Unity Daz VAM Daz Assets to Unity to Vam

wowassault

May 26, 2017
Having followed several guides and tutorials I feel pretty comfortable with converting most of the smaller and basic Daz assets (For example, a couch, or a bed, mostly singular objects) into a usable .assetbundle file for VaM.
Said guides;
Mainly:
and some tips from:

This week i tried to scale up the size of the asset that I'd like to convert to Vam, which brings me to the following issue;
I downloaded https://f95zone.to/threads/tidy-kitchen.161376/
And having it succesfully imported into Daz, I can confirm that it works like it should in my Daz.

However, when I export the Tidy Kitchen as a Fbx file, 1 of the 4 walls gets "corrupted" or something.
Because every single attempt at loading this .fbx file into Unity will result in wall 4 being "invisible / not having any data in it".
Wall 4 becomes an empty placeholder the moment I export this model from Daz into a .fbx file.

The wall inside Daz, where you can see it's just like the other 3 walls which DO get exported properly.
1699533948969.png
Picture 2, with the wall in Daz, selected:
1699534041931.png

The exact same POV/WALL, but, MISSING in unity after importing the entire asset as an .fbx: 1699533804083.png
Note how on the left, the Wall 04_dup_2 for some reason has it's own category within the heriarchy, with makes me believe something gets messed up during export.

When I export it as an .obj the wall DOES get included, but i'd prefer to not go down the .obj route as it comes with an insane amount of other downsides.

I replicated the exact same steps I took for smaller sized Daz assets in the past,
which gave me the desired results I wanted, which make me extremely confused as to WHY either Daz is
• Having trouble exporting every single part of this kitchen asset correctly into the .fbx
OR
• Why unity fails to properly import the .fbx as it should.

It's one of these 2 issues I assume? (Edit* The issue lies with exporting from Daz)

Any Daz to Unity/Vam experts here?

EDIT*

Upon looking further into the actual .fbx file daz studio creates when I use the export function, I come to the conclusion that in this case, wall 4 is missing most/all of it's properties, properties it DID have when it was inside of daz.

Here you can see wall 03.shape
1699542058633.png
has actual properties within it
1699542080285.png

Where as wall 04.shape is completely empty
1699542110032.png
When trying out this kitchen; https://f95zone.to/threads/modern-kitchen.15875/ I run into the exact same issue, except this time the entire room node gets corrupted/ignored when exported as .fbx and I am only left with
the other 4 assets, which are exported perfect into the .fbx

What I fail to understand is why during the export process in Daz, some parts of a scene get converted perfectly fine, but then another part of that exact same scene is "ignored" as i like to call it when it builds the .fbx

The issue I have lies within Daz Studio and it's export option into a .fbx, somewhere in this process I am making a mistake or fail to understand why some part of the Daz Scene is not included in the resulting .fbx, granted it includes a reference to the node, but it fails to include any properties to some of these nodes.

Edit2*

I tried a third Daz kitchen: https://f95zone.to/threads/avil-kitchen-dining-room.80929/
And this one works perfectely fine, I changed NOTHING in my exporting process compared to the other two kitchens, which created flawed .fbx files.
The resulting .fbx file it made from this kitchen has everything included, hmmm.
This is surprising because this one has ALLOT of seperate nodes, I figured there was more to go wrong.

This, confuses me even more....

Last edited:
Reactions: MARS2030

wowassault

May 26, 2017
After spending the entire day with various Daz enviroments/assets I can conclude that "wall_04" in https://f95zone.to/threads/tidy-kitchen.161376/ is... I think... too detailed, like to many verts, or it has a hidden property I haven't been able to identify, which causes it to be "corrupt" whenever you try to convert it into an .fbx file.

Something in that wall just doesn't convert into .fbx correctly.

I say this, because I converted about 15 other random Daz Assets (entire livings rooms, bathrooms, bedrooms) all without a single issue, into unity.

Nonetheless, I'd still like to find the root issue of this "wall_04" prop/node that is causing it to not correctly exporting into an .fbx file.

Are there any specific "limits or properties" that props/figures in Daz can have, but will cause these types of issues when converting them into an .fbx file?

When ONLY exporting this "wall_04" into an .fbx file, importing it then into Unity will give the following error:
1699639895456.png
I have attached, said .fbx

Reactions: MARS2030
Nov 20, 2023
You might want to try a different pipeline and observe the results. E.g., export it as obj (and/or other file types) from DS and then try to import it into Blender, or other CC software you have (or even import it back into DS). Then try to export it in the format you need. You could also just try to repair it in a proper CC app, e.g., build new geometry matching the problematic geometry, apply the proper materials, delete the old geometry, and export.