Daz Daz dforce hair problem

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hello, i have to tap into your knowledge.
I have this strange problem that the base looks strange if you look at the forehead.
Is there something i forgot? I am using Sea Salt hair. I am not sure if this like a poke issue.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
I don't have the hair, nor can I download it to look at it, but is there something like a preset for 'small hairs'? Because the promo images look like they have something where you have that spot. Try fidgeting with the scale of the hair itself. Not the model, but the hair. Nudge it up just a bit or down just a bit (2-3%) and see if that helps anything. It could be some sort of collision issue with the scalp and the skull cap (forgot the technical term), so changing the scale may help. Provided, as rayminator mentioned, it's not a skin issue. On that note, have you tested the hair on another figure to see if it does the same thing?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Hello, here is the link for that hair.

I was looking at the options it has. I did not find anything but yes, i will try to play around with the hair. Though i need to say, this is kind of the first time i play with dforce. So its quite possible that i did something wrong.
I tried different dforce hair and ended up always with no cap even if i clicked on it. So i have the feeling this is my beginner error.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
There is another issue.
I noticed that if there is a static object, the hair will just go through it.
Now there is blow to let it fall in any direction but it looks sometimes awkward to me.
Are there options i haven't considered because of my lag of knowledge?
Can you simulate the hair in someway so it falls naturally?

This is done with the blow option. It's ok but i am not really satisfied.

This is the hair i am using.
Nirv dForce 20s Fashion Long Bob Hair

2022-08-19 11_31_56-Window.jpg

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
There is another issue.
I noticed that if there is a static object, the hair will just go through it.
Now there is blow to let it fall in any direction but it looks sometimes awkward to me.
Are there options i haven't considered because of my lag of knowledge?
Can you simulate the hair in someway so it falls naturally?

This is done with the blow option. It's ok but i am not really satisfied.
If you want the hair to interact with objects, you need to simulate them as well. I honestly can't really tell from that image though.

Do you simulate the whole scene, or just select items and "simulate selected"?

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
If you want the hair to interact with objects, you need to simulate them as well. I honestly can't really tell from that image though.

Do you simulate the whole scene, or just select items and "simulate selected"?
No, haven't done simulation. This is just slider moving.
I am not sure if that looks ok. My problem is, i am very judgmental with myself.
Anyway, i will give the simulation a shot.
Thanks.

Nicke

Game Developer
Jul 2, 2017
No, haven't done simulation. This is just slider moving.
I am not sure if that looks ok. My problem is, i am very judgmental with myself.
Anyway, i will give the simulation a shot.
Thanks.
Ok, then you're not using it as a dforce hair at all I guess?

This is what I do when using dforce hair:
1. Never ever use "simulate". If you got more than one dforce object in the scene it'll be super effing slow.
2. You can freeze objects so they don't simulate. Parameters->simulation->freeze object.
3. Before you simulate, make sure that the items in their un-simulated state does not intersect with anything else being simulated (no matter if its a dforce or static object). Things will explode.

4. So simulation of a hair lets say: Select the character the hair is on. Ctrl+click on the hair. Now the char + hair is selected. Right click on the simulation tab and click on SIMULATE SELECTED. It will now simulate only the hair+the character, meaning that it will not pass through the character. If you want it to drape over the sofa for example, you need to include the sofa in the selected objects (and make sure the hair does not intersect with sofa at the start of the simulation).
5. You can select the hair in the scene tab, then right click simulation tab and select dforce->clear selected objects. This will remove any previous simulation on the hair, so you can see where it starts from.
6. In the simulation tab: Simulation->start bones from memorized pose. Turn this OFF. Later you might want to memorize poses etc, but in the beginning this will mess you up.
7. If you also want to blow the hair you can add a dforce wind node. Create->new dforce wind node.

Ok, shit I'm just rambling here. I don't even know if you want to simulate your hair or not. This might all be useless to you in your current situation. :)

Reactions: coffeeaddicted

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Ok, then you're not using it as a dforce hair at all I guess?

This is what I do when using dforce hair:
1. Never ever use "simulate". If you got more than one dforce object in the scene it'll be super effing slow.
2. You can freeze objects so they don't simulate. Parameters->simulation->freeze object.
3. Before you simulate, make sure that the items in their un-simulated state does not intersect with anything else being simulated (no matter if its a dforce or static object). Things will explode.

4. So simulation of a hair lets say: Select the character the hair is on. Ctrl+click on the hair. Now the char + hair is selected. Right click on the simulation tab and click on SIMULATE SELECTED. It will now simulate only the hair+the character, meaning that it will not pass through the character. If you want it to drape over the sofa for example, you need to include the sofa in the selected objects (and make sure the hair does not intersect with sofa at the start of the simulation).
5. You can select the hair in the scene tab, then right click simulation tab and select dforce->clear selected objects. This will remove any previous simulation on the hair, so you can see where it starts from.
6. In the simulation tab: Simulation->start bones from memorized pose. Turn this OFF. Later you might want to memorize poses etc, but in the beginning this will mess you up.
7. If you also want to blow the hair you can add a dforce wind node. Create->new dforce wind node.

Ok, shit I'm just rambling here. I don't even know if you want to simulate your hair or not. This might all be useless to you in your current situation. :)
Everything is useful. So i appreciate all the input i can get.

Well, it maybe true that i don't use the full potential of dforce hair. Yet.
It was, to me, a nice feature to have the hair bend several ways. That's all.
But if to get a real impression to simulate, i will try that as well. Because it does look strange when hair is hanging down and i know its going through the surface of something. Even if someone just clicks to the next picture and only spends seconds. Maybe not even being aware of that.

But for me, i think i like to make it more realistic if i can. So i will try that out and hope i am not too stupid to make it work. :)

Thanks again.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
i know its going through the surface of something. Even if someone just clicks to the next picture and only spends seconds.
Something I learned from another developer pretty early on is, "What you can't see doesn't matter.".

There's a lot of logic in it, to be honest. You can make your finger placement of someone gripping a ball absolutely perfect, but if it's not in the field of view of said render or out of frame entirely, then what's the point of doing all that extra work for something nobody's going to see? I'm not saying that's the case here, but just as a sort of general rule.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Something I learned from another developer pretty early on is, "What you can't see doesn't matter.".

There's a lot of logic in it, to be honest. You can make your finger placement of someone gripping a ball absolutely perfect, but if it's not in the field of view of said render or out of frame entirely, then what's the point of doing all that extra work for something nobody's going to see? I'm not saying that's the case here, but just as a sort of general rule.
Lol... very true.

If anyone would see how the bodyparts that are not in the picture.
I always bend mine pretty bad but just good for the part that goes in focus.

But this is very true and i had to learn with clothing. This drove me almost insane. Always somewhere a spot that wasn't covered.
Now i only concentrate on whats in the view. The rest doesn't really matter.
If you are like me and start with this software and you think, ok the clothing should actually wrap around the person. But it doesn't. It never will probably.
With hair its similar. It gets stuck, poke through skin etc... my problem is mostly that i forget to check and then later on i have to change it.

Anyway, so does this picture look ok or should i invest time? Honestly, i think its ok even if i bend physics in that case.

Thank you so much