Unreal Engine Tutorial daz or 3ds max

smash1

Nov 15, 2022
I wanna start learn rending to make a game and i wonder should i learn maya or daz3D? I plan to make a game with unreal engine, which one is better?

thank for advising guys.

MissFortune

I Was Once, Possibly, Maybe, Perhaps… A Harem King
Respected User
Game Developer
Aug 17, 2019
3DS Max is going to offer more control over everything you do, but that works under the assumption that you already know how to use it. If you've never touched any 3D software, then I'd step away from Maya/3DS. Daz offers more ready-made options for a VN, hence why a overwhelming majority of the VNs/games here are made with Daz - at least partially.

That all being said, presuming you have knowledge in all of the listed software, your best option may be to use Daz for making characters and then sending them to UE, which is going to present challenges of its own.

Reactions: Domiek and smash1

smash1

Nov 15, 2022
3DS Max is going to offer more control over everything you do, but that works under the assumption that you already know how to use it. If you've never touched any 3D software, then I'd step away from Maya/3DS. Daz offers more ready-made options for a VN, hence why a overwhelming majority of the VNs/games here are made with Daz - at least partially.

That all being said, presuming you have knowledge in all of the listed software, your best option may be to use Daz for making characters and then sending them to UE, which is going to present challenges of its own.
aww thank you.

hardwire666

Apr 12, 2018
3Ds Max, Maya, C4D, Blender ect. All have their own quirks and use cases.

Maya - The industry standard for most things that do not require exact dimensions. Also the standard for animation.
3Ds Max - Really geared toward Engineering/Architectural stuff. Things that require exact measurements.
C4D - Mainly used for VFX/Film/TV ect. great for motion tracking. (Not exactly beginner stuff from my understanding)
Blender - Does a bit of everything, and is not particularly better at anything, other than being completely free. Its poly modeling tools are actually great on second thought. Also Blender is not a slouch and is plenty capable.

Houdini - Procedural everything and simulations. This one stands on its own for simulations.

There's also other software Like, Modo, Zbrush, 3DCoat, Rhino... actually that might be it.

They all have their use cases and are all extremely useful. Daz does everything in its own way which is why i left it out till now. It's not a bad thing, but it doesn't quite fit in with everything else I mentioned.

Honestly just pick a place and start. Maya and Blender have the most abundant free info/tutorials out there right now. As well they do things in a relatively similar manner. Since you intend to make games the best thing you can do is just dig in and start getting your hands dirty. You will come across many problems that you will have to solve in your journey no matter what software you use. So the more you learn the more equipped you will be to deal with issues as they arise.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Sleepyguylol

Jun 18, 2020
The user above me already said everything needed but I want to +1 on using blender. Blender is such a good all around tool that its perfect for individuals. It has a bit of a learning curve but there are an abundant of youtube tutorials online (Blender guru being the typical go to).

OsamiWorks

May 24, 2020
I was dumb and have been learning all of blender, now I want to learn DAZ to cut down on the time it takes to create characters so I dont need to sculpt heads from scratch. Use Daz asyour char creator, port that to blender using diffeomorphic, delete that awful rig and use either the UE skeleton or an autorigging solution like rigify to at least see it in engine, create your animations in blender because the 12 principles of animation are the only thing that matters regardless of what software you use and then follow royalskies tutorial on importing your character from blender into UE via the fbx format.

Last edited:
Reactions: iDuckDuck