Daz Conversations

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
I wasn't sure where to ask this so pardon me if I am in the wrong spot. I had a question about conversations for the pro developers out there. I'm just getting into Daz renders and Ren Py, and I am struggling making my conversations look natural. Eye contact seems to be essential, but rendering a character with their mouth wide open or even a little bit, just looks funny to me. Rendering a character with their mouths in a more natural position looks better I think, but doesn't really work either it you are trying to portray a conversation. I was wondering if some of the developers could give some suggestions how to make your conversation renders look better.

RelaxArt

Mar 22, 2017
I wasn't sure where to ask this so pardon me if I am in the wrong spot. I had a question about conversations for the pro developers out there. I'm just getting into Daz renders and Ren Py, and I am struggling making my conversations look natural. Eye contact seems to be essential, but rendering a character with their mouth wide open or even a little bit, just looks funny to me. Rendering a character with their mouths in a more natural position looks better I think, but doesn't really work either it you are trying to portray a conversation. I was wondering if some of the developers could give some suggestions how to make your conversation renders look better.
A single image with a person talking to the camera will always look stupid. Since conversation is a dynamic.

If you look at images of conversations in classic paintings or photographs, you will notice that the people depicted there:
1) communicate with each other, while looking at the interlocutor (and not at the camera or at the artist)
2) phonemes are usually not portrayed, because we don't hear their conversation (and cannot understand what they are talking about)
3) when we see that a person is saying something, his mouth is open very slightly. We rarely see wide open mouth, except in the image of a military leader screaming at his troops or for something like that - anger, shock, great surprise... But for portraying a more ordinary conversation, facial expression and gesticulation are much more important. Phonemes are not important at all.

Reactions: Ricktor

Ricktor

Jun 13, 2017
Thank you for the reply. Your points are well taken. I'm very new to this, but getting better. Your point about the mouth being open only slightly, has made a huge difference! Just a slight part of the lips looks so much better than some of the poses you get out of the can. I'm having a lot of fun learning. There is definitely a science to this stuff though.