DAZ 3D rendering is too slow

cippirimerlo

Jan 31, 2019
You dont have to do Photorealistic renders. (which is what daz is really good at if you spend the time and effort). A lot of games are stylised etc. Go look at DMD.. it's somewhere between cartoon and photoreal. By using smaller textures, fewer effects etc you can make an amazing looking game without iray level rendering. And there are all the other engines that can be used in daz , some via plugin. Other than those solutions youre going to need an upgrade.
I have a similar problem that encounter the users that open this thread. I have a medium hardware, gtx 1060 and i7 4790k, and when i try to render only a single character daz take 5 minute at least for a 1600x900 image. I need a way to render very fast my scene even with non-photographic quality, such DMD (or MSMR devoleped by sumodeine for example). What program settings should I change to rendering fast (even at the expense of quality)?

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
You think 5 minutes render time is slow? :O

And to answer your question, there is no answer for that. It always depends on the scenes, on the lighting and whole bunch of other things. If someone tells you to do something, because it worked for him or her, then it doesn't mean that the same thing works for you.

mickydoo

Fudged it again.
Game Developer
Jan 5, 2018
It's actually quite easy to get photorealism in DAZ when rendering an environment with no character in it, you only have to look at the promo pics of some of DAZ assets. There is a reason why there is no character in the promo pics, drop one in and render it and character looks shit. You need a whole new level of lighting on the character itself. Then the character takes hues of the environment, something that happens in real life but we don't really take any notice because we are not still standing characters.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
My computer is shit and I only have a 1050 card, but with stylized renders I can do 5k images in less than 30 seconds and they look as good as they do if I let it go for 8 hours.

photorealistic is great if you can do it, but it either takes a lot of time or money or both, and if done poorly can easily fall flat.

Reactions: lancelotdulak

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
I have a similar problem that encounter the users that open this thread. I have a medium hardware, gtx 1060 and i7 4790k, and when i try to render only a single character daz take 5 minute at least for a 1600x900 image. I need a way to render very fast my scene even with non-photographic quality, such DMD (or MSMR devoleped by sumodeine for example). What program settings should I change to rendering fast (even at the expense of quality)?
You won't get much faster render in Daz, unless you scrap all environments/backgrounds and do a single character render with simple shader and one texture per surface only.
Or do it like thecardinal.

edit: I somehow forgot to write half of the sentence lol...

Last edited:

cippirimerlo

Jan 31, 2019
You think 5 minutes render time is slow? :O

And to answer your question, there is no answer for that. It always depends on the scenes, on the lighting and whole bunch of other things. If someone tells you to do something, because it worked for him or her, then it doesn't mean that the same thing works for you.
For only a single char without any object i think... YES... is too slow...
My goal is not create a photorealistic rendering (in that case i know that 5 minute is ULTRA fast :)), but sample rendering, without realistic light and shadow, and without particular (such as reflections). How can i render my scene as DMD (i suppose that cartoon style rendering is fast...)?

My computer is shit and I only have a 1050 card, but with stylized renders I can do 5k images in less than 30 seconds and they look as good as they do if I let it go for 8 hours.

photorealistic is great if you can do it, but it either takes a lot of time or money or both, and if done poorly can easily fall flat.
You talk about render mode...? I have only photoreal and interactive...

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
My goal is not create a photorealistic rendering (in that case i know that 5 minute is ULTRA fast :)), but sample rendering, without realistic light and shadow, and without particular (such as reflections). How can i render my scene as DMD (i suppose that cartoon style rendering is fast...)?

You talk about render mode...? I have only photoreal and interactive...
It's a different shaders. Btw you should have at least 2 other render modes: Open GL (which is basically what you see in the viewport), and 3DLight (which is slightly faster than iray).

Reactions: jon95

KinneyX23

Modder
Game Developer
Dec 20, 2016
3Delight can be faster, but it doesn't have to be. As with Iray it depends on the scene, it's entirely possible that a 3Delight scene can take longer than an Iray scene even on a high end CPU.

My goal is not create a photorealistic rendering (in that case i know that 5 minute is ULTRA fast :)), but sample rendering, without realistic light and shadow, and without particular (such as reflections).
Also 5 minutes is not slow by any stretch, you have to remember you have a midrange GPU with either 1152 (3GB version) or 1280 (6GB version) cuda cores, which isn't a lot. In addition to that it also depends on the lighting and the render settings you use. Another thing that can slow renders down is if you want to do close ups of characters. Iray is very dependant on Cuda cores, in basic terms the higher the number of cores your GPU has the faster the render finishes with Iray (but even that's not entirely true anymore).

The last render I posted in the Daz art thread (https://f95zone.to/threads/daz3d-art-show-us-your-dazskill.4764/post-3071383) took my system with a 1080 Ti and a 2080 nearly 25 minutes to render and it's not really a complicated scene. The 1080 Ti alone needed little over an hour to finish the render. So again yes considering your hardware, 5 minutes isn't slow.

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
3Delight can be faster, but it doesn't have to be. As with Iray it depends on the scene, it's entirely possible that a 3Delight scene can take longer than an Iray scene even on a high end CPU.
Well, yes, but you make it look like that's the norm, which it isn't, not even remotely. 3DLight is faster in general.
Of course you'll have to use 3DLight materials/shader, if you don't do that/use iray material/shader, the render will be slower.

I'm not saying that 3Dlight is better btw, it isn't, it's just faster when used correctly.
You can get some really good render out of 3DLight, but it won't look as realistic as iray.

lancelotdulak

Nov 7, 2018
A 5 minute "good" (not even close to photorealistic) render of a single daz character that isnt hypercomplex is reasonable (i have one character that is brilliant but hammers my system...). But everything depends on the scene and models. everything. Look at the top post on this page and its another.. person.. doing the "look at my photorealism".. using a scene Specifically designed to be hyper easy to render (and using an architecture renderer that just loves it some flat square objects with simple single color textures *eyeroll.. ps we could do this shit in povray). An easy example of the differences in engines and how they handle light is Iray on interiors. You need lots of lighting and a simple looking scene can take a huge amount of time.. whereas one you think is similar might render blazingly fast.

There are other options. If render speed is your #1 priority octane is Faster. It's also different. You'll have to put a lot of work into retexturing etc (the way it renders is different at a core level). Also Arnold, Vray etc do some things Blazingly fast especially if youre willing to lower your final render expectations. But to get extremely high quality you need massive horsepower with them. There are also a lot of other render engines out there and you can even export the scene to Blender , 3dsmax, maya etc (maya and i believe c4d have student versions i believe) and render them there.

Reactions: recreation