DAZ - Modified clothing not following figure's pose.

Jun 29, 2018
First off, I'm sorry for this being such a long post but I wanted to try to be clear to better explain the steps I'm doing. :)

I'm having a problem modifying the geometry of clothing for a G3F figure to get a better fit, specifically the issue how it tucks into the clevage and under the breast for busty figures. I've tried a few methods so far but keep running into the same issue. (What pisses me off is I had this working a few months ago but the notes I took don't seem to help now. haha)

Basically with the figure loaded in your scene you add the clothing but as a stand alone item, it's not parented or fitted to the figure. You also turn off "Smoothing" and set the item's resolution to be "Base". You can then use the various translate and scale tools to adjust the shape of the clothing to better fit your figure. In this pic the clothing is not parented or fitted to the figure, it's just loaded into the scene:

AdjustmentBeforeAfter.png

After your adjustments you export the clothing as an .obj file. Then you load a new and unaltered version of the outfit, do not fit or parent it to the figure, set it's Smoothing to Off, and also set it's resolution to Base. Then you use update the clothing's geometry (Edit -> Figure -> Geometry -> Update Base Geometry) based on the .obj that you exported.

I know the geometry got updated correctly as now if I load the clothing into a scene (not attaching to a figure) it shows the modified version. Yea, that's what should happen.

BeforeAfter.png

The problem that's happening is with posing. If I don't use "Fit To" and just parent the clothing to the G3F figure it looks right but when you pose the figure the clothing stays in a T pose:

PoseIssue.png

If I do use "Fit To" it seems to think the clothing is still the original shape and adds huge adjustments to the item with the modified geometry, giving a really messed up item:

BrokenFitTo.png

I think I'm doing everything right but I'm missing a step to make sure the adjusted clothing follows the figure's pose and I can't figure out what that is. By the way, I've also done this by loading the adjusted .obj file as a morph in Morph Loader Pro but run into the same issue with it not following the character's pose.

I'm a bit at a loss, anybody have any ideas? Thanks.

zger

Sep 6, 2017
make sure to "transfer utility". u need to do this. Assets -> transfer utility from gen3female to your clotching. or try edit -> figure(or object dont remember try both) -> transfer utility. your clothing has to be selected.
sry for my engrish i hope this gonna help!

edit: made small tutorial.
TransferU.jpg

Reactions: p_staker
Jun 29, 2018
Hi zger, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I just tried the Transfer Utility a few times (before and after updating geometry) but it's still showing the same error. In the image below I updated the geometry and then did the Transfer Utility with the source being the G3F figure and the Target being the clothing:

AfterTransferUtility.png

Again if I fit the clothing to the figure it looks like this (Yuck) but it does follow the characters pose. If I do not use the "Fit To" and only parent it to the figure it look good but does not following the pose.

I'm new to the Transfer Utility tool so I'm going to do some more research to see what I can find out. Maybe I'm using it at the wrong point or something.

When I had done this in the past I didn't use the Transfer Utility, I modified the clothing in Blender and then used the .obj file to load it as a morph. It had worked before but it's not working now and I can't remember what I did to get it to work. haha

Her's how it looked at that time:

PreviousExample.png

It wasn't perfect but I'm was very happy with it for a first try. :giggle:

Jun 29, 2018
why don't you just use Fit Control, ?
I've used fit control but the results you get from it can really vary depending on the outfit. I've had some outfits where it works pretty good but some others where it just doesn't work that well. I haven't had Fit Control ever work for me as well as being able to edit the geometry in a program such as Blender though.

It's also something that I know works but I'm doing something wrong or missing something so I'd like to learn what this is so I have another tool to use in the future.

Aeilion

Jun 14, 2017
The best solution for me (which I use) but may not work with some clothes, potentially leads to inconvenience of timeline management and requires some time to set up, a decent computer and simulation time. The link offers the basis of work, it is also necessary to learn how to manage the trick, often with a need to use smoothing, Dformer etc ...

zger

Sep 6, 2017
im not sure why u r trying to update geometry. u have 2 simple options.
1. just morph it as u like in blender then import as clean object then just transfer utility and thats it. should work fine. (when transfering utility u could check advanced options and add smoothing modifier it could fix some collision and stuff).
2. morph in blender then when in daz just select original clothing and use morph loader pro. thats it your morph should work fine without any problems if u didnt change any geometry in blender and just used stuff to fit it.

btw smoothing modifier could fix that but also it can cause stuff like that so check that. also try turning off high resolution if its on. (and make sure u r exporting and importing mesh without high resolution on)