Daz rendering too bright

Dolyla

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2022
Hi all !

I'm beginner since a month on Daz and I have a problem with my renders.
I don't know how to explain it but it looks too bright... or too white ... like there is a filter on it...
and opposite i think that the blacks are not very good...
Sorry if i'm bad at explaining but my english isn't very good.

Does a parameter in Daz plays with "contrast" ? Or maybe i must go on photoshop to change the render ...
how do you do ?

These are some examples... juliatest.png juliatest1.png

Lakius

Mar 22, 2019
You can find a variety of settings in the Render Settings pane, in particular under the Tone Mapping section. Most likely you want to adjust exposure.

You may also need to tweak your environment settings, again in the Render Settings pane. Your HDRI has a huge impact as well, consider getting a few packs and experimenting. Environment Intensity is pretty important there.

Dolyla

Game Developer
Feb 10, 2022
I just notice the burn highlights and the crush blacks options... i will test it tomorrow to see if it makes some changes and give you report but thank you so much for your quick answer !

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
You need light to render but at the same time, as stated, you should make use of the exposure. Light with a real camera. Everything applies.
Btw. i think it doesn't look bad, rather good i think.

HM-Toro

Apr 29, 2023
Here's my own style of doing these things

Often the skin of the characters requires that you set the light output of the lights to a high luminance Unit: CD/CM2 and kelvin 6500 and adjust the luminance to the appropriate level then start adjusting the next settings.

Nvidia iray on viewport.
Render settings and from there tone mapping
Adjust ISO 500 - 800
Adjust the exposure value usually 13-20 is enough. The higher the number the darker the image.

Personally, I first set ISO 800 and then go from the top end to adjust the exposure value downwards. It's also a good idea to have what I call "false objects" in the picture, so I personally add completely white and black objects or subjects to the picture, because I don't want either end to be blocked or burnt. Sometimes you have to slip a little bit of one or the other and it depends entirely on the kind of picture you're dealing with. Then when the lighting is a little bit in the direction you want it, those " false objects " can be removed.

Once you understand this, it's pretty easy to pre-determine those adjustments if you work with them for a while.

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
Here's my own style of doing these things

Often the skin of the characters requires that you set the light output of the lights to a high luminance Unit: CD/CM2 and kelvin 6500 and adjust the luminance to the appropriate level then start adjusting the next settings.

Nvidia iray on viewport.
Render settings and from there tone mapping
Adjust ISO 500 - 800
Adjust the exposure value usually 13-20 is enough. The higher the number the darker the image.

Personally, I first set ISO 800 and then go from the top end to adjust the exposure value downwards. It's also a good idea to have what I call "false objects" in the picture, so I personally add completely white and black objects or subjects to the picture, because I don't want either end to be blocked or burnt. Sometimes you have to slip a little bit of one or the other and it depends entirely on the kind of picture you're dealing with. Then when the lighting is a little bit in the direction you want it, those " false objects " can be removed.

Once you understand this, it's pretty easy to pre-determine those adjustments if you work with them for a while.
I think i don't have to much problems with skin but with clothing items.
When just loading with standard settings everything seems fine, but when doing a scene the look quite different. I did yesterday a scene with Arryn Shelly pantyhose. These look really great but in the scene all the shine is gone. I even had a spotlight directed at them, just gone.
This makes me think that i never understand light in DAZ. Scene looks great to me but the nuance are gone.

Reactions: HM-Toro

coffeeaddicted

Apr 13, 2021
I think i don't have to much problems with skin but with clothing items.
When just loading with standard settings everything seems fine, but when doing a scene the look quite different. I did yesterday a scene with Arryn Shelly pantyhose. These look really great but in the scene all the shine is gone. I even had a spotlight directed at them, just gone.
This makes me think that i never understand light in DAZ. Scene looks great to me but the nuance are gone.
Nevermind. I think i figured it out.
In my case, i had to rotate my photoshot HDRI to get the right lighting.