Daz Studio 4.11 Beta Users: Your experience so far...

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
It's been almost 3 months since Daz last updated the beta for 4.11 (.236 was 9 October)... on the one hand, that could mean we should expect an update soon, but on the other hand, with the issues being reported, and the fact that it's been 'sitting' for 3 months... doesn't inspire confidence.

f95zoneuser463

Game Developer
Aug 14, 2017
It has been well documented that Windows 10 limits the amount of VRAM that any single program to around 82% of the total VRAM available (90% of 90%).
Now that you wrote that I remember running into this too. I noticed that when I started with a GTX 760 with only 2 GB. I had to optimize every scene to squeeze it into the VRAM. I even remember reading about on ... hmm I believe it was a Microsoft support site. I forgot about this ever since I upgrade to a GTX 1070 8 GB. Damn that restriction is f*cked up. As always the consumer does not really have a choice ... except maybe the Windows 7 downgrade :mad:.

As for why I'm forced to upgrade right now, well my dual 1080 laptop is dead/mostly dead.
I see. That's unfortunate. I'd love a Threadripper too ... but I don't have that kind of money. I'm still torturing an overclocked 6 year old i7-2600K. I keep all my drives AES encrypted with VeraCrypt. If I had give the system to a manufacturer they would probably think they are empty and format them *ahh nooo!* ;).

... I can choose to NOT use the denoiser though, that is an option, right?
Yes. The denoiser is disabled by default.

D

Deleted member 1115199

It's been almost 3 months since Daz last updated the beta for 4.11 (.236 was 9 October)... on the one hand, that could mean we should expect an update soon, but on the other hand, with the issues being reported, and the fact that it's been 'sitting' for 3 months... doesn't inspire confidence.
I have been using beta this whole time. I haven't really encountered any "Game breaking" bugs.

Krosos

Engaged Member
Dec 1, 2018
You make me curious about your visual end results :)

also the publishing build got several changes since october only the public beta didn't moved along, but yeah 231/236 are pretty stable and 236 could be easily released now as a stable public build.

D

Deleted member 1115199

You make me curious about your visual end results :)

also the publishing build got several changes since october only the public beta didn't moved along, but yeah 231/236 are pretty stable and 236 could be easily released now as a stable public build.
It could be released as a stable version, but I think they are waiting for more things to update. But it's not like anybody can't use 4.11. And also that Memory optimization was bugged, not 100% sure tho, in 4.10 when you had figures far from Dome center in Iray.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Thanks y'all for your input!

I decided not to risk it, and sip the cool aid instead. I grabbed a 1080 Ti after agonizing over whether I'd 'just' go with a 1070 or not. This particular 1080 Ti is only 211mm long, so it'll be a good fit for the ML08 case I'm using for the SFF build.

This will be by far the most expensive Blu Ray player I've ever bought (well, built)... this system is slotted to become part of my entertainment system later this year, once Threadripper 3 drops. Fortunately, I already have the blu ray player itself (scavenged from my 'bricked' laptop), but the other stuff I ordered (case, PS, CPU, etc.) has put me in the poor house for the next few months.

I'll probably use it with the entertainment center in the meantime, but for now it's primary purpose is rendering.

I wish Sponsorion or Subscribestar would get things rolling (again for SS). I suppose I could do Buy me a Coffee, but it seems that people don't make a lot of money with that service, so it might not be worth the trouble. Patreon is just out for me, since I like to live on the edge with my renders. I don't like the idea of them 'reviewing' my artistic endeavors regularly and holding pledge money hostage if they don't like something. No loli for me, but yeah the bestiality/monster sex...

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
I decided not to risk it, and sip the cool aid instead
You probably already know that Nvidia drivers 418.* made RTX cards stop working even on Daz 4.11, we will be stucked on 417.7 until the new Iray (and probably Daz) version came out. 418 is the first drive that use the tensor cores, this makes Daz experience a GPU error and fall back to cpu rendering.

I had to use Beta when I got my first 1070, I usually don't like beta versions because of some unexpected behaviours. What I experienced so far with 4.11 (using one RTX 2080 ti):

- The same scene, no changes at all, rendered on 4.10 and 4.11 resulted in different light results. Not a huge thing, but I don't like this behaviour:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

- The image start to come out much faster than 4.10 (I tested this behaviour with GTX 1070), from 5 minutes to 1. However the interactions after that are slower. This behaviour is good for me, because I assemble the scene, make a test render and save it for batch render latter.

- All other Daz's resources working fine, however there are several plugins not accessible on 4.11: decimator, keymate & graphmate...

About the card, I was in a hurry to move my old 1070s cards to another computer. I was planning to get two 1080ti exactly when 20xx were launched and surprisingly 1080's price rised. When I saw that RTX were already working on Daz 4.11 and some benchmarks showing renders almost at the half of 1080ti 's time, I decided to risk, and get one 2080ti instead of two 1080ti. After a long and sad soup opera, I ended up with a Galax Dual OC, stable for two weeks now. Even with their vapor chamber solution, the temperature are much higher than the 1070s. Even with fans fixed at 90% and 5 cabinet fans, the temper remained on the default target 85º, almost during all the render process.

I was looking back, the 10xx cards were launched on may 2016, and Daz public version that supported them came out in february, 2017. Making a very optimistic comparison, that they will reproduce the same delay, as 20xx cards were launched on september, 2018, we won't see this version until june. Add to that, there is a discussion about Optix / Optix prime that make seems that this time the problem will be more complex.

Windle Poons

Jun 14, 2017
- All other Daz's resources working fine, however there are several plugins not accessible on 4.11: decimator, keymate & graphmate...
keymate works in 4.11
either uninstall and reinstall in DIM or manually copy it from the 4.10 /plugins folder to 4.11 /plugins folder

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Long story, but my new rendering system is not connected to the internet, and I'm not planning to connect it in the near future. I settled for the 'default' Nvidia drivers that came with the 1080 Ti I ended picking up.

So my Daz install works fine, but it's not the new beta version. I'm installing products manually, which is a bit more of a pain, but still works. Note that you can put the Daz packages inside of the folder that DIM reads, and still have DIM install them, without an internet connection. The laptop I'm using right now to type this is how I'm acquiring the packages.

If PostgreSQL ever fails (it's failed on me a couple of times in the past), then I might have to rethink that strategy, but so far no issues. Knock on wood.

Reactions: thengineer

Krosos

Engaged Member
Dec 1, 2018
I personaly will never go back to DAZ my new Home is realtime and partly hybrid prebaked realtime all my shader improvements where lost time :D

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Long story, but my new rendering system is not connected to the internet, and I'm not planning to connect it in the near future. I settled for the 'default' Nvidia drivers that came with the 1080 Ti I ended picking up.

So my Daz install works fine, but it's not the new beta version. I'm installing products manually, which is a bit more of a pain, but still works. Note that you can put the Daz packages inside of the folder that DIM reads, and still have DIM install them, without an internet connection. The laptop I'm using right now to type this is how I'm acquiring the packages.

If PostgreSQL ever fails (it's failed on me a couple of times in the past), then I might have to rethink that strategy, but so far no issues. Knock on wood.
Since PostgreSQL failed on me when I moved to a new hard drive, I have tried to fix it multiple times to no avail. I have basically given up on that and have become quite accustomed to just using the regular content library, and doing a search in the Daz 3D library folder if I need something specific. Not the most elegant solution, but it works. Smart Content never really worked that well for me, because I use too much content that is not sold by Daz 3D (i.e., lots of third-party content and even Poser content).

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
Hi folks,

Nvidia last driver 419 is working for 2080 ti on 4.11, it seems the this one works for all models.

Since PostgreSQL failed on me when I moved to a new hard drive, I have tried to fix it multiple times to no avail. I have basically given up on that and have become quite accustomed to just using the regular content library, and doing a search in the Daz 3D library folder if I need something specific. Not the most elegant solution, but it works. Smart Content never really worked that well for me, because I use too much content that is not sold by Daz 3D (i.e., lots of third-party content and even Poser content).
You can add third part content on the database, right click on "Content Library" select "Content DB Editor...", you can categorize the product and set the compabilities, like the gen figure that works with.

You can completely clean the database, only keep the files on the DIM download folder, it should work after that:
1 - If you have DS set to log in automatically, turn that off
2 - Uninstall all products on DIM, except Daz Studio and PostgreSQL.
3 - Inside Daz Studio, select Content Library Pane->Content DB Maintenance->Reset Database.
4 - Unistall Daz and Postgre SQL on DIM.
5 - On folder C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms erase all files.
6 - Launch DIM and install DS and PostgreSQL, but no content.
7 - Close DIM and check in Task Manager that neither DIM nor PostgreSQL are running.
8 - Launch DIM and check in Task Manager that PostgreSQL is running.
9 - Install content with DIM.
10 - Launch DS but don't log in, go to"Content Library"->"Content DB Maintance" select Re-import and process metada.

I believe that no bug will survive this :)

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Hi folks,

Nvidia last driver 419 is working for 2080 ti on 4.11, it seems the this one works for all models.

You can add third part content on the database, right click on "Content Library" select "Content DB Editor...", you can categorize the product and set the compabilities, like the gen figure that works with.

You can completely clean the database, only keep the files on the DIM download folder, it should work after that:
1 - If you have DS set to log in automatically, turn that off
2 - Uninstall all products on DIM, except Daz Studio and PostgreSQL.
3 - Inside Daz Studio, select Content Library Pane->Content DB Maintenance->Reset Database.
4 - Unistall Daz and Postgre SQL on DIM.
5 - On folder C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\DAZ 3D\cms erase all files.
6 - Launch DIM and install DS and PostgreSQL, but no content.
7 - Close DIM and check in Task Manager that neither DIM nor PostgreSQL are running.
8 - Launch DIM and check in Task Manager that PostgreSQL is running.
9 - Install content with DIM.
10 - Launch DS but don't log in, go to"Content Library"->"Content DB Maintance" select Re-import and process metada.

I believe that no bug will survive this :)
Well, I did everything. Now PostgresSQL will load. However, I can't log on to Daz 3D, and now a bunch of stuff that is in current production is now broken. (Thank god for backups, eh?)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@seamanq

If you did the suggested steps, try a couple of system restarts, starting Daz each time. Sometimes that helps.

The fastest way I found to get my sql database working the last time around was to simply delete the /cms folder and let Daz rebuild that structure. Uninstalling and reinstalling PostgreSQL never has worked for me, but removing the data folder that PostgreSQL reads seems to do the trick. Of course, then you need to rebuild your database (as described above), but last time I think I just 'offline installed' a bunch of (newly purchased) products, rather than downloading them again, and the SQL database magically fixed itself during this process.

Hopefully you are able to get a handle on things. I've seen 'check internet permissions for PostgreSQL' mentioned in a few Daz tech support threads, but that didn't help in my case. Might be worth a look though.

The move to my new system was interesting (transplanted a SSD which had the os on it). In this case, everything seemed to just work, but I'd consider it a 'freak of nature' that it did. This is the same system that I mentioned that I wouldn't be connecting to the internet anytime soon (paranoia r.e. viruses or something). I've been doing offline installs ever since (i.e. manually downloading Daz packages and dragging them into the DIM install folder). I think NOT connecting to the internet has actually helped, but of course when SQL eventually fails, I may have to finally connect at that point.

BTW, I'm using this laptop I'm typing on to download my Daz stuff, and have a 256GB flash drive that I use to move files back and forth. As I said, after the 'bricked' issue with my uber laptop, I'm a lot more gunshy these days...

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
Well, I did everything. Now PostgresSQL will load. However, I can't log on to Daz 3D, and now a bunch of stuff that is in current production is now broken. (Thank god for backups, eh?)
Log in on Daz Studio? But you are still loging on DIM? That's very strange, none of these steps should affect the logon process.

I already changed one HD from one computer to another, and a few months ago moved everything to a SSD. This worked for me.

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
@MaxCarna

One of the times PostgreSQL failed me, I kept trying to log on inside of Daz Studio (there's a a login so that it can check the Daz database for product updates, products you haven't installed yet, etc.), it wouldn't let me log in using the login procedure. I'm not talking about the DIM login btw, I'm talking about the other one.

I wasn't able to get around this until I deleted the folder that PostgreSQL uses to store information. Once I completely deleted that folder, Daz rebuilt the folder structure the next time I started up Daz, and I was able to log in at that point. So apparently some information in the cms folder ties into your login in some way. I don't really understand the 'whys' but I just wanted to note that I had Studio login issues as well, so apparently it's possible for PostgreSQL to mess with your Daz login. I could still login using DIM btw, and even install stuff using DIM, I just couldn't use smart content or log in to Daz connect until I ruthlessly murderized the CMS folder.

I hope that @seamanq is able to figure something out. Smart content is a nice feature. Yes, you can work around it, but sometimes it can speed up finding random things significantly.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Log in on Daz Studio? But you are still loging on DIM? That's very strange, none of these steps should affect the logon process.

I already changed one HD from one computer to another, and a few months ago moved everything to a SSD. This worked for me.
Specifically, login to the CMS. (i.e., Smart Content window open, click "Login" in that panel). This all got started when I switched from one hard drive to another, and PostgreSQL and Smart Content have never worked on this drive configuration.

UPDATE: Ok, now the software makes a liar out of me. I logged into Daz 3D today, and it asked me to log in to Daz 3D (the website). Also no more error about PostgreSQL not loading. Upon logging in, it started updating the metadata. Now I just don't have thumbnails, but I have Smart Content. Go figure. Well, I'm off to figure out how to get the thumbnails back.

Jul 19, 2018
i actually have a pair of 1050TI overclocked, with an 8 core AMD processor...plus I'm taking a whack at building a render farm with all the extra bits i have laying around. with that said, i STILL am waiting epic hours of rendering if i want to have decent work. so....in other words, i hate to admit it, but i may have to use a commercial render farm.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Specifically, login to the CMS. (i.e., Smart Content window open, click "Login" in that panel). This all got started when I switched from one hard drive to another, and PostgreSQL and Smart Content have never worked on this drive configuration.

UPDATE: Ok, now the software makes a liar out of me. I logged into Daz 3D today, and it asked me to log in to Daz 3D (the website). Also no more error about PostgreSQL not loading. Upon logging in, it started updating the metadata. Now I just don't have thumbnails, but I have Smart Content. Go figure. Well, I'm off to figure out how to get the thumbnails back.
Looks like sixth time is the charm. After rebuilding the database, all the thumbnails came back. Woo hoo!

Reactions: OhWee

MaxCarna

Game Developer
Jun 13, 2017
I wasn't able to get around this until I deleted the folder that PostgreSQL uses to store information
Yes, I put in the step 5 to erase the cms folder content. Somethings keep locked there.

The instruction to open Daz and don't log in is to prevent the Daz Connect bring products not installed by DIM yet, you can create duplicates. I got used to always use Daz working offline, there is nothing that I missed so far. Always installing new products with DIM.

Looks like sixth time is the charm. After rebuilding the database, all the thumbnails came back. Woo hoo!
Now that you rechead the ground zero, try to add third party content using the DB Editor option.

Reactions: OhWee