DAZ 3D rendering is too slow

jon95

Game Developer
Sep 29, 2018
I'm a total daz beginner and this is my first time rendering with daz3d but it took about 2 hours to make this simple scene
m1.png
is there a way to make the rendering faster. also i'm making a vn game so how can reduce the image size without affecting the quality or is it ok to use images with size above 2 MB
ps. i'm using a laptop lenovo z51

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
It's kind of impossible to even say if the render is indeed to slow, because we don't have any information about the hardware. If you render with the CPU instead of the GPU for example, the 2 hours are in fact quite fast.

Making Daz render faster isn't really that simple though. Of course the easiest way is too buy better and faster hardware, specifically a better GPU, but since you're on a laptop that's not possible. Another option is to optimize your scene, which means adjust the lighting for example. But giving you specific tips isn't really possible either, because it highly depends on the scene you want to render.

jon95

Game Developer
Sep 29, 2018
It's kind of impossible to even say if the render is indeed to slow, because we don't have any information about the hardware. If you render with the CPU instead of the GPU for example, the 2 hours are in fact quite fast.

Making Daz render faster isn't really that simple though. Of course the easiest way is too buy better and faster hardware, specifically a better GPU, but since you're on a laptop that's not possible. Another option is to optimize your scene, which means adjust the lighting for example. But giving you specific tips isn't really possible either, because it highly depends on the scene you want to render.
thanks for replying, it gave me a better view about the problem, my lap has cpu intel core i7 2.40 ghz and gpu is amd radeom r9+intell hd graphics 5500

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
There's your problem then, because Iray rendering is nVidia only, so everything you render is done by the CPU. So it's naturally a lot slower than even a basic entry level nVidia graphics card.

jon95

Game Developer
Sep 29, 2018
There's your problem then, because Iray rendering is nVidia only, so everything you render is done by the CPU. So it's naturally a lot slower than even a basic entry level nVidia graphics card.
now i found the problem looks like i'll need a good pc if i wanted to continue rendering. thanks for your help

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Don't blame the assets. Daz assets render much quicker in a real render engine, it's just the Daz studio program that is slow.

Reactions: jon95

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
Yeah, if you just export your daz character and render it in blender, then your AMD card will work just fine, that and if you follow this video, you can speed up renders even more.

jon95

Game Developer
Sep 29, 2018
Don't blame the assets. Daz assets render much quicker in a real render engine, it's just the Daz studio program that is slow.

Yeah, if you just export your daz character and render it in blender, then your AMD card will work just fine, that and if you follow this video, you can speed up renders even more.
thanks guys this was of great help to me

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
Just to make it clear, that is NOT a solution for your problem. Yes you can move your scenes to Blender and yes in theory you can render them with Blender as well, but that's not the purpose of the plugin. If you move Daz files to Blender, you're just trading one problem for another, since the plugin was meant for rigging Daz assets, but not using Blender as a substitute for Iray. Especially the materials of you figure will not be as they should be for example.

In other words, if you want to use Daz and still want to use your AMD GPU, the only viable way is to get plugins like Luxus or Reality and the program Luxrender. But even that's not really a solution, because the renderer used here is endless, which means it only stops when you do it manually.

Saki_Sliz

May 3, 2018
To summarize:
The problem or goal, is to make nice renders for a project.
Current solution: daz, which allows for quick character creation and an almost straight forward process to render.
The issue: daz is rendering on cpu only due to incompatible AMD hardware.

How do we still make nice renders?
  • Hardware upgrade (Nvidia GPU)
  • plugin workaround (Luxus or others)
  • software workaround (aka using blender)
  • different software entirely (not using daz at all)
Each of these I would say are valid solutions to the issue, but if we want to talk about a "real" solution, that implies that there is one right answer, but this isn't a math problem, there is no right answer, or best answer. Yes, probably the right answer would be to have daz working, but I would also argue that the best answer is to use what ever gives you the best results. I've been known to argue how Blender's cycles beats daz default iray in just about every metric, and matches or supersedes most other commercially or free renderers <$2k and trades punches with the bleeding edge and production industry.

Last edited:
Reactions: jon95 and KinneyX23

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
the R9 is a capable card, so Blender with the ProRender plugin might be a solution.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017
Just to make it clear, that is NOT a solution for your problem. Yes you can move your scenes to Blender and yes in theory you can render them with Blender as well, but that's not the purpose of the plugin. If you move Daz files to Blender, you're just trading one problem for another, since the plugin was meant for rigging Daz assets, but not using Blender as a substitute for Iray. Especially the materials of you figure will not be as they should be for example.

In other words, if you want to use Daz and still want to use your AMD GPU, the only viable way is to get plugins like Luxus or Reality and the program Luxrender. But even that's not really a solution, because the renderer used here is endless, which means it only stops when you do it manually.

You bring up a good point. Daz went to a lot of trouble making their proprietary Iray materials not work in other 3D programs initially, but that problem has been overcome. That's not the only poor business decision that Daz has made.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
You bring up a good point. Daz went to a lot of trouble making their proprietary Iray materials not work in other 3D programs initially, but that problem has been overcome. That's not the only poor business decision that Daz has made.

You know that they actually never made it real?

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
the R9 is a capable card, so Blender with the ProRender plugin might be a solution.
Yes the ProRender is amazing, but the problem is that it needs a lot work after the Blender import to look good. And I really do mean A LOT. I've tried to work with Daz to Blender and the ProRender as well, paired with two Vega 64's and it was a nightmare. It worked (kind of), but the work required to configure the materials etc tops that of creating scenes in Daz and rendering them just with the CPU in this case by a lot. The entire endeavor with Blender, ProRender and the two Vega 64's ended with me buying a GTX1080 Ti at the time and getting rid of the Vega 64's. It's just a hell of a lot easier and in the end faster.

I mean sure there really is not right answer in this context, like Saki_Sliz said. All of the proposed solutions have their pros and cons. But with the amount of work required to work with Blender/ProRender as the rendering solution, it's imo a better idea to just "be happy" with the admittedly very slow rendering of the CPU and wait for a time, when there's the option to get a dedicated system that can be used to render with Iray on a GPU.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
Yes the ProRender is amazing, but the problem is that it needs a lot work after the Blender import to look good. And I really do mean A LOT. I've tried to work with Daz to Blender and the ProRender as well, paired with two Vega 64's and it was a nightmare. It worked (kind of), but the work required to configure the materials etc tops that of creating scenes in Daz and rendering them just with the CPU in this case by a lot. The entire endeavor with Blender, ProRender and the two Vega 64's ended with me buying a GTX1080 Ti at the time and getting rid of the Vega 64's. It's just a hell of a lot easier and in the end faster.

I mean sure there really is not right answer in this context, like Saki_Sliz said. All of the proposed solutions have their pros and cons. But with the amount of work required to work with Blender/ProRender as the rendering solution, it's imo a better idea to just "be happy" with the admittedly very slow rendering of the CPU and wait for a time, when there's the option to get a dedicated system that can be used to render with Iray on a GPU.
True, I haven't worked with prorender yet, so I don't know if it would work that way, but if someone just starts out, it might be a solution to make one skin prorender ready and just reuse it on other models (?).
I've also read about something like a prorender having an uber shader like Daz? I guess it'll still look different, but it might make working with prorender easier.

polywog

Forum Fanatic
May 19, 2017

Again you nailed the problem right on the head, "Daz Iray materials" are a nightmare to work with, but thanks to people like Sickle Yield, it's now possible to convert them for use in any industry standard render engine.

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm not sure if it's really worth it in the end. With all the work required to convert the materials as well, it can (especially if you're unexperienced) take longer to get it right than just use Iray with the CPU.

If you have the experience and know what to do, by all means go with Blender and ProRender if you don't want a nVidia card, because like I said that renderer is absolutely amazing.

jon95

Game Developer
Sep 29, 2018
A good artist just joined my team which saved me a lot of trouble :LOL: . now I'm not in a hurry about the slowness problem. I'll take my time to fix it while exploring the different ways that you mentioned. thanks for the advice everyone.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
You dont have to do Photorealistic renders. (which is what daz is really good at if you spend the time and effort). A lot of games are stylised etc. Go look at DMD.. it's somewhere between cartoon and photoreal. By using smaller textures, fewer effects etc you can make an amazing looking game without iray level rendering. And there are all the other engines that can be used in daz , some via plugin. Other than those solutions youre going to need an upgrade.

IF you want to get serious about this you will need an upgrade. You can build a last gen AMD Phenom based system, ddr3 ram is about 15-20 per 8gb used on ebay. processor about 50, mb 20 (make sure it had dual pcie x 16 slots and check its max ram capability.. 4 slots..)... thats 90 bucks plus case/ps .. add in 16gb more for another 40.. 130 bucks. Then spend as much as you can on a used car or cards. My current ryzen system uses a 1060 and 1070 which works Great though iwant more.. The mb on my ryzen 7 system died so i switched to my backup (almost identical to that system i listed).... and couldnt really tell a difference. Yes my current system blows the old system away on things that need massive cpu p ower but the old system ran daz, c4d, maya etc like a champ. So for around 400 bucks you could have a good cheap rendering system. Add another 300 to upgrade to a used 1080ti and you have a Very fast rendering system