[DAZ] prevent unwanted hair movement

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
I only need to render out the "closed eyes"-part as overlay. The intention is to place it over a background image with open eyes. The hair must stay exactly where it is and the light must not change.
Problem is that closing the eyes moves the hair. Any ideas how to fix this?
fml.gif
I know one really ugly/messy workaround, just looking for better solutions/ideas.

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
Some things that I've thought, I don't know if they will serve you:

a) You can lock the parameters with the padlock icon so they do not change; if you find the part of the hair that moves, you can try.

b) Memorize the hair pose, unparent from the character and then load pose; this way may not interact with the character when he closes his eyes.

c) Try to change "Fit to Mode" parameter.

I hope that some will work, although I haven't been able to prove it :p

If nothing works, there is always Photoshop :coldsweat:

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
Unfortunately that did not help.
a) moves the the hair anyway with absolutely everything locked
b) this moves then hair away after unparenting and loading the pose, the eyes still move the hair due to the "fit"-connection; if I unparent+unfit+load it just resets to the default pose
c) I've never touched that one before and have no clue what it does, but the results is the same.

Just as reference - here is how I did it:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Anyway thanks for the suggestions.

My guess is that this can only be fixed properly by fixing how the hair is fitted to the character ... I just think that fitting hair to a character should never move the hair just from closing the eyes ... the hair geometry in front of the face probably gets weighted automatically to some face-vertices by DAZ resulting in this weird behavior. I know how to fix this stuff in Blender but I'm not sure DAZ can do this.
(sorry for terrible english, in a hurry)

Porcus Dev

Engaged Member
Game Developer
Oct 12, 2017
if I unparent+unfit+load it just resets to the default pose
I don't know exactly what steps you have followed, did you tried this:
1) Save pose parameters in file, when it ask you to save, select only the hair.
2) Unparent+unfit hair from character (it will go to default pose).
3) With hair selected, merge the pose file you saved before.
4) Then I guess you have to adjust the coordinates (cause it's uparented and unfitted)

Anyway, if there is no better way, your method is good, the bad is the extra consumption of memory :oops:

Reactions: f95zoneuser463

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
In all likelihood, there is a "hidden morph" on the hair that is connected to the eye position. (It's probably a "morph controlled morph" (MCM) which has been attached to the eye closing morph.) If you can locate that morph, you could put it back to the "eye open" value after you close the eyes. The catch is that MCM's are normally hidden from sight.

In the settings panel, you can click on the little spot that has three horizontal lines (upper left or upper right corner, depending on where the settings panel is docked), and there's an option to "show hidden items." Once hidden items are being shown, you could probably be able to find the hidden morph that's actually moving the hair (by being triggered by the eye closure). (Close the eye and select "Currently Used" and it should be in the list, and will change value when you open and close the eyes.)

Using this, you should be able to close the eye and then reset the rogue morph back to the "eyes open" value.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
@Rich
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you meant with settings panel, but I guess this is it:
I found hidden sliders by enabling the "Show Hidden Properties" checkbox for the 'Parameters'+'Shaping'+'Posing'-tabs:
  • 'Parameters' had 27 hidden sliders, all hair related
  • 'Shaping' had 8 hidden sliders, these are all full shapes of characters I have installed
  • 'Posing' had no hidden sliders
Unfortunately the sliders in under parameters all moved different parts of the hair my case, but not the part that moved with the eyes. I checked every single slider manually to make sure. I didn't know about the hidden stuff until now. This is good to know.

*meh* ... It's not THAT important. I guess I'll keep solving this the 'stupid' way if I run into similar problems again. I've already spend way to much time with this.

Rich

Old Fart
Modder
Respected User
Donor
Game Developer
Jun 25, 2017
@Rich
I'm not 100% sure if this is what you meant with settings panel, but I guess this is it:
I found hidden sliders by enabling the "Show Hidden Properties" checkbox for the 'Parameters'+'Shaping'+'Posing'-tabs:
  • 'Parameters' had 27 hidden sliders, all hair related
  • 'Shaping' had 8 hidden sliders, these are all full shapes of characters I have installed
  • 'Posing' had no hidden sliders.

Yes, this was what I was talking about. The "characters" morphs under "shaping" are designed to adapt the hair to the unique shape of those characters - as you dial in those character morphs, those shaping morphs would dial in as well. They're "morph controlled morphs" or MCM's - morphs that are triggered by other morphs. Similarly, the hidden hair parameters probably have to do with adapting the hair as the character moves or whatever.

What I was expecting was that you'd find that when you dialed the eyes closed, one of those hidden morphs would have changed its value, and then you could have zeroed out that hidden morph to "undo" what happened.

I guess your other solution would be to render the hair separately from the face (i.e. hide the figure), then render the face with eyes open and closed, and layer the three appropriately.

Reactions: f95zoneuser463