Daz G3M hair issue...

Jun 29, 2018
I'm having a problem recently with a number of "Hair" products for G3M, specifically I'm trying to use the Executive Hair from Renderosity but I've had the same issue with some other hair products as well. This has a 'hair cap' which works fine in some lighting but shows up as a darker discoloration most situations. You can see the darker skin surrounding the hairline around the entire hair:

Hair Problem.png

I've reinstalled the product and added it new to the figure bit but it's still there. I first tried using it on Michael 7, which says it's supported, so I thought maybe the figure is the problem. I created my character on a different G3M figure and the issue is still there.

I've tried all the morphs to see if it's able to be sunk into the skull so it's hidden - or the Iray surfaces to see if it's able to be hidden somehow but no luck. I'm wondering if anybody has run into this before and has a suggestion that I may have missed? I've spent the entire day working on this but had no luck. I'm at a loss to figure this one out.

TheTypist

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2017
What version of daz are you running? I'm about to render the same hair out to see if I share your problem.

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
Try using the Iray uber texture on it the hair could be using 3delight shaders

TheTypist

Donor
Game Developer
Sep 7, 2017
Attempted it. Same style, normal render presets, Iray texture. But the 3d delight texture also didn't give me any issues. Kepp in mind, when I downloaded this hair, it came with 4 files all containing data for it. Be sure you've got each file properly installed. That's all I can say...
hair test.png

Jun 29, 2018
Hi, thanks for the info. I'm using 4.11 beta now and have done a few more tests... I "may have" isolated the issue. When I said it works some times but most of the time not. I think the issue is I created the character and saved him as a simple nude figure in a T pose - I then merge him into the scene I'm working on.

It would work fine in the simple T pose figure scene and also when I first imported him into my main scene. I think the problem is coming from a saved Pose Preset I created. I think I'd load the pose preset and setup the scene and then I'd see the issue show up.

I'm going to do some tests to verify that's the issue but it's the only thing that would make sense. :ROFLMAO: I did a quick test and so far it's looking fine without applying the preset:

Before.png

I just applied the pose preset but it still looks fine.... I'd be happier if I found the issue. I've been working in Daz for the last 12+ hours today and I'd think it's fixed, render an image or two and notice it comes back. Then work on it and think it's fixed only to show up again some time later.....

What's even more annoying is this guy is just a side character and he's causing so much trouble. haha
Thanks for the help! :giggle:

Jun 29, 2018
Try using the Iray uber texture on it the hair could be using 3delight shaders
Thanks. I had thought about that. I applied the Iray materials but thought maybe they weren't working correctly or named wrong. I went through each iray material and also applied the Iray Uber Base myself but it's still been doing the same issue.

I'm going to try continue working with this figure, not using my pose preset, to see if the trouble shows up again. If he gives me any more trouble I'm changing to a G8M figure to see if that helps.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
Not every hair fits every skull perfectly - sometimes they do require some tweaking.

You mentioned using morphs or adjustments to sink the skullcap into the skull - that's the usual approach. Another is to adjust the Cutout Opacity (under "Surfaces") on the skullcap to make it transparent.

Finally, check to see if your character is actually reasonably near the (0,0) point in the scene. iRay has some weird behavior where it starts to do Bad Things to elements in renders if they're a ways away from the (0,0) point, even if the camera is close to the figure. In other words, you're better off positioning your character near (0,0) and moving the "set" so that he's in the correct spot, as opposed to loading the "set" at the (0,0) position and moving the character into the correct position within it.

Jun 29, 2018
Hey Rich, thanks for the information. I wasn't aware of Iray having issues with elements further away from the (0,0) point, very interesting. This is my first scene I'm doing that is sort of away from dead center. Technically it's center for X and Z but I've raised the entire scene up into the air on Y axis for a reason related to the HDRI I was using. I haven't seen the issue show up again thankfully so this may not be affecting me but it's good to know.

What's strange is after I recreated the hair onto the original character file I have I made sure not to use my pose preset and thankfully I haven't seen the issue come up again. The issue may or may not be that saved pose but I don't want to tempt fate so I'm just not using it. ;)

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
What tends to show up with the "away from 0,0" are things like little lines in the forehead or sides of the head where iRay starts having problems with the meeting of the skullcap and the hair. Example posted here:

I've also seen it cause very weird things in the eyes - black rings around the edge of the sclera, etc.

Perhaps the pose preset had some rogue items it was setting. Note that when you create a pose preset, you can choose which settings are involved, so you can exclude ones you don't want. Just something to be aware of for the future...

Jun 29, 2018
I have to admit ignorance in not checking further into what gets saved with the presets. It's on my list of things to dig deeper into so I can make sure to understand them better. After a few months of using DAZ and getting over a few thousand little things you need to learn I see there are a few thousand more waiting for me. LOL