DAZ gtx 1050 ti 4gb

michael205

Jan 30, 2018
Hi, i would like to know if this gpu would be enough to get photoreal renders in daz.
Could someone that us it give me a hit or two what limitations would i have with this gpu.
At this moment as everyone probably know prices of hi-end and even mid-end graphic cards are skyhigh , getting 1060 6gb would cost ~ 400/450 euro while 1050 ti around 200.

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
I might need to add that since I did those tests I also tested a single 1050TI
important part seems to be to have at least 8GB (or better 16GB) of regular system RAM in addition
and you should be running the latest Windows10 version

michael205

Jan 30, 2018
Could you give me approx time of the same scene rendered between 1050 ti vs 1060 6gb (if you did such comparison).

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
so, as to be expected, the 1060 is faster than the 1050TI

this is the example render I used for all the testing
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

the times:

so.... as you can see, the 1050TI is capable of Iray rendering some basic scenes in DAZ.
what you can also see is that the render time pretty much gets halved when you add a 2nd card (1080TI vs. 2x1080TI)

you can get two 1050TI for the price of one 1060 6G (at least around where I live)
now if you take the 40min time of a single 1050TI and throw in a second one you will end up with 20min which beats the 26min of a single 1060 6G
BUT
keep in mind that the 1060 6G has more VRAM than the 1050TI (6GB vs 4GB) which will come in handy if you want to render more advanced scenes with more than 2 or 3 characters or a bigger environments....
also: not every asset in DAZ is equal so you might get some characters that requiere more VRAM than others

michael205

Jan 30, 2018
Thanks for this comparison. For now i plan to buy only 1 card(1050ti) and then maybe buy something more aproperiet. 40 min is ok for now, much better then few hours with cpu. VRAM is also my concern.
So 2 char and simple scene is max i can do with this gpu i guess..
I hope prices will go down at some point and i will be able to build something similar to your machin, but only if i'll manage to learn to do photorealistic CG, if not then there is no point.

P.S. Does 4k / 8k render take more ram ?

PandaPenguin

fuzzy miscreant
Game Developer
Nov 4, 2016
there is always room for optimization in DAZ which will help with some VRAM "issues"

P.S. Does 4k / 8k render take more ram ?
what I encountered so far in DAZ is that the render resolution has no influence on the requiered resources, it only affects the total render time as more pixels need to be rendered but the "source material" (IE: 3D data) is the same

Reactions: DarthSeduction

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
On the Windows 10 thing...

Windows 10 will reserve roughly 18% of your card's VRAM for pretty much no good reason. On smaller cards, this isn't noticable, but for say a 1080 Ti this works out to over 2 GB of VRAM being set aside. I'm losing roughly 1.6 GB of VRAM on my GTX 1080's. Yes, Windows 10 does need a little bit of VRAM for itself, but this really should be a 'set' amount, not a percentage.

This has been an issue for several years now. Some people became aware of this issue because larger scenes that used to fit in their graphics card's VRAM under Windows 7 were no longer fitting inside of the card's VRAM using Windows 10.

This is one of several reasons why a number of Daz users still use Windows 7. I mention this because someone recommended using Windows 10. A number of us using Daz on Windows 10 systems do so because that's what came with our systems, not because we want to...

Some are making a go with running Daz on Linux instead, but that's another conversation entirely, and it isn't necessarily a straightforward process.

Supposedly the Quadro/Professional cards can get around this restriction, but those are usually quite pricey.

In short, there's not much you can do about it, just be aware that the Windows 10 18% VRAM tax is a 'thing'.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
The problem is a lot of new mobos doesn't support windows 7 and you have to do a loooooooooooooooooooooot of "exercises" to make it work.
Not disagreeing at all. For example, MSI doesn't offer Windows 7 drivers for my (desktop replacement) laptop.

My point in bringing it up was, if you already have Windows 7 installed, that there can be advantages r.e. staying with Windows 7, or even Windows 8.1, at least for rendering.

Driver support for the graphics card you are using is of course another issue to look at, of course. The latest cards may or may not come with backwards compatibility, but a number of people still use older cards for rendering that they grab on Ebay or whatever, which often have drivers for earlier versions of Windows.

I just checked the Nvidia site, and they DO have GTX 1080 drivers for Windows 7, and a few other 10xx cards.

Jun 14, 2018
I had to install win10 because my mobo b360 (b360 mobos were released April 2018) doesn't support win7. I was used to win10 at work, but prefer win7, you are able to run 7 for years without any updates, while 10 without updates starts to crash after 2-3 days. MS really has to do something about the VRAM usage, I think the windows might confusing the regular ram and the vram.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
I had to install win10 because my mobo b360 (b360 mobos were released April 2018) doesn't support win7. I was used to win10 at work, but prefer win7, you are able to run 7 for years without any updates, while 10 without updates starts to crash after 2-3 days. MS really has to do something about the VRAM usage, I think the windows might confusing the regular ram and the vram.
Agreed. If you've followed the discussion about the 18% VRAM reservation issues in various forums, you'll know that Microsoft tech support tends to avoid this issue, saying it's a hardware/software driver issue (i.e. Nvidia, Daz3D, etc.), while Nvidia points the finger right back at Microsoft.

I really don't care which of the two parties is responsible. If it's Nvidia, it comes across to me as an artificial marketing scheme to get people to buy their higher end workstation cards, which can avoid the WDDM VRAM reservation. If it's Microsoft, well they are just being lazy by allowing this to continue IMHO. Either way, short of a class action suit by Nvidia card owners over false advertising (i.e. you SAID I had 11 GB of VRAM, but I can only use a bit less than 9), yeah I don't see Microsoft (or Nvidia) stepping up on this one at this point.

Jun 14, 2018
I don't see how this will happen soon, in my country only a case against Nvidia is possible. Will see how the new cards will be handled by MS. I am sure the problem will still exist.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
There are several reasons why Windows 10 annoys the hell out of me. I just troubleshooted a problem...

So, I had fast boot enabled, which should give me fast boots, right? Well, after the first boot or two upon acquiring this laptop, my boot times increased by several minutes, and have been consistenly long ever since.

Decided to troubleshoot the problem today. One suggestion was to disable fast boot. So, I disabled fast boot, and have done severel power downs and power ups to see if it would help. Boot times are now consistently 30 seconds or less again (Microsoft updates aside)!
Sooo...
With fast boot: 2 minutes 30 seconds or longer
Without fast boot: Less than 30 seconds.

This is just one of many examples which highlight why I'd love to downgrade to Windows 7, or even 8.1 if I had the option. The 18% VRAM tax being another one. It just seems like the Microsoft software engineers aren't trying that hard anymore, and simply don't care...

Joraell

Betrayed
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 4, 2017
There are several reasons why Windows 10 annoys the hell out of me. I just troubleshooted a problem...

So, I had fast boot enabled, which should give me fast boots, right? Well, after the first boot or two upon acquiring this laptop, my boot times increased by several minutes, and have been consistenly long ever since.

Decided to troubleshoot the problem today. One suggestion was to disable fast boot. So, I disabled fast boot, and have done severel power downs and power ups to see if it would help. Boot times are now consistently 30 seconds or less again (Microsoft updates aside)!
Sooo...
With fast boot: 2 minutes 30 seconds or longer
Without fast boot: Less than 30 seconds.

This is just one of many examples which highlight why I'd love to downgrade to Windows 7, or even 8.1 if I had the option. The 18% VRAM tax being another one. It just seems like the Microsoft software engineers aren't trying that hard anymore, and simply don't care...
Ouch. I don't know about that. And still thinking why the hell I have 1.5 gig on my 8GB cards stuffed with "something" mean "nothing". That issue is from 2015 and they still didn't repaired it. What a assholes.

Reactions: OhWee