benefit is you can remove the hole by selecting None under Cutout opacity.

Note, the images shown definitely need more work, as the sides aren't properly cut out but this was just as a quick example created in 5 mins.