Unity DatingSim/VisualNovel template DevLog

Elvishious

Afterglow Developer
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
I wanted to add more than one way to tell the story (dialogue) in the game. I'll continue to trying to come up with systems that can help the story flow by adding more tools for narrative purpose.

I decided to add an email system. My prerequisites was: reading a mail that can contain text/image, must go through the save system, making a "intuitive enough" UI template.

I started by creating the Mail scriptable object :
1550996358956.png
With that I had all my raw data for a basic mail. My first step is to make it "savable", in other words, making it Serializable.
I created an object called MailCollection that store all emails in the project. It also contain all the logic to Convert the mail to something I can save/load : SerializedMail.
SerializedMail contain only the bool value of the mail (it would be useless to save anything else).
1550997634330.png

The next step was to find a way to display that on screen.

I decided to use the MinigameSystem for that, so i can code some behaviours more freely.

After a few other lines of code, here's the end result:
Mail System.gif

vnAdult

Dec 11, 2018
How will you handle the content sharing if you get a team(artists, story)? Will you be the code owner and they own the art?

Elvishious

Afterglow Developer
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
How will you handle the content sharing if you get a team(artists, story)? Will you be the code owner and they own the art?
For me that's the best option for a first collab, but that need to be discuss with the team in a first hand.

Reactions: Dr. M.O.M.

klimbo

Feb 25, 2019
Ummm.... after 20 years of multi lingual web site development, from my point of view you are missing a point.

Let say, we had 1200 word short vn. We release it and everyone was happy and we got French fan which he was a good translator and want to translate for free.

We crate a text file, send to him then he translate it and send back us, we put a 1200 in a unity node editor ?

Or we send a json file, receive a json file. volia. job done.

For some jobs visual editing is not good.

I'm using 3rd party tools for my dialogues and they also using node based editor. I skip them and trigger dialogues from script much more easy and very flexible to rehash everything
thank you for this helpful informations

Taboo Story

Jan 1, 2019
Hey, love the new mailsystem. My i recommand a text message system on the phone aswell?
Would this be availible to purchase in the future maybe?

Elvishious

Afterglow Developer
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
Hey, love the new mailsystem. My i recommand a text message system on the phone aswell?
Technically already implemented, I just have to change the interactable (here the computer) by a UI button.
All that need to be done after is just remaking a new UI for the phone.
Would this be availible to purchase in the future maybe?
Yeah I would like to do that, but I need to work to make it more user friendly and remake the dialogue system from zero (since I'm basing myself on someone else work for the dialogue system)
That would help me to implement the rollback feature so needed in Unity games.

Last edited:

MrWeaz

Aug 29, 2019
Would LOVE for this to be available, always struggle to get my own systems working properly. Any news on when it is going to be available?

Chemmy

Jun 10, 2018
Would LOVE for this to be available, always struggle to get my own systems working properly. Any news on when it is going to be available?
This game has been available for some time now, here is the link and name, Afterglow, keep in mind that it's still new and there is no sexual content in the game yet.

cooperdk

Engaged Member
Jul 23, 2017
Why actually make a new engine when there are numerous for Unity already, for example NaniNovel and a variety of others - it's likely that all of them offer what you define here, and all of them have an easy visual interface. Some work with actual 3D characters and/or scenes.

Some of these engines are free.

Elvishious

Afterglow Developer
Game Developer
Mar 9, 2018
Why actually make a new engine when there are numerous for Unity already, for example NaniNovel and a variety of others - it's likely that all of them offer what you define here, and all of them have an easy visual interface. Some work with actual 3D characters and/or scenes.

Some of these engines are free.
That's a conversation I would have liked to have with you 3 years ago because the first non-Beta release for NaniNovel was in May 2020:
1621704435870.png