Mod Ren'Py Cybernetic Seduction [Ep.4 Part 2] Multi-Mod [AB]

Conan26062001

Mar 7, 2022
I get an error talking with the bartender Natalie the first night out with Liam.

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
File "game/episodes/episode1.rpy", line 3209, in script
menu:
File "game/screens.rpy", line 223, in execute
File "game/screens.rpy", line 229, in execute
File "game/screens.rpy", line 230, in execute
File "game/screens.rpy", line 231, in execute
File "game/screens.rpy", line 232, in execute
NameError: Name 'abnoff' is not defined.

Reactions: Valeck and IAmAB

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016
You know, a really weird thing that I've noticed in quite a few games?
When there are scientists or medical doctors in a game and for some reason they are called "Dr. Bob" or "Dr. Kathy" by everybody.

The only people with a doctor title I've ever encountered, who are called by their given names, are paediatricians sometimes or morons like Dr. Phil.
I wonder is this just some weird mistake by programming Ren'py where instead of family names given names are used, or is that something that is common practice in some countries where the devs of those games hail from.

Deleted member 1571716

Conversation Conqueror
Aug 7, 2019
When there are scientists or medical doctors in a game and for some reason they are called "Dr. Bob" or "Dr. Kathy" by everybody.

The only people with a doctor title I've ever encountered, who are called by their given names, are paediatricians sometimes or morons like Dr. Phil.
I wonder is this just some weird mistake by programming Ren'py where instead of family names given names are used, or is that something that is common practice in some countries where the devs of those games hail from.
I just call my doc by her given name or just 'Doc'. That's just me. As for your question, I really don't know. I'm in the US and don't know if it's common place or not.

Valeck

Aug 16, 2017
I get an error talking with the bartender Natalie the first night out with Liam.

While running game code:
menu:
I'm having the same error

Sennistrasz

Oct 6, 2020

I think it's to do with many games not giving their characters last names at all.

Mar 25, 2019
UPDATED!

Sorry for the wait, yesterday I didn't expect to pass the whole day with my family and some friends so there was no way I would update the mod in front of them lol. That's also the reason why I didn't give any info till today.

Hope you guys enjoy the game and the mod. Take care as always!
~AB
Can you update the android port too pls ?

Patsy221

Feb 10, 2018
Redownloaded several times and still getting that error, I wouldn't mind if it was a mundane error but the error forced you through the choice that removes affection point.

Please take a look at the script again, here is the error message

While running game code:
menu:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
menu:
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1688, in execute
choice = renpy.exports.menu(choices, self.set, args, kwargs, item_arguments)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 1060, in menu
rv = renpy.store.menu(new_items)
File "renpy/exports.py", line 1296, in display_menu
rv = renpy.ui.interact(mouse='menu', type=type, roll_forward=roll_forward)
File "renpy/ui.py", line 298, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3325, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3737, in interact_core
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 568, in visit_all
d.visit_all(callback, seen)
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 436, in visit_all
callback(self)
File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3737, in <lambda>
root_widget.visit_all(lambda i : i.per_interact())
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 447, in per_interact
self.update()
File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 637, in update
self.screen.function(**self.scope)
File "renpy/text/text.py", line 1574, in __init__
self.set_text(text, scope, substitute)
File "renpy/text/text.py", line 1693, in set_text
i, did_sub = renpy.substitutions.substitute(i, scope, substitute)
File "renpy/substitutions.py", line 270, in substitute
s = formatter.vformat(s, (), kwargs)
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 563, in vformat
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 585, in _vformat
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 646, in get_field
File "/home/tom/ab/renpy-build/tmp/install.linux-x86_64/lib/python2.7/string.py", line 605, in get_value
File "renpy/substitutions.py", line 228, in __getitem__
raise NameError("Name '{}' is not defined.".format(key))

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
Cybernetic Seduction Ep.2
Tue Apr 25 12:00:11 2023

Reactions: IAmAB

CamaroFan432

Mar 13, 2020
Had that error, too. But found a way past it. If you open the episode1.rpy file in notepad, search for "abnoff" (without the "") and delete the "[abnoff]" altogether, nothing more or less. It's just a hotfix to get the choice menu show up again instead of the error. Disclaimer: I don't have a clue, what that variable is normally supposed to do. My knowledge with renpy and python are too low and I'm playing this game as of today for the first time. My best guess is, that it was a typo and should show the effect of the choice, which is most likely negativ from the looks of it in the rpy file. More knowledgeable people (I mean AB) can tell and help more.

PunkHooligan

Onion Ninja
Donor
Aug 10, 2020
odd question but Nina's Annoyance, is that a stat I should be earning or avoiding?
+1. Usually the good choice is green and the bad is red. But this one is yellow unless I'm colorblind. Logic says to avoid annoyance, but I've seen so much weird stuff that I can't be sure of outcome 100%.

MILF_Craver

Apr 10, 2023
+1. Usually the good choice is green and the bad is red. But this one is yellow unless I'm colorblind. Logic says to avoid annoyance, but I've seen so much weird stuff that I can't be sure of outcome 100%.
Maybe they should just tell us at start of the game what the stats in yellow do
and maybe how it changes the character interaction with the MC

ShiroOkami2

Mar 14, 2020

Anyone with a Ph.D. or any doctoral degree (even non medical) are referred to as Dr. in the professional world, do think they've earned the right to the title given how long they have studied, but then again only people that need to adhere to that (title etiquette) are their colleagues and peers in the professional world. But some do go around introducing themselves as Dr. and expecting to be addressed as such...not a country thing its a personality thing (vain and narcissistic)

Jul 12, 2020
Anyone with a Ph.D. or any doctoral degree (even non medical) are referred to as Dr. in the professional world, do think they've earned the right to the title given how long they have studied, but then again only people that need to adhere to that (title etiquette) are their colleagues and peers in the professional world. But some do go around introducing themselves as Dr. and expecting to be addressed as such...not a country thing its a personality thing (vain and narcissistic)
If i understand the question it's more "ingame" they say Dr. Micheal instead of Dr. Schumacher.
And yes Micheal Schumacher was no real life Ph.D.
In my country they would say Dr. Schumacher., exception would be indeed those who work with young Children to make them more friendly. just like in school ther first 3+6 years (till 12Yo) it would be master Micheal, from 12yo it would be master Schumacher and Prof(essor) Schumacher later on in uni even for PhD's.

Reactions: Chrisdarock19

DarkDaemonX

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2020
If i understand the question it's more "ingame" they say Dr. Micheal instead of Dr. Schumacher.
In my country they would say Dr. Schumacher., exception would be indeed those who work with young Children to make them more friendly. just like in school ther first 3+6 years (till 12Yo) it would be master Micheal, from 12yo it would be master Schumacher and Prof(essor) Schumacher later on in uni even for PhD's.
In what country are you expected to call your teachers "master"?

ShiroOkami2

Mar 14, 2020

If you read it he says "The only people with a doctor title I've ever encountered" So yes and no, its a question that relates to both the in-game events and not. Even going as far as to ask if titles used in game are linked to dev's countries of origin... "master Schumacher and Prof(essor) Schumacher" agree they are used at uni ( and depending where you are many more titles), at teaching institutes not normally used in work environments like pharma labs, or dig sites etc...he is asking if the use of those titles relate to the devs country, I simply explained why they have the tilte & said it does not correlated with the country more of who the person is or how the dev is trying to portray the person

Where I'm from the use of the title Dr. whould be used interchangabley with Mr, Mrs or Miss to address and medical doctors (dentists, dematoligist, paediatrician) not matter what age range they are treating unless the doctor themselves say just call me boejangle

Last edited:

Sennistrasz

Oct 6, 2020
I think this is missing the point, which is that titles/salutations like Mr. or Dr. go with the last name and not the first name, i.e. it's Stephen or Dr. Hawking, but not Dr. Stephen.

Reactions: Big Horney Bull