Daz (D-Force ) Prevent a piece of clothing from falling apart?

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
How to prevent a piece of clothing from falling apart?
What I have a problem with is not the "explosion" effect.
I use a bikini top, which is held by the figure in her hand by the strap.
And the result is like the strap not holding the weight of the rest of the bikini and tearing off.
It's a product that wasn't originally designed as a d-force product and where I added a d-force modifier.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
What you probably need to do is to adjust the dForce settings on the top. For example, you probably want to increase the "stretch stiffness", since this will tend to make the straps want to stretch less.

That's assuming, of course, that the strap is actually attached to the rest of the top - you sometimes see cases where items that aren't designed for dForce are created in multiple pieces that aren't really attached to one another, but just look like they are.

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
What you probably need to do is to adjust the dForce settings on the top. For example, you probably want to increase the "stretch stiffness", since this will tend to make the straps want to stretch less.

That's assuming, of course, that the strap is actually attached to the rest of the top - you sometimes see cases where items that aren't designed for dForce are created in multiple pieces that aren't really attached to one another, but just look like they are.
I think this is one of the cases of clothes made of multiple pieces that are not actually tied together. I tried to play with parameters like stiffness and damping, but it didn't help.
Is there a quick easy workaronund in Daz Studio, how to sew the pieces together?

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
I think this is one of the cases of clothes made of multiple pieces that are not actually tied together. I tried to play with parameters like stiffness and damping, but it didn't help.
Is there a quick easy workaronund in Daz Studio, how to sew the pieces together?
If they aren't sewed together, then the two pieces will just fall apart from one another. If it's a stiffness issue, then the strap will stretch out real thin. What asset is it? Maybe I can figure it out for you.

There are a couple of potential workarounds if the two are separate. One is to add a "dForce Dynamic Surface Add-on". This is a little gizzy that's designed to do things like hold the opening of a jacket closed or whatever, but it could potentially be used to tack the strap to the bra. Another is to tweak the geometry of the strap so that it intersects with the bra - sometimes that will cause the two parts to "stick together." Of course, sometimes it causes them to explode... LOL

lawfullame

Game Developer
Aug 6, 2019
If they aren't sewed together, then the two pieces will just fall apart from one another. If it's a stiffness issue, then the strap will stretch out real thin. What asset is it? Maybe I can figure it out for you.

There are a couple of potential workarounds if the two are separate. One is to add a "dForce Dynamic Surface Add-on". This is a little gizzy that's designed to do things like hold the opening of a jacket closed or whatever, but it could potentially be used to tack the strap to the bra. Another is to tweak the geometry of the strap so that it intersects with the bra - sometimes that will cause the two parts to "stick together." Of course, sometimes it causes them to explode... LOL
It is X-Fashion Trendy Simple Bikini for Genesis 8 Female(s). Instead of Dforce, I use a mesh grabber because it's not that I need D-force for this piece of clothing often, so manual adjustment was an option.
But still, if you find a simple trick, it might come in handy.

Lstprod

Nov 28, 2020
Add a dforce Modifier Weight Node for your item and remove the influence weight on the part related to the straps and the straps (just do some grabber shits with it if needed). The rest of the bikini will continue to be simulated as desired but will remain attached to the part where you removed the influence with the weight node. If you don't know how, I can probably explain if I come back. Or send me a pm.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Add a dforce Modifier Weight Node for your item and remove the influence weight on the part related to the straps and the straps (just do some grabber shits with it if needed). The rest of the bikini will continue to be simulated as desired but will remain attached to the part where you removed the influence with the weight node. If you don't know how, I can probably explain if I come back. Or send me a pm.
Iirc I tried that and the parts still dislocated :unsure:.
I'm not sure there is way to do it without merging vertices.

Last edited:

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Iirc I tried that and the parts still dislocated :unsure:.
I'm not sure there is way to do it without merging vertices.
That's where the "dForce Dynamic Surface Add-on" possibly comes in - it allows you to "attach" two different vertices.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
That's where the "dForce Dynamic Surface Add-on" possibly comes in - it allows you to "attach" two different vertices.
Hmm, never used this mysterious add-on now you mention it.
Reading into that (there is indeed no doc at all :HideThePain:), if I understand well, it's about selecting 4 vertices and create a new polygone at thoses coordinates that act as the add-on 'bridge'. Since that bikini is disjointed in 4 parts, 4 times the pleasure. Not gonna lie a bit of work for a simple simulation lol.

For the curious:

barbult said:
How I got dForce Dynamic Surface Add-On working with polygons
@Mada posted several dForce Dynamic Surface Add-On tips in this thread, and she also used the technique in her House Brownie Outfit I purchased that outfit, and it was a good example of what dForce Dynamic Surface Add-On polygons should look like and how they should be positioned. She used them to hold a shirt closed, at the button locations, as if the shirt were really buttoned. This is a summary of what I learned from her generous tips. There may be better ways. I used Blender, and I am NOT a Blender expert, so I might have made things harder than necessary. These steps assume some basic knowledge of exporting and importing OBJ files in Daz Studio, using a modeler like Blender, and using the Transfer Utility.

1. Open the garment/object that you want to add the dForce Dynamic Surface Add-On to. In my case, I used the dForce Dynamic Surface Add-On to hold a shirt front closed, like Mada did in House Brownie.
  2. Change the Mesh Resolution of the object to Base and turn off Smoothing.
  3. Export the object as OBJ. I used the same export settings that I would use if creating morphs for the object.
  4. Import the OBJ in your modeler. I used Blender. I used the same import settings that I would use if morphing the object.
  5. In Blender, select the imported object, go to edit mode and vertex selection method.
  6. Select a vertex in one side of the shirt (e.g. the right side near the button).
  7. Shift-Select a vertex on the other side of the shirt (e.g. the left side of the shirt near the button hole).
  8. Shift-Select another vertex on the second side of the shirt (e.g. the left side of the shirt near the button hole).
  9. Shift-Select another vertex on the first side of the shirt (e.g. the right side near the button).
  10. Now you have four vertices of the shirt selected, two on one side of the shirt and two on the other side. Hit the F key to create a new polygon from these 4 vertices.
  11. Switch to face selection mode. Select ONLY the new polygon that you created.
  12. Hit Ctrl I to invert your selection. Now you have the entire garment selected and your new polygon is NOT selected.
  13. Delete all of the selected faces.
  14. Now you have only your new polygon left.
  15. Export that new polygon as an OBJ file. I used the same export settings I would use if exporting a modified mesh for morph creation.
  16. Return to Daz Studio and import the OBJ file containing your new polygon. I used the same import settings that I would use if importing a mesh for creating a morph (the same scale as used for exporting, etc.).
  17. Use the Transfer Utility to conform the new polygon to the original garment (Source: original garment, Target: new polygon object).
  18. With the polygon object selected in the Scene pane, Add dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface Add-On (Edit/Geometry menu).
  19. If the original garment didn't already have dForce Dynamic Surface(s), add dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface to it (Edit/Geometry menu).
  20. Return the Mesh Resolution to its original setting if you changed if from High Resolution to Base in step 2.
  21. Simulate and you should see that the new polygon dForce Dynamic Surface Add-On holds the two sides of the shirt together, because two vertices were on one side and two vertices are on the other side, preventing it from falling open at that location.
  22. Turn Smoothing on for the original garment if you wish.
I did this from memory. I hope I didn't forget any critical steps!

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Hmm, never used this mysterious add-on now you mention it.
Reading into that (there is indeed no doc at all :HideThePain:), if I understand well, it's about selecting 4 vertices and create a new polygone at thoses coordinates that act as the add-on 'bridge'. Since that bikini is disjointed in 4 parts, 4 times the pleasure. Not gonna lie a bit of work for a simple simulation lol.
Hey, I never said it was easy. The trick with the add-on is that the vertices of the add-on have to be EXACTLY in the same location as the vertices that it's supposed to "grab."

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Hey, I never said it was easy. The trick with the add-on is that the vertices of the add-on have to be EXACTLY in the same location as the vertices that it's supposed to "grab."
It's not that hard either but it's rather tedious. I read about writing the poly directly within an obj file, feel it's even more tedious, but maybe could open the door for a Daz script workaround. Tried also to 'bridge' the mesh parts with Zbrush via Zmodeler, looks fine until the mesh explode first second \o/.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
You are not learning. I've done this with a lot of old hairs. Hair is way much more complex than a bra. Learn from Daz's official forum, kid.

With any non-deforce Bikini top, I can make it hold by strap without falling apart in 5 minutes.

You are defending yourself without learning, then no one can help you.
Oh boy...
Maybe you shouldn't judge people after reading just one sentence lol.

Lstprod

Nov 28, 2020
I admit that I don't understand why it doesn't work either. The part attached to the straps should act as a support for the rest and not move. The same goes for the straps which should not move. Then I specified to be available to explain what to do if necessary, but I will not force it. But maybe it's a weird bikini.. don't know.

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
Anyway, I wonder if using instead of polygon could do the trick, it removes the need for a modeler in the middle with a simple script (in attach). Gonna try when I got time o/

01.png 02.png

I admit that I don't understand why it doesn't work either. The part attached to the straps should act as a support for the rest and not move. The same goes for the straps which should not move. Then I specified to be available to explain what to do if necessary, but I will not force it. But maybe it's a weird bikini.. don't know.
It's because it's an old crappy asset lol. There is no part "attached" to the strap, every part in the mesh is independant and not connected to the rest. If you run a simulation, every part fall apart independantly. Hence the need too adds polygons as addon that 'stick' them together, and then run simulation as a whole.

Last edited:

Lstprod

Nov 28, 2020
It's because it's an old crappy asset lol. There is no part "attached" to the strap, every part in the mesh is independant and not connected to the rest. If you run a simulation, every part fall apart independantly. Hence the need too adds polygons as addon that 'stick' them together, and then run simulation as a whole.
It does not change anything. As long as your bikini cup doesn't fall apart then it should work.... If the cup is made with a lot of separated part... well good luck :)

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
It does not change anything. As long as your bikini cup doesn't fall apart then it should work.... If the cup is made with a lot of separated part... well good luck :)
Hmm each time I tried to let the bikini falls from ~1 meter to the ground resulted in failures. Possible I made errors/something I don't know, can't see this until this week end. Won't mind if you show me the light tho, that's the I used.

Lstprod

Nov 28, 2020
I tested the bikini ... Obviously it's boring to position but we can achieve nice little things, i think.

With me the lower part does not come off completely, maybe with a longer simulation. But since I have no idea of your final image, I didn't work on it or on its positioning (I have other things to do) ... but I managed to do that.

bikini dforce.png

And here is my weight map ( It's done quickly, I have surely withdrawn too much)

04.jpg

Anyway, that's what I meant in my first answer.

Reactions: ariyoshi123

Deleted member 1121028

Dec 28, 2018
I tested the bikini ... Obviously it's boring to position but we can achieve nice little things, i think.

With me the lower part does not come off completely, maybe with a longer simulation. But since I have no idea of your final image, I didn't work on it or on its positioning (I have other things to do) ... but I managed to do that.

And here is my weight map ( It's done quickly, I have surely withdrawn too much)

Anyway, that's what I meant in my first answer.
Yeah you basically froze parts into air. I thought you had some dirty tricks in mind lol.
Simulation seems way too short and you can't really froze other parts (or it gonna come even weirder).
Result is... not really something you want to render. Even messing with mesh grabber for hour I'm doubtful, not sure that the right path imo.

Got it working tho, just not the way I would hope but hey.
Tried to found more lazy approach, like 'solidify' the mesh into one compact one, but dforce just hate it (explode to any collision, self or not). Not sure why but gonna maybe figure out once I less drunk :ROFLMAO: