Seeking Dark games you can get lost in. Only Top Quality stuff!

Demzy

Oct 23, 2017
Hello everyone, this thread will be a list of some of the games that immersed me into the dark moody kind of atmosphere that I like most. As well as a request for other games in the same vein. Most of these games share three things:
  1. a dark, sometimes melancholic or even disturbing plot that must be well written. (nothing breaks immersion like characters acting out of character for plot convenience, or cheap cliche contrivances)
  2. A solid art direction, to include beautiful environments, interesting character designs, many of these games even have sick-ass menus.
  3. And most often overlooked but in my opinion no less important is a solid sound design, good music, good use of VA if present, fucking RAIN you know what I mean. cD4d_ZpqA5dEqfdXWa7kdvUOeIDjIjdsHvZUEwORNbQ.jpg
[Image by Sebastian Duran]

Lets get into my recommendations

First and certainly foremost is Pale Carnations There's not much left to be said about this game that hasn't been said by everyone else. Its dark in a beautiful way, and it'll make you feel things that perhaps you didn't expect to feel from an AVN . Yes Hana is the best character, and yes I will fight you.

Up next is Eternum. This game has a variety of environments ranging from cyber-punk to victorian, they're all moody AF heck even the main town where the characters live is just constantly showered with rain. The music is good, and the characters are cool. Yes Luna is... you know what? Just assume Im gonna use my favorite character for all these banners.
If you're expecting to get a ton of smut here this ins't the game, its actually a really slow burn but if you have the patience of an adult it will be worth it in my opinion.

Thirdly we have Deviant Anomalies a dark detective tale with maybe the most smut on this list so far and a hell of a dark story. Most of the plot takes place at night, in a dark city full of crime, and its fucking awesome. Idk what else to say.

The next few games I won't elaborate on but are all nicely atmospheric

Detective Necro
Once in a Lifetime
City of Broken Dreamers
Hardcoded
The Genesis Order

There's definitely a ton I'm forgetting, I'll be sure to update this as memory (or the latest updates page) allows.

Please give me your recommendations for dark moody games that you can get sucked into, I find them rather cozy... is that crazy?
Anyway, cheers!

kharza

Jan 23, 2018
I would definitely recommend Saya no uta. The sexual content in it isn´t that great, but the writing, story and atmosphere are all top notch.

I will say though that Once in a lifetime seems weird for me to be included in this list. I wouldn´t consider it dark at all. It´s more of a goofy fun game. I don´t know about the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demzy

Hahn1900

Jan 3, 2021
Hm strange list... pale carnations, eternum, once in a lifetime... these games are everything, but surely dont have a "dark" approach.

City of broken dreamers fit though...

well, i for one think your "criterias" and your list of games doesnt match that good... kinda misleading.

ShamanLab

[Industry News] Weird behavior (c)
Game Developer
Dec 16, 2019
Facepalm for "Hardcoded". This game is scam.